D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

used to like this show. Now with it being on cw and local cable does not offer cw on demand it is an easy skip. I like Melissa Benoist she is perfect supergirl. I like MM and her parents but the rest of the characters leave a lot to be desired. As mentioned the show is now an easy skip.

never been a tat person myself.. eww

I am normally not a tattoo fan either, but it really all depends on the person wearing it, what it is, and where it's located.

In the case of Roulette on Supergirl, I think they picked the perfect actress to apply the fake tattoos to, as she pulls it off nicely.

Always been a fan of tattoos, although it annoys me in a very childish way how popular they've become. Once upon a time mine made me look a little rebellious. Back when practically no one had them accept bikers and sailors. Now, combined with my short hair, I just look like I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else.

On the plus side...no one cares anymore when it comes to hiring people with them, whereas once you had to make extra sure everything was covered at interviews and at work even after being hired.

ever since i learned how they where made as a kid i always found it gross. that combined with my imperfect psoriasis ridden skin, i will never understand why someone would want to ruin GOOD skin forever ;/

Always been a fan of tattoos, although it annoys me in a very childish way how popular they've become.

I get that, really. It's a similar thing to how "nerd culture" (that's a phrase I wish didn't exist) has been appropriated as a cool new trend, similar to hipsterism, grunge, and cowboy attire became ultra popular. Basically, the masses are sheep who will do what the shepherd tells them to do, and those shepherds are the ones making the money. They spot a new trend, spend some capital developing and marketing it, then rake in the money as the masses flock to the store in an effort to be an individual just like all the rest of them.

Great Analysis - Can I throw in the big wooly Duck Dynasty Beards in with that & get an Amen!

I get that, really. It's a similar thing to how "nerd culture" (that's a phrase I wish didn't exist) has been appropriated as a cool new trend, similar to hipsterism, grunge, and cowboy attire became ultra popular. Basically, the masses are sheep who will do what the shepherd tells them to do, and those shepherds are the ones making the money. They spot a new trend, spend some capital developing and marketing it, then rake in the money as the masses flock to the store in an effort to be an individual just like all the rest of them.

careful, you'll send some people to their safe spaces cause your criticizing things ;o).

Not that i don't dissagree. thanks to trends like that, we now get popular trip with what used to be special and fun and unique. Case in Point JJ Trek and Bay Turtles.

careful, you'll send some people to their safe spaces cause your criticizing things ;o).

1) You better get to your safe space because it's "you're" not "your." :lol

2) The very concept of a "safe space" offends me on a deep level. The real world gives exactly two craps and a monkey's fart less about your personal safe space. Your boss isn't gonna care about whether or not you are triggered by something or are experiencing microagressions (fun fact: the guy who coined the term microagression now completely regrets it). Your superiors expect one thing, and one thing only: results. If you cannot produce results, then you are going to be fired. It's as simple as that.

Additionally, the "safe space" itself is a corruption of its intended purpose. Traditionally, a safe space is meant for someone who has experienced a trauma to go so they can calm down. Rape victims, crime victims, veterans with PTSD, all of them used safe spaces. Now it's been appropriated for use in places where it should NEVER be used. You have these Feminazi idiots (Note: I am a feminist, as feminists believe in gender equality. Feminazis, however, are the ones who believe that men should be below women socially) like Melody Hinsley and Trigglypuff, the Social Justice Warriors, and other over the top idiot groups who think it's okay to scream and shout you down, but if you say one thing in return, you're the privileged ******.

Safe spaces have gotten so ridiculous that they now have some colleges creating "intellectual safe spaces," where students can go to avoid ideas and perspectives at odds with their own. The ENTIRE PURPOSE OF COLLEGE is to challenge a person's viewpoint and make them think while providing them an education that they can become productive members of society. To create these intellectual safe spaces is 100% against that ideal.

Sorry, kinda went on an off-topic rant.

1) You better get to your safe space because it's "you're" not "your." :lol

2) The very concept of a "safe space" offends me on a deep level. The real world gives exactly two craps and a monkey's fart less about your personal safe space. Your boss isn't gonna care about whether or not you are triggered by something or are experiencing microagressions (fun fact: the guy who coined the term microagression now completely regrets it). Your superiors expect one thing, and one thing only: results. If you cannot produce results, then you are going to be fired. It's as simple as that.

Additionally, the "safe space" itself is a corruption of its intended purpose. Traditionally, a safe space is meant for someone who has experienced a trauma to go so they can calm down. Rape victims, crime victims, veterans with PTSD, all of them used safe spaces. Now it's been appropriated for use in places where it should NEVER be used. You have these Feminazi idiots (Note: I am a feminist, as feminists believe in gender equality. Feminazis, however, are the ones who believe that men should be below women socially) like Melody Hinsley and Trigglypuff, the Social Justice Warriors, and other over the top idiot groups who think it's okay to scream and shout you down, but if you say one thing in return, you're the privileged ******.

Safe spaces have gotten so ridiculous that they now have some colleges creating "intellectual safe spaces," where students can go to avoid ideas and perspectives at odds with their own. The ENTIRE PURPOSE OF COLLEGE is to challenge a person's viewpoint and make them think while providing them an education that they can become productive members of society. To create these intellectual safe spaces is 100% against that ideal.

Sorry, kinda went on an off-topic rant.

No worries ;o)

We're all do a few every now and then ;o).
that was my mini rant at people who'd get all out of whack over what you wrote ;o)

It HAS gotten to the point of stupidty now, hasn't it?

Just got caught up.

It's not girl power. It's just that for some reason the writers seem to believe that being good as a boss means being horrible to your employees. Makes you wonder how awful it is to work on this show.

They replaced overbearing cartoony woman boss with overbearing cartoony guy boss and it's not an improvement. At least Calista Flockhart was more likeable.

Was OK with the the rest of it..the whole show can get cartoony at times, but only twice did it get so bad that I had to pause to remind myself that it's just part of the show and you have to expect some cringe-worthy stupidity from time to time. This time it was first: when she caught the villain and tried to arrest her but the villain talked her out of it. That was just dumb. Then after they finally arrested the villain (operating without a liqueur license is apparently a bigger crime then kidnapping and attempted murder of a federal agent) they let her go because of "orders from on high"...which sometimes happens in real life, but only if it's something that a reporter wont spot...if only there was a reporter on this show...

I'll still keep watching though. I can't believe I'm actually wanting them to bring Cat back.

Just got caught up.

It's not girl power. It's just that for some reason the writers seem to believe that being good as a boss means being horrible to your employees. Makes you wonder how awful it is to work on this show.

They replaced overbearing cartoony woman boss with overbearing cartoony guy boss and it's not an improvement. At least Calista Flockhart was more likeable.

Was OK with the the rest of it..the whole show can get cartoony at times, but only twice did it get so bad that I had to pause to remind myself that it's just part of the show and you have to expect some cringe-worthy stupidity from time to time. This time it was first: when she caught the villain and tried to arrest her but the villain talked her out of it. That was just dumb. Then after they finally arrested the villain (operating without a liqueur license is apparently a bigger crime then kidnapping and attempted murder of a federal agent) they let her go because of "orders from on high"...which sometimes happens in real life, but only if it's something that a reporter wont spot...if only there was a reporter on this show...

I'll still keep watching though. I can't believe I'm actually wanting them to bring Cat back.

I never saw Cat, nor do I see Snapper, as an "overbearing, cartoony boss."

I see them as people who have fought their way tooth and nail to get where they are. They want their employees to succeed, but at the same time, they aren't going to hand them their success. They have to earn it, just like they did. They push their employees buttons and grind in to them to weed out those that can't hack it. Cat, in particular, has an amazing innate sense about people. You'll note that Cat knew that Kara would eventually become a reporter during their initial interview, and would push and push and push her, but just before she went too far, she would back off and offer up some sage advice. Snapper's a lot like that, too, though he is admittedly a lot more cynical about everything. However, Cat hired him too, meaning that she understood that despite his flaws and his boorish attitude, he would do good things for her company and get the journalism department up to snuff.

On another note, am I the only one who thought this?

LEczTum.gif

Edit: I wrote a whole thing, but then I thought about it for a minute and it's possible I just need to stop over analyzing and just watch the show.

Last edited:
ever since i learned how they where made as a kid i always found it gross. that combined with my imperfect psoriasis ridden skin, i will never understand why someone would want to ruin GOOD skin forever ;/

Same here. I hate tattoos. I think that anyone who wants to draw all over themselves with permanent marker is immature.

Observation: Watching (and laughing at) the 'No Capes' gif several times... I can't believe I only just noticed that Kara's boots are blue on the inside. Were they this way in S1, or is it a S2 change?

Agreed! The 'late bloomer' realisation isn't often shown on screen, so it's nice to see this handled well.

A friend who happens to be lesbian watched it and was moved to tears by how Alex, while pretty much confessing to Maggie that she might be gay, just couldn't say the word "gay" or "lesbian" out loud. She told me that it reminded her of when she was first realizing that she was gay. She couldn't even say the words out loud either and it took her at least a month before she could say it out loud without the words catching in her throat. It's one thing to use the words in casual conversation, and it's something else entirely to use it as a label for yourself.

So kudos to both the writing team and to Chyler Leigh for really going for the realism.

So,

I mostly checked out the superman episode just to see if the tone shifted from SJW to super hero. It felt like it did....
but it didn't renew my interest in the show enough to finish the second superman episode.

There is just something missing from supergirl. I don't know if it's actor chemistry, bad writing, or what... but it just doesn't flow together as well as flash has done.

And checking out a little bit of this latest episode just to see how they handled it...

- My god that news briefing room scene was painfully bad acting. Cool jimmy and whoever that new talking head is couldn't even get their lines out with conviction.
-Are we going to totally forget that danvers either dated, or liked bland evil super villain lex luthor clone from last season? Absolutely Zero setup. No hints.
It just a complete character 180 = bad writing. and why is it even being addressed in a super hero show, where the action should be focused on fighting?
Hell, the Bland, Chemistry less Kara, Jimmy romance slowed things down 500% any time it was on screen. but at least Danvers and this new lady seemed to pretend to like each other.

I sometimes wonder if moral on the set is low. it doesn't seem like people are having much fun, except for perhaps mellisa. everyone else just seems like they are phoning it in.

think that's it for me and supergirl.with about 5 episodes unwatched, the interest just isn't there. I never bothered with Arrow cause it looked too dark and depressing. Gotham looks pointless without batman. at least there is flash to keep me constantly wowed.

I think they gave this Berlanti guy too many shows too soon, and he's stretched super thin. doesn't he have ANOTHER one coming out too?

---- edit----

reading further into this.. apparently there IS a Danvers in the comics whose been around since the 80s, who has come out as gay. OK then. i reverse my previous stance. BUT, for those who don't know this fact? And how we perceive the show as a whole? I still call it BAD writing. a little hint now and then for the un informed would go a LONG way to not making it seem like bad writing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back