Custom Light Saber Show Off Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Boba Debt, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I often see new members post threads asking for advice on custom sabers, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for everyone to show off their custom designs.

I hope it will inspire new builder to think outside of the box and if you post below it would be most beneficial to include a brief description of the parts and construction process.

I'll go first:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my 1st custom Light Saber, it is a Jedi design

[​IMG]

I decided to use a combination of found parts and my machining skills to make this saber. I stumbled across a gear shift knob and knew it could be made into nice saber. The end product is far from what I first envisioned.

I used aluminum for most of the body and bronze for the vented emitter sleeve. The lathe work is simple, I wanted the focus on the found details.

The grips were Gillette Sensor Razors. I cut them in half and filled them with resin. If you look at the area where the logo was held in place you will see the clear amber color of the resin. I consider these to be activation sensors. They are mounted to a machined aluminum core.

Just in front of the grips you can see a disc which is from the Visible V-8 model. If the wrong person attempts to active my saber this will ensure that it is the last thing they pick up with that hand.

The next section is the gear shift knob. The bumpy foregrip can be rotated to adjust blade strength.

The emitter is 100% machined. I did not use blueprints or a drawing I just went at it.

The emitter disc is a Lamborghini wheel, I got the idea from Yoda.

It's all held together with a threaded rod and was a pretty easy saber to make

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my 2nd Saber, it is a Sith Design.

[​IMG]

Once again I used a combination of found parts and my machining skills to make this saber, only this time I had a plan and stuck to it.

Most of the body is machined Delrin. I used a wood lather instead of a metal lathe to give it an organic feel.

Then I added various size o-rings, a Covertec knob and 2 Radio Shack Buttons to the body.

I used 1/4" diameter copper tubing for the emitter power feeds a combination of washers for the emitter.

A flared copper fitting aligns and secures them to a delrin stem.

I sold it to a fellow RPFer and I hope they still enjoy it as much as I did.

This is what I consider to be my final custom Saber. It is my favorite saber and I doubt I will ever top it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is an ancient Sith Saber and is meant to be wielded with one hand. IMO the design is very menacing and even if the owner forgot to install the batteries he could still beat his opponent to death in no time at all and it wouldn't be pretty.

I entered it in one of Luukes Annual Saber Contests and I think I placed first that year.

It was a complicated and expensive saber to build so I will explain the construction in phases.

The handle is made from a Gil Hibben "Scorpio Knife" Knuckle Guard and 5 Toothbrush Handles. Everything it mounted to a piece of weather brass hex stock.

The pointed "Tail" of the Knuckle Guard is threaded into the hex stock and it is what secures it to the back of the handle. I had to hand file the hex stock to match the curvature of the Knuckle Guard, it was very labor intensive.

I used CA glue to mount the cut down toothbrush handles, which are rubber so it has a very heavy but comfortable feel.

[​IMG]

The mid section is made from a machined brass Ribbed Section, a Gas Powered RC Differential Pulley and 2 Gas Powered RC Engine Heatsinks.
    I heavily weathered all of the parts and used a file to gently radius the back heat sink. it's all held in place with a threaded rod.

[​IMG]

The Emitter Power feeds are Aluminum Shrimp Deveiners. I had 3 grooves machined in the Brass Ribbed Section and attached the deveiners with brass screws. I removed the heads so they look like pins.

[​IMG]

The Emitter is made from a Gas Powered RC Tire Rim and a machined aluminum Housing, it threads into the rod to hold the entire saber together.

[​IMG]

Building a custom saber can be very rewarding but if you lack the skills or tools there is nothing wrong wit commissioning an artist to build one for you :)

If you have a custom design please take a few minutes to post a picture and brief description below.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Wow, those are truly awesome. I really like the use of the scale size rims for the emitters.

3. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

4. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

WOW these are really amazing custom sabers. Wish i had the skill to make these. fantastic work.
    -Goldenrod

5. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Showoff. :lol ;)

This is the only one of mine that didn't use an existing flash. The main body was made out of the good old 1 1/2" dia. sink tube. The black rods that make up part of the inset grip are guide rails from an old printer which I cut up into equal sized pieces for the grip.
    [​IMG]

To center everything in the tube I used a combination of plastic tubing and Plastruct parts. The pommel is a sink faucet I gutted, and which you can still find at Lowe's or Home Depot. I filled the bottom of it with a styrene disk and on the top I glued an ABS ring (also Plastruct). The gold and black part that attaches to the pommel was made by stacking Plastruct flat caps like this:
    [​IMG]
    The flat cap that attaches to the pommel is glued into the ring on the top. Between them I just used some rubber O-rings.
    [​IMG]
    I connected the sections of sink pipe using a similar method. Each segment of pipe has ABS rings glued in each opening. A plastic tube that has the same dia. as the inside dia. of the rings goes through keeping each sink tube segment together.
    [​IMG]
    The emitter is made up of parts I salvaged from an old (maybe early-mid 80's) VCR camcorder combo; the type that had a camera and a VCR that you slung over your shoulder and attached the camera to. I think the aluminum pieces might be the writing head or something. Below the aluminum peices is another VCR piece decked out with more O-rings and various greeblies.

Everything else is just various thumb screws and other lightsaber looking junk I had in my parts box.

6. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice looking sabers guys.

Rabittooth , I love that design :)

7. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

Im reserving this space for when i can get good pics in a couple days xD

8. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Awesome stuff guys, gotta love really top notch (and well made) custom sabers.

9. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Here are a few of mine, some made from Flashguns, some not...
    I've tried to make each one different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

All of these were made by hand around aluminum tubes in sizes that slid into eachother and then friction-fitted/glued together. None of these look too good in close-up. :lol

From the left:

1. I engraved the writing and lines around the "petals" with my dremel. The black grip is a rubber mat. The "jewels" in the emitter are green LEDs. The gold "neck" is sculpey. The prongs were just cut from the tube and bent inwards. The pommel is a piece of tube with notches cut in them using a dremel router bit lying down and then finished with a needle file. The bottom is a steel washer and sculpey with a key ring baked inside it. You press down on the "button" to release the ring. Then it looks just like the pommel of Vader's lighsaber from the bottom.

2. The clamp is a piece of tube with two aluminum bars glued on top. The "bulb release" is sculpey. The "ears" and lever were made from sheet al. and took a little bit of time to get right.
    I made grips from sculpey first (seen in picture) but then replaced them with grips from Blast-Tech.

3. The handgrip and pommel were made from stacks of washers glued together, with sculpey in-between. The emitter are a few pieces of tube and a loudspeaker at the top.

4. The body is just aluminum tubes that were cut in this way and slid into eachother. The edges were rounded off with a file. The grip is overlapping leather strips that were soaked in water and then glued on. The "control box" are thin pieces of metal wrapped onto a shape I made from sculpey.

5. Black parts and emitter shroud are plastic tube. Control box is a 9V battery. The pommel is sculpey.

11. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

awesome thread. These are some really inspiring sabers here, folks, and I am humbled.

I've made a few sabers for my little fan film, but they're primarily stunt props and very amaturishly constructed so they aren't very much to look at. :\

I'm feeling pretty inspired to start working on a little saber idea that I've been kicking around for a while . . . maybe I'll find my way to the hardware store in the next week or two to pick up some supplies. ;)

12. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

great thread indeed. Sorry I don't have anything to contribute but my comments. ;)

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome sabers guys. Once I get mine finished I'll post pics of it.

14. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Built entirely from items I had around the house.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The metal part is an old flashlight. Used it mainly because it had a built in loop from which to hang from a belt.

The black parts on either end are from a Dremel drill. The emitter is from the packaging of a toy.
    The activation buttons along the spine are various computer chips. The silver "nub" that's between them is a grease fitting...whatever the hell that is.

The black rings around the bottom are rubber o-rings. The silver rods cropping out of the upper body are old Allen/hex wrenches. The brass knob that's right next to the emitter is just something I picked up at the hardware store...in fact, a lot of the smaller parts are just odds and ends I picked up at the store. I bought random things I thought would look cool to dress it up with.

The whole thing measures about 10 and 1/2 inches long.

Got started on this one right after I finished the other one above. This one, same as last one, was made from various items found around the house and the hardware store. Some of the parts I used were even cast in black resin by our own Matsuo.

[image]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5751/saber26og.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3089/saber43tf.jpg[/image]

Standard sink tube body cut down to size, metal cap added to the end, a resin greeblie attached to that. Threaded rod inserted down the inside and cemented into place with got glue. The discs are drawer handles with holes drilled through the middle and threaded onto the rod. A nut was then placed at the end and tightened down to keep the discs in place. To hide the nut, I took another black resin greeblie, dremeled out a shallow hole, placed it over the nut and epoxied into place. This part became the emitter, so I drilled a small hole into the very end. Various LED's and knobs were added for controls. The grip is part of a hair brush. I cut the handle off and removed the bristles. This left me with a shiney, perforated cylinder. I then gave it a few coats of black plasti-dip spray. On the inside, between the cylinder and the saber body, I inserted a flat piece of craft foam on both ends. That's all that holds the grip in place. For the cover tech knob I used part of a cell phone attachment made by 3M. I made a few changes since these photos were taken, most notably, adding another disc to the end of the emitter. I had to do this after one to many people mentioned it looked like a vibrator. But don't most of the sabers look like vibrators?.

15. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

True, but you have to admit that thing is pretty phallic. ;) I love the stacked disks on the emitter end, though.

16. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Yeah, I noticed it before anyone said a word, I just kept quiet and hoped I was the only one who would notice.

Hopefully the recent changes I did to it will fix that.

17. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

SWEET... Really nice design. Don't run in the halls with that saber...

FB

18. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Here is a padawan saber I made for my son. It used a vintage "mini-cam" flash handle, a found part emitter, a bit of metal laminate for the activation matrix, and some wire detail pieces. The crystal is quartz, and sits atop a part from a faucet supply line connector, and a aluminum disk (like the one that comes with a box of snaps).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. p0sitr0nic

Well, since I cant see the place to edit my earlier post, ill post two of mine here.

[​IMG]

THis has a new emitter on it, but the rest is the same. THis is my Son's Saber.

This one was made by a non member friend, and its too big to show as an image.

The Rose Saber

I still dont have pics of my personal one...

20. vader1974

vader1974 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here are a couple of my custom sabers. I use Aluminum, Stainless, Brass, Wood or anything I can put in a lathe or mill.

Group of Customs Counter Clockwise from top (Attempt at ATOC Anakin, mix of Luke ROTJ and ANH, Wood Grip, DFW Prop Party Saber, PT Jedi Saber)[attachmentid=6463]

Custom for Nephew
    [attachmentid=6462]

Set of Dueling Sabers for Nephews
    [attachmentid=6461]

Custom for RPF Member (His design)
    [attachmentid=6464]

Dueling sabers for my boys
    [attachmentid=6465]

Thanks for looking
    Brian

21. DarthCalibar

DarthCalibar Well-Known Member

Awesome designs. Keep up the good work :D

22. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

This is the first saber I made. Other than the Blast-tech grips, everything else I made, including the red EL blade.

[​IMG]

This one is my third saber. This one has an LED blade.

[​IMG]

Long (16") and heavy, this bad boy will poke your eye out from either end. I am still debating whether or not to anodize any of the pieces but I am thinking red and black might be cool with the carbon fiber and stainless steel shroud. It used to have a magenta blade (which many people called pink), that is why it now has the green blade.

[​IMG]

I think some of you might be familiar with my latest saber:
    [​IMG]
    More info can be found in this thread: Primrodo's ROTS Anakin saber

I have a whole stack of ideas for my next sabers, now all I need is the time to build them.

23. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

This is the first and only saber I've made so far.
    Its body made of all plumping parts except the inner emitter which is an electrical conduit connector which screws quite nicely into a garden hose coupler. The conduit connector is surrounded by a sink drain basket. The control box is just bent aluminum. The bottom picture is from before I finished the emitter. It's primitive but I like it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Sporak

Now that to me is the perfect Sith saber...WOW.
    Do you have a shot showing the side of the emitter?

25. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do.

[​IMG]

How about the pommel end?

[​IMG]

26. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Made this from the usual sink tubes many years back. Activator 'Ring' instead of box.

[image]http://www.winternet.com/~faethor/myprops/mysaber.jpg[/image]

Jay

27. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

I really dig this one:

[​IMG]

Great job on that ..

-Rabittooth

28. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

Here's my old custom saber that was machined by our very own Rodann.

[​IMG]

I sold it off when I stopped collecting sabers, but last year I decided I really did miss it. So, I had Ry over at randomsabers.com help me to have it remade. It's actually almost done. Here's a progress shot.

[​IMG]

29. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

This really is a great thread and I'd hate to see it disappear so soon, so I thought I'd go ahead and post my early experiments in saber-craft to justify a bump. Like I said before, these were made as stunt props for my fanfilm, so I intentionally left them fairly plain. Some day I might revisit them and add some greeblies and details, but odds are pretty good that I'll just write these off as "learning experiences" and make future sabers more interesting.

WARNING: ugly n00b-sabers ahoy..

Sorry for the crummy pics, but when I took these all that I had was my cheapy camera-phone. :/

A single-handed saber, measuring in at about 8":
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Standard sink-tube body with the flared end as the emitter and a shower head pommel. I cut out the details with my dremel and inserted a piece of that ribbed tubing that they use to cover wads of computer cables. The knob is from a cheap cell phone case, but I've since removed that and replaced it with a little D-ring made for hanging pictures.

A double-saber measuring about 22":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also has a sink-tube base, but since the polished brass tubes are so expensive and hard to find in this length I sanded all of the chrome from a silver one (the hand cramping was intense, but worth it in the end). The grip sections were cut from PVC and coated in plasti-dip (although I now wish that I'd used regular paint, because it's peeling a bit at the edges). The D-ring is for hanging pictures and I added that little brass disk so that the silver D-ring wouldn't be so obvious.

I painted all of the pop rivets black before I put them on, which sort of worked, but not very well. Between the paint peeling from rivets, the plasti-dip peeling from the grip and the chrome tarnishing the whole saber has a splendid, weathered look to it that really works with the character that it was designed for, so even though it's really not much like what I'd originally wanted, I've gotten quite fond of it (which is good, because I'll be the one fighting with it in the film ;)).

The design is asymmetrical because I wanted to experiment with a kind of "long form" style that uses an extra long saber with a 4+ foot long blade in a thrusting, spear-like style (sort of like what's happening in my avatar - that's a 6' quarterstaff I'm holding there). The second blade is a hold-out for evening the odds against multiple opponents.

Both sabers are assembled primarily with pop-rivets and have a center tube that holds a female threaded pipe fitting in place. I fitted some male threaded fittings to 3/4" oak dowels, so they can be screwed in for fighting.

I've made two others, but I don't have any pics yet. Maybe I'll get a chance to snap a few this weekend and share them on Monday.

EDITED to add a pic of the D-ring and fix some crappy spelling.

30. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Acerocket - that 2nd one of yours (with the lightish red blade) looks like a jet engine. Very cool.

31. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A few customs. Unfortuantally insparation doesn't come as often As i would like on these. I am still in search of the "Darth Magpie" Saber design.

The top right saber i made before I even knew the sabers were Flash guns. My version of Luke's based on my abilities. I think it was 1995.

Second down is made mostly from parts that make up the products we sell at work. I welded most of them together.

Third down is a completely machined version based on prequal council sabers. I made this for a guy at works kid. I liked it so much I made the same one for me.

4th down is(from emitter to pomel): A shower head, machined aluminum with o-rings, chrome sink tubing, key from a flute, and the bommom of an air cylinder.

32. tommin

tommin Sr Member

An assortment of dollar tree items...

[​IMG]

...fallen in to place...

[​IMG]

I think this was the majority of the production cost...

[​IMG]

33. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Lighting, that hardware saber looks great. A very "old republic" look to it.

34. Sporak

Ahhh, Very nice...
    Yeah, that's a mean saber.

35. DarthCalibar

DarthCalibar Well-Known Member

:love :love tutorial?

that is definitly on my list of favorite custom sabers

awesome job

36. jp529

jp529 New Member

man the anchient sith saber is cool. :thumbsup i like the creativity involved in it and its wicked look.i do not build but upon seeing this i am tempted...

37. p0sitr0nic

And finally, my hero custom at a stage of about 90% finished (its been updated since this picture, and ive made resin stunts of it... so its done)

CLICK ME TO SEE

38. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Digging up an old thread, I know, but there is some fantastic work here! This is what I'm into and I'm sad there isn't more of this creativity on here lately. The Screen Flex funnel or whatever is on the saber above would make a great stack of rings for a forward grip on a Shared Stunt..

Has anyone built anything recently?

Here is something of mine, My dad and I made a long time ago, supposed to be an Obi Wan Episode 1 with help from the big yellow box, I like it, and it's pretty solid, been thrown around and hasn't even dented. It's 1.5 inches around and I'd be happy to offer up any details (no WIP pics)

39. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi New Member

wow...these are great! the talent on this site just doesn't dissapoint.

40. thd9791

couldn't agree more!:thumbsup

41. neojun77

neojun77 New Member

awesome work guys~

42. DarthGM

DarthGM Member

Seriously, that's phenominal work!

Well done!

43. jimjimmyjones85

jimjimmyjones85 Active Member

Amazing pieces. I would love to hae some in my collection or just my desk !

44. Macjedi

Macjedi New Member

Wow this is a great thread...a lot of nice interpretation!

45. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is my one and only static custom saber. For me, I don't think it could be any better and I don't think I could make anything that I am so equally pleased with again. I think I will be buried with this in my hand.

I had the body/chassis for about 5-6 years, salvaged from a broken gardening tool, and never knew what I wanted to add to it. On whim one day, I just decided to rummage through the junk I'd saved laying around for potential greeblies. Found some things, played with the arrangement of those things (mostly plumbing and gardening parts), glued them together, and about 2.5 hours later; I couldn't believe my eyes.
    [​IMG]

:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:

I still have a hard time believing what I just cobbled together in a couple of hours. Made out of real world parts makes it only so much more authentic feeling, I think. I'm thinking about shortening the button a bit but overall, it came out better than I can ever have hoped for.

Consciously, I wanted it to look like Palpatine's lightsaber
    Subconsciously, I added bits of Obi-wan (windvane-esque piece and lower grip, and now that I'm looking at it again, maybe some Qui-Gon) and kept the color scheme of Vader's saber.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  46. thd9791

That does look great, and infact does also remind me of palpatines's, only grungier:lol

47. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's what I'm all about, bay-be!:cool

48. ChubbyGawd

ChubbyGawd New Member

Well this thread doesn't seem to have much action going on in quite some time, so I might as well throw in my portion. Here is my custom saber, only in the 3D stage, have to 3D print it, mold it, cast it, electroplate it, etc. It's my first original Model, I hope you all like it. Here's a video link to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le8CW6H5Auo Emitter.png EmitterHead.png TopDown.png Upclose.png Upclose2.jpg

49. Daegurth

Daegurth New Member

That would be because the actual thread was taking a nap down on page 5, here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232669&page=67 :D