Dark Forces II - 3D Printed Lightsabers

That plate is only on the top.
I studied all the cut scenes and it's just a strip on the top.
The cg render as it pops out of the droid is different than the physical prop and has the strip extend all the way to the end.

I am guessing that the people that make them with the full side plate use the drawing on the load page that isn't even of his saber.

All artwork in game has no plate.

Yuns saber is cupped so it drops on both sides.
You can see it while it's on the ground and when Kyle is holding it at the end.

As far as I can tell from the cut scenes Jereks saber grip is just painted black and silver.
It's possible the may be added layers but it's hard to tell.
I suggest watching the cut scenes on YouTube.

That plate is only on the top.
I studied all the cut scenes and it's just a strip on the top.
The cg render as it pops out of the droid is different than the physical prop and has the strip extend all the way to the end.

I am guessing that the people that make them with the full side plate use the drawing on the load page that isn't even of his saber.

All artwork in game has no plate.

Yuns saber is cupped so it drops on both sides.
You can see it while it's on the ground and when Kyle is holding it at the end.

As far as I can tell from the cut scenes Jereks saber grip is just painted black and silver.
It's possible the may be added layers but it's hard to tell.
I suggest watching the cut scenes on YouTube.

Well im trying to be as accurate as possible so ill watch the cut scenes again! Been a long time since i saw them.
Cheers for the Tips!

Managed to get a few good screens!

I see as was mentioned about Yun's saber being cupped on both sides so ill remodel that before i print it.
As for the Rahn im pretty sure i've got the plate right? It covers the top mid section of the saber on the left side of the activation plate up to the choke before the emitter? I see on the CG model it goes up onto the emitter itself but ill be sticking to the live action version.

Here's a link to the cut scenes.

If you look closely at the emitter end you will see that all the dents and scratches match the book illustration showing the right side.
I used that and the screen caps from the cut scenes when I made mine.

14" might work for the DF3 saber but something in the 11" - 11.5" range is probably more accurate since that is the scale of Graflex, MPP and Heiland sabers.

Interesting.
I watched that section several times and screen capped it but never saw the side plate.

Well there you go.
Wonder if it's a different one than the one Kyle actually uses since it had to be smashed.

Per the creator - that sucker is nearly 14" long. They verified my drawing of it back then.

That is indeed pretty big. My OWK Ep1 is about 28.5 cm(11.2") and my personally designed lightsaber is about 29 cm(11.4") compared to Katarn's 35.5 cm(14")

I very nearly paid over £80 for a cast of one last year, glad i didn't now! Depending on costs ill probably be able to do a few kits if your interested.

That is quite a bit yes, hehe. Thank you very much for the kind offer. However I must decline simply because I would like it in metal :p aluminum/steel and brass and such

14" might work for the DF3 saber but something in the 11" - 11.5" range is probably more accurate since that is the scale of Graflex, MPP and Heiland sabers.

That seems to be the general length for saber hilts :)

That picture showing the side plate has a lot of wrinkles.
I wonder if its actually duct tape or something.

edit,
Ran your picture through a few filters in photoshop. (curves, burn, dodge)
I'm going to say it's tape.
Valleys between the ribbing, a bend where it hits the large black center and even the edge where one piece covers the other.

Last edited:
Serious? Mines scaled to 12" and i thought that was big enough! Happen to have that drawing that i could maybe get a peek at? :D

So, i was off a tad...it's almost 13 inches long - it's been a LONG time since i drew it up - like first month after the game was out :) My email went to the manager first who then forwarded it to the actual designer who said i totally nailed it :)
kyle_giant.pngkyle_game_render.jpg

Something I just found:
Someone making a feature length film, using the Unreal Engine I believe

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture showing the side plate has a lot of wrinkles.
I wonder if its actually duct tape or something.

edit,
Ran your picture through a few filters in photoshop. (curves, burn, dodge)
I'm going to say it's tape.
Valleys between the ribbing, a bend where it hits the large black center and even the edge where one piece covers the other.

The video I got my screen grabs from are the same one you linked me on YouTube. At first I took regular grabs and used various enhancements in Ps but ended up just downloading the video and upscaling the resolution in After Effects. The downside to early FMV is motion blur so not a lot can be used.
I'll just have to try be as accurate as possible.
If they put tape on there to make it look like the plate then they must have wanted it seen.

I loved DF2 definitely hoping for some runs of the sabers.

The plan is to possibly release kits! I've a friend who works in chrome plating so I might see if I can get a good deal. 3D printed parts, chrome plated and then all you would need to do is buy 1" chrome tubing for the inside and any additional paint for detailing and weathering!

The plan is to possibly release kits! I've a friend who works in chrome plating so I might see if I can get a good deal. 3D printed parts, chrome plated and then all you would need to do is buy 1" chrome tubing for the inside and any additional paint for detailing and weathering!

Awesome!

So, i was off a tad...it's almost 13 inches long - it's been a LONG time since i drew it up - like first month after the game was out :) My email went to the manager first who then forwarded it to the actual designer who said i totally nailed it :)
View attachment 617698View attachment 617699

This is excellent reference!! i was planning on doing kyles saber (possibly as a cutaway or crystal chamber) and these will save me a lot of time!

Here's my Kyle saber. I don't know who made it but they did a pretty nice job. The belt ring is an eyehook like the one in the cutscenes. Right now I have it taken apart to upgrade, adding the shield to the side.

2cxgpok.jpg

35a80ua.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back