D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

More nods to the original film than I expected, and they fit well enough for me. This episode was almost better than anything the previous season had shown so I'm happy.

So...watching a little bit of s2-1

You have NO idea how refreshing it is to see all these SMILES on these super heroe's. people who ENJOY being heroes. enjoy saving lives. enjoy arresting criminals.

it's a breath of fresh air.

So far, the first 20 minutes or so seem more on the level of the Flash than Supergirl season 1 ever did.

loved the diapers line.

Things I groaned at so far.

When did lex ever have a sister? although I guess the female braniac caught me un awares, so this is probably real too.

jimmy is probably the weakest actor on the show. granted he's not given much to do, but it kind of slows to a halt when he's on screen.

The new guy is not only a good clark, he's also a darn good superman.

has it figured out who pod guy is yet?

So...watching a little bit of s2-1

You have NO idea how refreshing it is to see all these SMILES on these super heroe's. people who ENJOY being heroes. enjoy saving lives. enjoy arresting criminals.

it's a breath of fresh air.

So far, the first 20 minutes or so seem more on the level of the Flash than Supergirl season 1 ever did.

loved the diapers line.

Things I groaned at so far.

When did lex ever have a sister? although I guess the female braniac caught me un awares, so this is probably real too.

jimmy is probably the weakest actor on the show. granted he's not given much to do, but it kind of slows to a halt when he's on screen.

The new guy is not only a good clark, he's also a darn good superman.

has it figured out who pod guy is yet?

Lena Luthor first appeared in 1961 I think, she's been in a few of the animated movies too I think.

haha, you wont like where they are going with Jimmy then - I also agree. I think when he is given positive material, it works, but with anything else, he falls flat.

The pod guy is Mon-El but they havent discovered that on the show on episode 1 (watching ep 2 today)

Well that was vexing. Spoilers ahead.

About three good moments.

Kara and Cat discussion about Cat leaving - emotional, good.
Superman and Martian Manhunter team up - good. (Hand to facepalm when MM actually shouted "strength in numbers" as he joined the battle though. *****)
The Crisis on Infinite Earths cover homage - good.

Everything else was so...horrible. We have not one...but two Metallos. Ok, can handle that. Its a Cadmus program. Where there are evviiiiilll scientists against Aliens. So the two Metallos fight for Cadmus without question....why? One of which was taken away forcibly, and the other operated on without his consent - so mind control has to be there right? Yet it never hints at that at all. Power levels all over the place to suit the story. Character motivations swinging wildly back and forth. Kara wants to move to Metropolis. No wait, she doesn't because she's guilted into staying and changes her mind. Jimmy becomes head of Cat-co...what? Even if its temporary...what? Winslow working for DEO was a stretch at first but the Jimmy thing...what? For two episodes all we've heard is "we'll help find Jeremiah" - really? You havent started helping yet? why? what the hell? Alex is fine with Superman, no wait, she's jealous...wait...she's angry at him for abandoning Kara...hang on. No she isn't. Kryptonite saved the day (twice) because it helped stop Myriad...and now the Kyrptosuit helped beat Metallo. And yet it didn't affect Supergirl mid fight. And both fights seemingly ended in two kills, though I think Superman saying "rest there" indicates he isn't dead. How could they know that REMOVING their hearts wouldnt kill them? WHAT?

I'm normally open to the positives, and I really tried here - there were a few moments that just were great to be on screen in live action. But it all played out like a forgettable comic book, and not in a semi-charming way like last week.

...but WHAT?!? That was on par with some of Smallvilles much weaker episodes, in my opinion.

I enjoyed the episode overall. I'm a really a fan of the way he plays Clark and more importantly how he transitions from Superman to Clark. It really looks like 2 distinct personalities.

Now who want's to bet $5 that someone at the CW is thinking that with all the great response they have to Superman that a Superman series will be pitched?

I enjoyed the episode overall. I'm a really a fan of the way he plays Clark and more importantly how he transitions from Superman to Clark. It really looks like 2 distinct personalities.

Now who want's to bet $5 that someone at the CW is thinking that with all the great response they have to Superman that a Superman series will be pitched?

Honestly? I'd watch it.

I think that was the point of bringing him into the show.

Thing is, CW has what? 10 hours of original programming a week? They stop at 10E/9C for the night and don't do anything on weekends. They've now got 4 DC shoes. There was talk of the same group doing Constantine as well. I'd love if they did a SM show, as they clearly know what they're doing, are fans, and beat the snot out of the movies. But, are they going to turn 1/2 the network over to one production team for DC shows?

http://www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/13543-the-ratings-are-in-for-supergirl-s-cw-debut

With Supergirl moving from CBS to the CW for its second season, some fans were worried the show's audience wouldn't follow it. Well, it turns out there's nothing to worry about because the ratings are in for the show's CW debut, and Supergirl is certainly flying high.

Supergirl's season premiere scored a 1.1 rating and 3.02 million viewers - which are some great numbers. To put it into perspective, Arrow managed only an 0.7 rating and 1.89 million viewers for its season 5 premiere. Those ratings for Supergirl, while down compared to the numbers the show had on powerhouse network CBS, are great for the CW; even better than what the Emmy-winning Crazy Ex-Girlfriend scored in the same time slot for the network last year.

The real test for Supergirl will be its staying power in the weeks to come. The premiere's numbers may have been inflated due to the show's version of Superman making his debut in the episode, and given that he's probably the most popular comic book character of all-time, it seems likely that some viewers tuned in to see this newest incarnation of him (and see if he's better than the Superman currently in the movies). But at the same time, Supergirl has a lot of loyal fans and solid reviews of its own, so we don't expect to see too much of a drop off. In fact, we're confident she'll fit in just fine with the rest of her new DC family.

I liked the last 2 episodes and I really like their Superman.. I was worried but he's a good Superman for me.
I just didn't like the Metallos. They just didn't have the right energy, for me.
The body movement was weird and so were the facial expressions, when Metallo was fighting.
I then realized.. wait.. the whole exposed chest was fake.
That's why It was sticking out more than the rest of their bodies and didn't match the natural skin tone.
I kept thinking to myself "Smallville's Metallo was better"
but everything else was fine. I loved Win's reactions to Superman
I hope him and Cisco meet.

Just saw S2E1...

I like this Superman a lot. Kind of hate how his cape is in the front also. Kara's suit is better. But the actor is good.

Also agree about Jimmy Olsen being weak. The actor is plenty likable...I just find myself a little bored when his character is around. I still hate that they made Jimmy Olsen cool. especially when they actually have a Jimmy Olsen type in the show, just renamed. 'Change just to be change' usually translates to 'Stupid just to be stupid'.

Kat is better, but still annoying. Also agree about the real world politics. This election is important, everyone gets it. But we definitely get to hear enough about politics right now. This year might end up being enough to make me sick of politics for the next decade. Still like Flockhart though...been a fan of hers since the 90's and she's still able to make me like her, even when her character is super annoying.

Still love Alex Danvers and Martian Manhunter.

Overall it looks like the move may end up helping the show. Much better tone and lots of hints that the new directions for the characters are good ones. Also it feels really great to like Superman again.

Just saw S2E1...

I like this Superman a lot. Kind of hate how his cape is in the front also. Kara's suit is better. But the actor is good.

Also agree about Jimmy Olsen being weak. The actor is plenty likable...I just find myself a little bored when his character is around. I still hate that they made Jimmy Olsen cool. especially when they actually have a Jimmy Olsen type in the show, just renamed. 'Change just to be change' usually translates to 'Stupid just to be stupid'.

Kat is better, but still annoying. Also agree about the real world politics. This election is important, everyone gets it. But we definitely get to hear enough about politics right now. This year might end up being enough to make me sick of politics for the next decade. Still like Flockhart though...been a fan of hers since the 90's and she's still able to make me like her, even when her character is super annoying.

Still love Alex Danvers and Martian Manhunter.

Overall it looks like the move may end up helping the show. Much better tone and lots of hints that the new directions for the characters are good ones. Also it feels really great to like Superman again.

Yep, Alex is great, MArtian is great. Kara is excellent. Wynn is cool. everyone but jimmy really shines in this show. even WITH the lackluster stuff they are given to work with.

But that last sentence REALLY rings true. It's so great to actually ENJOY AND LIKE these characters again. you can do super heroes having fun without it being cheezy. and I hope it's a sign that we are starting to go away from this dark, depressing moody crap that, unless it's batman, doesn't work for EVERY Super hero out there.
After seeing dark brooding and serious for so long, it's not only great, but kind of odd at seeing Super heroes smile so much. especially in the 'diaper changing' scene where Mellisa is just BEAMING so much she can't contain herself in character ;o). she was like that with flash too

Yep, Alex is great, MArtian is great. Kara is excellent. Wynn is cool. everyone but jimmy really shines in this show. even WITH the lackluster stuff they are given to work with.

But that last sentence REALLY rings true. It's so great to actually ENJOY AND LIKE these characters again. you can do super heroes having fun without it being cheezy. and I hope it's a sign that we are starting to go away from this dark, depressing moody crap that, unless it's batman, doesn't work for EVERY Super hero out there.
After seeing dark brooding and serious for so long, it's not only great, but kind of odd at seeing Super heroes smile so much. especially in the 'diaper changing' scene where Mellisa is just BEAMING so much she can't contain herself in character ;o). she was like that with flash too

I loved that scene.

"I used to change his diapers."

"They didn't need to know that."

"Oh, I think they did."

"Okay."

I enjoyed the first season, didn't love it didn't not like it. I think having Superman on the show for these first episodes really opened an emotional side to Supergirl and I don't know it's like she feels more like a real fleshed out character and really made this version their own and set them apart from the comic versions.

For some reason, I think Alex would make a good match with Oliver Queen. I'm now shipping this pair. I never thought I would actively ship characters, but there you go.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back