Custom 'ruiner' Updated Cast On Page 7.

REYALS1

Well... you could say I am attempting to get my feet wet and slowly making my to the middle of the lake. Like a toitle... ever so slowly.

Seriously though...

I found some coated copper wire. I wanted to get armature wire but since this was easier to acquire without the delay I snagged me a used up spool. I believe enough for the beginning of an armature for Bio's. I am more than likely going to have questions...and am hoping this will turn out as I want it to.

I do need to know that if you are looking at the perspective of a Bio... how deep would one say the measurements are, at the back of the crown mid point to the front of the crown mid point, as goes for the jawline and visor base area (I really hope this makes sense... *crossing fingers*).

I am going to put these pics up just to see if you know what I mean...
2012-05-02 23.18.jpg

2012-05-02 23.34.15.jpg

2012-05-02 23.34.49.jpg

I won't be leaving that "base wire" on the cardboard. I am just using it to give me some sort of reference. I plan on bending it all to the form/shape that will represent a bio in 3 dimension after the wires are set in place and tied together. I then may try to duct tape the Hades out of it to make it sturdier and then cover with plastic when sculpting on it.

I am hoping that this will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys.

I will be taking my time, believe me. I am my own worst critic and a bit occd so I won't be satisfied unless I think it's worthy of display on anyones wall.

I am penciling some profile details of a design I have in mind from my collection. Excited.

A small update.

I am hoping this is going to work like I want it to. I am using a tutorial I located (I think maybe Jason made it) in the search and adding my own spin to it. I am also using pretty stiff and sturdy electrician wire so it will hopefully add a bit more support when I start laying on the clay.

I didn't realize I had the bold on. Sorry about that.

IMG_20120503_232804.jpg

this is what I got finished last night. Going to go to the store today to get some more wire.
Broken elder 2.JPG

Well...watcha all think? Is it going to work?

Thank you for the enthusiasm Jose.

Well... I tried to find some plaster the other day but couldn't find any. So I am thinking of packing on the duct tape to make it thick and sturdy enough to hold the weight of the clay. Maybe add some foil... maybe not. I will protect it though with some plastic when I start sculpting.

I am also thinking of building a building a stand with 'U' bolts and wood on top of a lazy susan so I can move it freely while sculpting. Think this will work.

I am completely new to doing this so I really appreciate all the feedback.

Looks great so far! Maybe pack some newspaper in there tight as hell. Then do another layer of tape. That way you can fill some of the voids in between the wire supports a little more. Or maybe try it underneath? Might make it a bit sturdier. Nice progress bro!

Oh yeah, I plan on adding a layer of mesh wire then going over it with some more tape.

I bought some stuff called "rubberizer" and was going to spray that over it when all is said and done.

I am uploading these from my phone so I will correct the progress pics tonight... I hope the rubberizer idea works...

WireDuct5.jpg

Just to show how I can adjust the look of it ...

SAM_0071.JPG

SAM_0074.JPG

Well, I adhered a piece of PVC tubing underneath the bio armature with some expanding foam and the results seem to be working. The PVC isn't budging but it is seeping through the seems of the tape (no big deal). I will be going over the tape with some more tape anyways and the wire I bought probably isn't going to work because I cannot get it to form the way I need it to.

The rubberizer I purchased seems like it will do the job I want it to do. I am really pondering just coating this thing with resin... will this work?

Foamed.JPG

Okay... I decided to layer it with resin so I can have it be a long lasting armature for future Bio sculpts. Thing is... I never worked with the stuff, so may I please get some pointers?

Jose (being the cool cat that he is) told me to coat, lay the cloth, and then coat again. I need to know if I should lay it like this......or should I strip the cloth and place it on the armature in strips?
Resin clothed.JPG

I am getting so excited to start the sculpting process, so I need to know this process a.s.a.p.!

Of course, any help is HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Oh... and this is my next project... uh-huh...

Plasma cannon.JPG

Id say strips and small squares man. that cloth in one big piece like that can be problematic, especially if you have a wrinkle in it and the resin hardens. small squares and strips are great. Don't over whelm yourself when your resining it. start with the dome and use the small squares and strips to get "your feet wet" so to say. after the dome is done move one to the other areas. What i do is: Brush a thin coat of resin on the armature. then start placing your cloth squares and strips on the are you brushed. that thin prelayer will help hold the cloth squares and strips in place while your dabbing them. after you have them all layed out, dip your brush in resin and start dabbing the resin in to the cloth, moving around dabbing the resin where you already have placed the cloth. the dabbing technique is similar to how you would sponge paint on a bio just use a brush.

I hope that helps. Great looking armature so far man!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back