dark knight costume for halloween

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by ashholroyd, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Have started making a dark knight costume for halloween 2012. Used an Instructable for a rough and ready (authors words) cowl I found online. Added to it and am now paper mache-ing for strength with an eye to fibreglassing later. Any other tips on how to go about the rest of the suit, templates for armour etc. Not fussed if its not 100%. But really like the style of it. Think I'm in the minority there! Lol. Thanks in advance guys.

2. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

that actually looks pretty good. the ears are a little wide maybe :)
    im not sure how well papermache will hold on this. you might want to go with resin/bondo, that should hold a little better

3. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Cheers. Appreciate that. Did the first coat of mache last night. Adhered pretty well (thank god!). I had read that duct tape wasn't the best base for mache but had no alternative. That's what happens with 2 kids and 2 on the way-no bloody money for costuming!!! Lol. 2nd coat tonight after kids in bed. As long as it holds long enough for me to fibreglass afterwards then it should be fine.

I really like your pep Arkham Asylum batman bust. When I have a computer up and running (currently only online on my mobile phone) have been contemplating gettin a pep program for it, would you recommend?

4. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

And regarding the ears I've been looking at it for a week thinking 'somethings wrong. What's wrong with it?' And you hit the nail on the head.

5. EyeofSauron

pep is an awesome tool

some things need to be scratchbuilt, but some are just better off pepped. it wont decrease your work time, but you usually have a more detailed base, and its easy for beginners

6. chanfan

chanfan Well-Known Member

Keep it up! Looking good!

7. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Did the second coat of mache last night and so far it seems to be working. Tried it on this morning to see if it still fits (read that mache shrinks when it dries.) It went on no problem. Gonna sand it down after 6 layers or so before sealing it.

Does resin shrink after its dried and how do I go about the resin process???

8. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Just a quick update. Here is the cowl first papermached and then plastered. Hopefully it will keeep its shape and strength. Then it needs sanding and painting!!!

9. EyeofSauron

yeah sanding, my arch enemy. oh the lifetime im spending on sanding
    hey that rhymes :)

10. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

So this is the finished first attempt. Will try another when I have time. All painted up andi think it looks okay. Especially considering it cost exactly £6 stary to finish!!!!

11. EyeofSauron

you did a great job, considering replica cowls are somewhere around 300+ bucks :) its a little off in the eye part,but a very smooth finish overall, for the money nontheless. this needs more views. what did you use for filling, is it bondo, or something else?

12. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

I ended up using ordinary flexible wall filler. The kind you use for repairing cracks in plasterboard. Lol. Just used it more like a clay for the ridges and stuff and then sanded the whole thing down. Should have taken more time on the sanding as there are still visable pits and striations that the painting brought out. :-( I agree with you about the eyes, they definately needed more work.
    All in all though not bad if I do say so myelf. Won't win me any awards at a cosplay event (apart from maybe the cost of it!) But for a night on the tiles in the local clubs on halloween? I reckon I'd get some amazed faces!!! Lol
    Definately gonna try bondo (resin?) On the next one though as the 'flexible' wall filler has started cracking around the top of the nose. Luckily I sealed it with pva before painting so its not going anywhere, looks a bit unsightly though. Live and learn! Lol.

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. And when my next one is started I'll post the full evolution of the process for everyone.

13. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

With black eye make up.

14. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

When using Foamies for the armour pieces should I resin them prior to painting or just use an acrylic based paint? Don't want to waste resin if not needed. Thanks in advance for the answers.
    Ash

15. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Hi guys. Sorry its been a while between updates. Been busy with the family and work. Just a couple of things. Have decided to make all the armour out of neoprene craft foam, that will be plasti dipped. Will also be plasti dipping the cowl for uniformity of the costume. Have made gauntlets from card board which will also be plasti dipped and have made the belt out of nylon webbing and cardboard which I intend to resin prior to painting.
    Please see pics and post opinions. Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy the pics.

16. joee

joee Active Member

do you have patterns for this? or is it all by hand?
    btw try a test piece and seal with water mixed with glue (flexbond if you have it) it will seal your foam and you wont need as much plasti dip. infact if you use black foamies as a base it will cost even less.

17. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Done by hand. Will normal PVA glue do it?

18. omel

omel Well-Known Member

19. joee

joee Active Member

I've seen some use elmers glue. I've been using flexbond and its lasted me almost 3 years. its not to expensive and itll go a long way.

20. LoveofCountry

LoveofCountry Member

is flexbond the brand? You piqued my curiosity so I did a search and all i found was "goop" and a very expensive eyelash extension glue.

21. joee

joee Active Member

22. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

WOW, Nice work!!!

23. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. It keeps me going. I'm relatively new to all this so the advice is all useful for me. I do find, though, that living in England puts me at a slight disadvantage as far as materials go. So I find myself having to work around that. Will keep you all updated with the build as it grows. I can't wait til halloween now! There's gonna be a 5'5" dark knight stalking the shadows of the nearest tavern!

24. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Dude, I saw this build over on brotherhood of the bat. I'd already made BASIC gauntlets and then... Then I saw yours. 3 words; A. Maze. Ing! Inspired me there and then to do some better ones. In process of that now. Great work.
    Eci
    I was thinking of using that anti slip mat stuff too but decided on some fancy dress chain mail fabric body suit cos of the metallic look of it. Trying to find a supplier atm. But if I can't I can always fall back on your technique.

I made my cowl in the same way as yours with duct tape and a plastic bag but I sed wall filler for the details and smoothed a layer over all but the back. It keeps cracking though when I put it on. Think I'm gonna resin over it. Did yours crack at all with the plumbers putty?

25. omel

omel Well-Known Member

bro, i put plumbers putty only for the brow ,cheek ,eye and nose details. its held up pretty well over time, no cracks whatsoever, maybe because there is enough flexibility left because a big part of my cowl is still only duct tape with pva and paint. someday i might remake mine again. but not until i'm done with my current budget build vader, :), with regards to the undersuit, there is a material i've seen hereabouts ( used for making motocross gear) that i might try to source and have done one of these days, looks real close to the actual thing. good luck with your build. keep everyone posted.:thumbsup

26. RockerAnt

RockerAnt New Member

27. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

That's cool.

28. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Chest piece plus abdominal armour. Used hot glue and black nylon webbing to attatch.

29. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Side armour constructed and started work on shoulder bells.

30. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Used the good ol' papier mache balloon technique for the shoulder bells. Will reinforce with duct tape before resining and plasti dipping.

31. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Upper body armour almost all constructed. Started on neck armour and looking for some shin guards to do vambraces. I'm really happy with it so far.
    Side armour isn't attatched as yet. Will be doing that directly to suit.
    First pic shows everything so far.
    Second shows armour on.
    Third shows how the armour moves with me.

I feel like I have made some american football shoulder pads! The chest and abdominal armour attatches to shoulders with velcro.
    I think I should by shares in the velcro company I'm using that much!!

Opinions, advice and criticisms all welcome but please make it constructive!!:facepalm

32. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Changed the way I was doing the shoulder bells. Decided to use cardboard and foamies instead.

33. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

So, I was having trouble with the neck armour. Have gone through at least four different renditions of it. I believe I have solved the problem now though. Will post pics later on to show how I did it eventually.

34. omel

omel Well-Known Member

theres a template for the neck armour over at "the cave" which i found after i've done mine so one day i will use that template to remake my neck armour ( i believe posted by spidey4fun). cant wait for your progress pics update:)

35. quixote coyote

quixote coyote New Member

amazing work on the chest! once its p-dipped it will be spot on! great job, man.

36. mau5

mau5 Active Member

Could you share said template or link to it? I don't know what the cave is.

37. omel

omel Well-Known Member

http://bthecave.runboard.com/t676
    here ya go..:), but sorry its not actually a template ( just checked to confirm), but rather a shot of his CAD work on the pieces...but i'm pretty sure there is a template somewhere around here on RPF or on BOTB..

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  38. TimeSpills

TimeSpills New Member

Where did you get your gloves? I've been looking for similar gloves but they are all around $90!

39. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

So. I've been having some problems with the neck armour. I still am doing but I think I have come up with a way around it for now.
    I have decided to make it in 2 seperate pieces. 1 piece is is attatched to the shoulders and the other velcros on to the front of it.
    Opinions, criticisms?

40. wariwen

wariwen New Member

that is coming along great, if its done in time you should wear it to the release

41. Ibnzbass4

Ibnzbass4 Active Member

I think that is coming along really well.

42. omel

omel Well-Known Member

The mask is coming along great. have you seen Sonjou's DK thread? he posted patterns which are great!

43. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Just checked out Sonjou's thread. Some great ideas on there.

Quick update on the mesh undersuit fabric. I decided not to go for undersuit/oversuit method as this is going to be a working costume for halloween, not a screen accurate replica for premieres!!! Lol. With that in mind I have sent my local sewing shop to the wholesalers in search of some fancy dress chainmail fabric. This way I only have to make the suit once with nothing under it. Will put a zip in the crotch and voila, a toilet friendly batman!!! Lol

The cowl is almost finished. Making some last minute alterations to it. Looking at other cowls I decided the nose wasn't pronounced enough on mine, so I extended it by 7mm. Seems to make the difference. Did a little work around the eyes and I'm considering taking a hacksaw to the ears and thinning them down a little??? Then I will be putting a black zip in the back, installing a better elasticated chin strap and finally plasti dipping the whole thing. Hopefully that should solve any of the wall filler cracking through too much movement.

And wariwen, as much as I do like the idea of probably being the only 'batman' at the release at my local cinema, unfortunately there are 2 aspects of british society that make that hazardous to my health. 1 is the local YOB culture, aka Chavs, that look for any difference to themselves to start trouble. The 2nd aspect being.... My WIFE!! Let's just say she's not as in to this as we are!! And while she will go see the movie with me, she won't sit next to me (as batman) to watch it! She'd probably join the Chavs and give me a good kicking!!!! Ah, married life!!! Hahahahahaaa

44. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Few updated pics and close ups of collar and neck armour, cowl and fabric I'm using for undersuit.

45. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Well been having trouble finding suitable gloves for this so I have decided to modify some old leather gloves. Cover certain bits with a weave fabric and make some knuckles from papier mache. Pics to follow. Hopefully it will work. They were my favourite gloves!!! *fingers crossed*

46. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

So... I started to make the gloves as I said. Here are a couple update pics. I drew around the leather glove with the thumb tucked underneath to get the pattern. Using that pattern I simply matched up both sides and started to attatch the fabric.
    I found the fabric by cannibalising an old store bought knight costume from california costumes.
    Once the body of the top of the glove is covered I'm going to add the details- knucle armour finger armour etc. Then I'm going to buy some gloves that allow you to use a touch screen phone, cut the rubber finger pads off, glue them to the fingertips of these gloves and hey presto! I can use my phone without taking off my gloves and ruining the dark knight effect!!!

Wow! With cool calm collected improvisational skills like that, I could be..... A superhero! Hahahahahahahaaa

47. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Some pics of the gloves. Essentially a before and after shot of first stage of modification. Will be using scrap pieces of leather from my wifes old handbag (that's a purse, to my colonial cousins across the pond!(Lol)) for the accents to the fingers and tips. More pics to follow.

48. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

And I know this is completely off topic but I thought you guys mighy appreciate this. Check out what I got for my twin girls due on 26th june!! How amazing are these???!

49. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

2nd attempt at vambraces. There will be a 3rd to follow but I'm really happy with the body of them. Will be re doing the straps and connecting them to the vambrace itself with elastic. Opinions or comments welcome.

50. ashholroyd

ashholroyd New Member

Update of vambrace. I think one the straps are on and its resined and p-dipped it should look.... What's the word? Oh yes- Amazing! Whoo hoo!