Dark Forces II - 3D Printed Lightsabers

IamSteve

Hi All!

Just thought id show off something I'm working on.

A few weeks ago i got myself a CTC 3D Printer (which is a makerbot clone). Ive been messing around with Autodesk 123D for a while, learning mostly via lynda.com.

After getting the printer as good as i can (waiting on a few more upgrades and better software) i decided to just get stuck into a project!

Im a massive fan of the entire DF/JK/JKA series of video games, in particular Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight - it was the first star wars game i ever played. I wanted something cool to show my love for the game so i decided to model and print the lightsabers used both by Kyle Katarn (Qu Rahns) and the 7 Dark Jedi.

So i grabbed what reference material i could from the interwebs and spent the last few days in 123D. I modelled two versions of Qu Rahn's, a low quality and a high quality that had additional details.

Qu Rahn / Kyle Katarn.

This was the first one i modelled (hence the lack of materials), the one pictured is technically version 2 with some of the additional details removed to simplify printing.
QuRahn.jpg

Yun
Yun.jpg

Jerec
Jerec.jpg

Sariss
sariss.jpg

Boc (minus hand wrap)
boc.jpg

Ive still to model Maw's, Gork and Pic

-----

The first print i did was a V1 Qu Rahn. Just to see how it would turn out.I seperated the model in netfabb and printed it over 10 hours, then started sanding!

DSC_0194.jpg

What i found is that i must have an alignment issue as instead of being circular its actually slightly oval shaped. No matter as its only really an experiment. It means though that the seams are quite obvious.

I smoothed it down with a 2 part resin called Zap Z-Poxy. I got the tip off a youtube video and it works pretty well. My only gripe is its quite viscous and a bit difficult to spread.
DSC_0226.jpg

Although the resin is supposed to set in 30 minutes, i found using other test pieces that it was still tacky up to an hour, so i left it for two before giving it a quick sand then a coat of filler primer.

DSC_0435.jpg

After it dried i got my file set out to sharpen up some of the details, then gave the entire thing a wet sand, a second coat of filler primer and another wet sand. Entire process took about an hour.

At the moment its currently outside drying after a coat of black primer. Ill post more pictures as i continue! More than likely ill re print the Rahn anyway to get both a more accurate replica and a better print!

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
Looking good, Steve!

If you have a way to get XTC-3D I recommend it. When applied in very thin coats, it's a great product.

-Ss

Today i masked off the black (roughly as its still only a prototype) and gave it a coat of silver. Though to be fair it was less like paint and more like spray glitter. Didnt want to use expensive paint on a cheap print :D

I should have spent more time on cleanup aswell and probably put a thin top coat between the black and silver but hey, its just a rough one!

DSC_0437.jpgDSC_0439.jpg

Next ill do a bit of weathering and add the copper colour to the neck and call it finished for a version 1.

Ive discovered a ton of things about this print that will show a benefit when i come to do more. Especially what way im going to build them, which means more detailed models, seperate parts and getting my printer set properly so that its printing cylinders properly and not slightly ovular.

More to come over the weekend!

Very cool! Looking forward to following your progress with these!

Thanks!!

I've just started re-modelling the Rahn to make it easier to print and assemble without seams. Then there's less smoothing/sanding/warping etc

After i do them i might move onto others but probably stick to lesser known sabers mostly because you can get decent models of all the movie sabers on different sites!

If anyone has any requests ill be happy to give it a go!

Also if anyones interested i might release some of the STL files for people to print at home!

I'm sure you'd get people interested in the STL files!

I never got into the video games, but I was into that era of EU. I always wanted a Vima Da Boda lightsaber from Dark Empire.

Yep! It looks a little different depending on which panel you reference. If my scanner wasn't down I'd offer up more reference.

If you have the comics there just grab some snaps from your phone or camera and send them to me, once i get these done ill happily model it for you and send you the STL file =]

Decided before i continued on with my builds to examine my models a little better and rebuild them for printing ease.

Starting with Yun as theres not many parts (plus i really want this saber =D) i split it all down and removed the middle core tubing as its pointless to print it when i can just buy 1,4" PVC tubing and use it instead. Simplification!

Currently printing the pommel, so ill go out today and buy the pipe and post pictures once ive it assembled

I love DF2, I made a few add-on levels for it back in the day.

The shield plate on the side of Kyle's saber I don't think goes all the way to the bottom, I think it's more like 2/3 or 3/4 down.

If you have the comics there just grab some snaps from your phone or camera and send them to me, once i get these done ill happily model it for you and send you the STL file =]

Cool, thanks! I'll have to dig out the comics. I also made some drawings years ago of how I thought it should look based on the references but I've been unable to find that notebook. :( I drew that one and the one that Leia steals from the Emperor and has for a very short time.

I love DF2, I made a few add-on levels for it back in the day.

The shield plate on the side of Kyle's saber I don't think goes all the way to the bottom, I think it's more like 2/3 or 3/4 down.

See i thought that too but i was using this picture for reference.

DSC06851.jpg

it goes the whole way down on it. Ive remodeled it now anyway in parts so if i decide to do kits it can be cut!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back