dark knight costume for halloween

So. I've been having some problems with the neck armour. I still am doing but I think I have come up with a way around it for now.
I have decided to make it in 2 seperate pieces. 1 piece is is attatched to the shoulders and the other velcros on to the front of it.
Opinions, criticisms?

The mask is coming along great. have you seen Sonjou's DK thread? he posted patterns which are great!

Just checked out Sonjou's thread. Some great ideas on there.

Quick update on the mesh undersuit fabric. I decided not to go for undersuit/oversuit method as this is going to be a working costume for halloween, not a screen accurate replica for premieres!!! Lol. With that in mind I have sent my local sewing shop to the wholesalers in search of some fancy dress chainmail fabric. This way I only have to make the suit once with nothing under it. Will put a zip in the crotch and voila, a toilet friendly batman!!! Lol

The cowl is almost finished. Making some last minute alterations to it. Looking at other cowls I decided the nose wasn't pronounced enough on mine, so I extended it by 7mm. Seems to make the difference. Did a little work around the eyes and I'm considering taking a hacksaw to the ears and thinning them down a little??? Then I will be putting a black zip in the back, installing a better elasticated chin strap and finally plasti dipping the whole thing. Hopefully that should solve any of the wall filler cracking through too much movement.

And wariwen, as much as I do like the idea of probably being the only 'batman' at the release at my local cinema, unfortunately there are 2 aspects of british society that make that hazardous to my health. 1 is the local YOB culture, aka Chavs, that look for any difference to themselves to start trouble. The 2nd aspect being.... My WIFE!! Let's just say she's not as in to this as we are!! And while she will go see the movie with me, she won't sit next to me (as batman) to watch it! She'd probably join the Chavs and give me a good kicking!!!! Ah, married life!!! Hahahahahaaa

Well been having trouble finding suitable gloves for this so I have decided to modify some old leather gloves. Cover certain bits with a weave fabric and make some knuckles from papier mache. Pics to follow. Hopefully it will work. They were my favourite gloves!!! *fingers crossed*

So... I started to make the gloves as I said. Here are a couple update pics. I drew around the leather glove with the thumb tucked underneath to get the pattern. Using that pattern I simply matched up both sides and started to attatch the fabric.
I found the fabric by cannibalising an old store bought knight costume from california costumes.
Once the body of the top of the glove is covered I'm going to add the details- knucle armour finger armour etc. Then I'm going to buy some gloves that allow you to use a touch screen phone, cut the rubber finger pads off, glue them to the fingertips of these gloves and hey presto! I can use my phone without taking off my gloves and ruining the dark knight effect!!!

Wow! With cool calm collected improvisational skills like that, I could be..... A superhero! Hahahahahahahaaa

Some pics of the gloves. Essentially a before and after shot of first stage of modification. Will be using scrap pieces of leather from my wifes old handbag (that's a purse, to my colonial cousins across the pond!(Lol)) for the accents to the fingers and tips. More pics to follow.

And I know this is completely off topic but I thought you guys mighy appreciate this. Check out what I got for my twin girls due on 26th june!! How amazing are these???!

2nd attempt at vambraces. There will be a 3rd to follow but I'm really happy with the body of them. Will be re doing the straps and connecting them to the vambrace itself with elastic. Opinions or comments welcome.

Update of vambrace. I think one the straps are on and its resined and p-dipped it should look.... What's the word? Oh yes- Amazing! Whoo hoo!

Sorry its been a while since last post been busy with my newborn twins! Anyhoo.... These are the basic shapes for my leg armour. To be p-dipped and cemented to the undersuit. Unfortunately having a lot of trouble getting hold of some chain mail fabric so its looking like I'll be going with some anti slip mats for it instead, like Omel did.

Installed a zip into back of cowl for convenience. I know its not screen accurate but while making a cowl from gaffer tape card board and wall filler is quick and effective, it just doesn't give the stretch needed to put on without a zip, unlike a latex or urethane one!!! Will be tidying the cowl up before resining and p-dipping (if I can get the bloody stuff in england!!! £14 per 500ml spray over here. What is it in USA.... 4 bucks! Count yourselves lucky! Considering buying them from american vendor online, just got to work out shipping costs!!) Costume is coming together now. My spies have found the metallic chainmail fabric needed for the body suit too :-D

So. I got 2 metres of thin lightweight 60" taffeta fabric yesterday for the cloak. Really happy with movement tests. Will post pics when have pattern all cut and sewn. :)

Thanks buddy. Will look into that when I update the suit cos this is a budget thing and I already have the fancy dress chainmail and antislip mats. Currently working on my cape, really happy with it at the moment. :)

The beginning of my cape. Have put bamboo canes in the ends at the top so I can spread my wings. Its made from taffeta. I'm really happy with it so far.

A couple of updates here.

I have modified my cowl slightly with a more pronounced nose and I have stated making a mannequin called Heath. This is the first time I've seen my armour properly displayed. I'm very happy with it thus far!

Comments?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back