Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Holodisc - Is this a found item?

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Holodisc.png

Any idea if this thing was made especially for the game from scratch, or if it's actually part of a real world item? I looks tantalisingly familiar, like part of a really old computer (rotating disk for breaking up a light beam into encoded pulses of light).

8L5pC2h.jpg

It's even popped up in Rebels:

DCUT0xg.jpg

If it's found parts, it's multiple parts. The silver disc look a lot like an eraser template, but i never saw a round one.

The close ups show it to be really rough so it's most likely production made.

There was someone looking to do a run a few months back but I don't think it happened.

Like with the sabers, it is different from the CG renderings.

I've been eyeing that one for years. The silver part could be anything from a shower drain to a hamburger grinder output thingie (no idea what they are called, extruder?). Who knows. I think someone in one of the Kyle blaster threads worked on the game. He said he had pics of the blaster, but never posted them. I'm wondering if he had some of this too?

Funny as it sounds, I wonder if it's something as simple as something like a handheld pizza cutter? It looks to be the same size as one and the shape is similar. The blade could have been either removed and a piece of tin put in it with holes randomly drilled into it or the blade might have just had the sharp edge filed down and then had holes drilled in.

Something like this...
91yM0h1Qc4L._SY355_.jpg

I remember someone here making one of these years ago... I think it was done from scratch though.

Not familiar with many pizza cutters that over 5 inches in diameter :) Maybe some restaraunt level ones... but doesn't really look like one to me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back