Dan Laws ESB TK Bucket

BobasBounty

Sr Member
Just about finished with this helmet. Just need to work on the hovi mic tips. Decided to post a couple comparison photos to see what everyone thinks so far. I based this off one of the ESB buckets auctioned off by Christies in 2003. I wasn't going for an exact replication but more of an interpretation.

This is one of Dan's tan HDPE helmet kits. I really like these kits. The details are really sharp and the kits are great to work with. I used Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter as a base layer after sanding the entire helmet with "3M Between Coats Finishing Pads." I then sprayed it with Krylon Fusion "gloss" white. The Krylon finish was less desirable so I gave it a couple coats of gloss white Rustoleum Automotive Paint. It was a vast improvement especially when wet sanded with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper followed up by rubbing compound. I used Testors enamel paint (gloss gray #1138 and and semi-gloss black #1139) for the details. I find Testors easier to work with. The stripes, teardrops and polygons are from the ESB decal set sold by Trooper Bay.

ESB Compare.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks real good! I wish there was a way to mimick the lighting used in the auction shots on the right. Regardless, the paint work you've done is very impressive.

I have found that my photos tend to turn out the best in sunlight. For some reason all of the lights in my house give off a yellowish light.

How long would you say the whole paint job takes, including drying time, all of the sanding, etc.? It really turned out fantastic!

Very nice work. A lesson for the rest of us is a great paint job is a combination of choosing the right paint and using the right techniques.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back