Crispin Glover explains falling out on 'Back To The Future'

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

jcoffman99 likes this.
  2. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

It's funny, when I watched BTTF all those years ago (and subsequent repeat viewings) I never considered that angle that over the top financial success equates a "happy ending."

I kind of agree with Glover now that I think about. I think the idea of George and Loraine simply being "more in love" (compared to their relationship before Marty goes back) and perhaps a "little" better off would be just as "happy" an ending.

However it "was" a comedy so to speak (Biff does end up as George's "servant" at the end), so I guess the financial success was overplayed on purpose maybe?

One thing I do take from Glover- I used to think he was batcrap crazy (after his Letterman interview/stunt gone wrong). However I think he is actually a genius that doesn't fit into the mould that Hollywood wants, and they hate him for it.

Kevin

3. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I hear Tom Wilson never talks to him.

4. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I think it's a little bit of both. He used to come into Golden Apple all the time - he sold his book "The Joys of Rat Catching" there.

Zemeckis and Gale both comment on the message at the end of the movie on the blu ray discs. They point out that it being the 80's, financial success was really the only kind of success there was. Every 80's movie out there deals with the rich kids vs the poor kids - Marty's adventure changed him from Ducky to Blaine.

5. Pitbull

Pitbull Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Listen to this podcast of Tom Wilson "BIFF" He touches on rehearsing with Crispin and speaks about erick stoltz and also the fans of Back to the future.Really cool listen.

When clicking link just hit play at the bottom :cool

Just fast forward to 26 minutes in

Nerdist Podcast #125: TOM WILSON « Nerdist

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

His original objection was sound, but Lorraine and George are quite plainly in love in the reshot end scene. It wasn't just that they were wealthy, they were playful and enjoying their lives together. So I think everybody got what they wanted, it's just Glover wanted only himself to get what he wanted.

I think his interpretations of the rest of the events are rather paranoid. Unless the earlier draft had a LOT more of George than the final film did, it was appropriate to offer him less than the others. That was what, one day's work? Two? The others are in every other scene.

7. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What is the element that was removed that he won't be specific about?

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Telling the writers and producers how you feel is ok only if you know how to do it.

9. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

They didn't seem that rich to me in the ending, they were better off but they had the same house which was in a working class neighborhood.

10. Jet Beetle

George's part in BTTF P 2 was much bigger before Glover dropped out. I don't know if this is true or not but someone told me years ago that George was supposed to find out that Marty tampered with the past - this lead to him feeling Lorraine wasn't truly in love with him - Marty forced them together. This lead to George stealing the time machine and going back to 1955 and messing things up. As I said - I was told this by someone who worked for Image Movers for a summer - not sure how reliable the info is.

11. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

That would have been an interesting take on the film. On a side note in the BTTF game it seems like George knows about Marty time traveling because he never asks why there is a modified Delorean sitting outside Doc's or anything. I know Bob Gale was a consultant so I wonder if they worked part of the unused script into the game story.

12. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

Ive read the original draft for part 2. The one where they go back to the 1960s instead of back to the 50s. George is barely in it at all. He is on a buisness trip and shows up at the end to give a speech. It wasn't a very good script.

As for the ending of the movie. I never really took it as "Marty has money now, so everything is great". I just saw it as George's new found confidance making him more successful in buisness, and therfore thier house is decorated better and he pushes his kids to achieve more. Sure Marty suddenly having a truck might take it a beat too far, but overall the concept goes beyond the shallow.

According to the commentary, the reason people were so mad at Crispin was because he had wierd ideas for the character and got angry when the director shot them down. For example, in the ending scene that Crispin talks about, he felt the character should have been a muscled up gym rat in a pink tank top. You can even see him in one take still looking upset from the arguement.

13. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I always saw it as the rewards of believing in yourself. George found confidence and that is what led him to higher prosperity. Financial status is not the root of all evil and is a visible way to show the transformation in George's character.

14. Jet Beetle

They mention that script in the Blu Rays as well - but I thought Bob said it only went as far as an outline - not a completed script. I could be wrong.

You have to remember scripts can sometimes go into 10 to 20 to 30 drafts before they are greened - and even then they are changed. George's character taking the Delorean (if true) could have been changed to Biff and you're still talking about the same script - just a different draft.

15. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

I did as well. From Georges confidence to Marty's fear of looking afraid in the eyes of others, it is about learning what is holding you back in life, not about money:thumbsup

Anyone here who is suffering from the financial success that is such a bad goal these days with class envy at it's peak, feel free to send me your money, I will be happy to sacrifice myself so you can stay pure.:rolleyes

16. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is a good point, though I can still see where Glover is coming from. Seeing him live, I got to hear the long version of the story and it sounds like, overall, his reaction to the story was a reaction to his treatment on set.

I think the most valid part of his argument is that he is consistent. Though he works on bit parts for hollywood movies, he turns that money into funding for his own films. His films follow the the idea of breaking from hollywood norms of theme and censorship.

He was very nice in person as well. They had a one on one meet and greet at the end where he signed books, took pictures, and chatted with us.

Here he is, half way into talking about future plans and answering a question I asked him.

[​IMG]

17. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He certainly is consistent, have to respect him for that. :thumbsup

18. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Wow, so Glover objected to the end because it had an element of financial prosperity having been a factor in the rewritten timeline. And when asked for a return to the films, he was mad they only offered him $150,000 for the film.

Talk about mixed signals.

19. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

cool article... thanks for posting! i wish he would have gone into more detail on the stoltz/fox ending changes.

glover is definitely an interesting dude. i've been meaning to watch rubin and ed for ages. has anyone here seen his "clowny clown clown" video? wow...

it was one of my "script grails" for a while--* near impossible to find. one of the guys from bttf.com scored a copy from gale and posted it a few years ago. interesting read!

http://www.bttf.com/scripts/Number_Two.pdf

20. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

That's how I take Glover these days: "interesting." And that he goes very much against the grain of Hollywood and has been shunned for it. I've watched "Clowny Clown Clown" and it is most certainly "out there." Definitely not for everyone.

Kevin

21. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

So he didn't care for the 'money is a reward' angle of the ending.

Yet $$$ was his issue about his return.

Anyone else see the irony in that?

He's a wack job. The End.

22. Jet Beetle

WOW - Glover still looks the same. I loved him in Ed and Rubin and his portrayal of Warhol in The Doors.

23. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

It's not irony, it's hypocrisy. And never occurred to me before you posted it. :lol

24. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interesting to hear his side of the story, but it's just that.
    Accusing Gale of consciously constructing the ending to reflect thematic values that would be beneficial to the studio sounds a bit like propaganda-level paranoia, but I wasn't there.

25. benhs1898

He also did not like the work environment which was part of the issue of compensation.

26. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's also weird and creepy that they'd want Biff to hang around as a grovelling manservant. THE GUY WHO TRIED TO RAPE YOUR WIFE! It's quite the a strange dickish maneuver and not quite what I'd call a personality improvement.

Nick

27. 11051955

11051955 Member

What was referred to was probably what is in the third draft. Where Biff works for George only and does all the work for George. Biff has to write reports for George, Biff has to clean the cars. Then the McFlys also had a maid and were going to be moving into a new house with a tennis court and I think maybe a pool. On top of that a maid came in and served food... All the while Marty still gets the car of his dreams which at that point was Camaro Z-28 (product placement most likely affected that). It was a bit over the top, and I could see the point that it was too much.

The first draft that is officially the first draft has an editing where George ended up being something like a prize winning fighter, and George looks at an old yearbook and look at Marty on stage and says, "nah can't be.." So that might be where the idea of George knowing about Marty might come from.

28. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like to see Crispen try and argue a creative decision with my director. Shed tear him apart.
    Actors really have no business arguing with their Directors over creative decisions.
    Actors come into a job bringing thier own flavor to the mix, but ultimately must do as directed.
    if Crispen got canned, it's his own fault.

29. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

Interesting. It'll always be a case of he said they said, I guess. I'm sure there was more to it than him innocently asking questions about the morality of the scene if they were flipping out about it.

That said, it's interesting because when I watched this as a kid, I didn't care about the truck at all. It was fine, but never made an impression. But that scene has since become the example of the "Me Decade" mentality in the 80's, and it gets brought up again and again just the way he's describing in that interview.

30. benhs1898

Unfortunately, this is not how it works with the "star" system. Some names are so bankable that they command huge amounts of control. For instance, Lincoln just rolled through town here (I didn't get a job on it:cry) but some of my friends who did said that Daniel Day-Lewis pretty much ran the show. Actually, this is an example of the sacrifice you make in hiring a method actor. Still, it's part of the star system.

31. nickytea

Yeah, how dare he call a director on his bull****.
    I'm not totally buying Crispin's side of the story, but his concern was a legitimate interpretive view. Film is a collaborative medium. I can't imagine that was the main or only reason he got shafted, but if it was, then that reflects poorly on them.

32. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed - I've only done stage work so I don't know what the world is like on a film set, or even being a "star" on a film set, but unless you are a "star" with some pull - I don't think it is prudent for a young actor to push the buttons of a Director.

33. benhs1898

True, Crispin Glover was pretty much unknown then.

Whatever the story was, it sounds like there was a lot going on. Who was at fault is probably lost forever but something was clearly off.

34. nickytea

I can't say anything about that specific situation on BTTF, and either way I'm sure saying something that criticizes a creative decision by Zemekis isn't exactly career prolonging.

And it's difficult to compare a theatre and film director, as their function isn't the same, nor are their mediums. Adherence to the text is imperative to the theatrical process, as performances vary the play itself is the fixed form.

Whereas, with film, the text is only a blueprint or first step toward its ultimate fixed form: the finished movie itself.

35. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for clarifying that Tom, it indeed would have been little too much. I am glad they changed it.

36. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

You don't expect to get paid fairly in your profession?

37. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

His argument was that the end of the movie would have suggested that happiness can come from being financially well off. That it's more about intangibles of family, fullfillment and happiness with your life.

Then he complained he didn't think he was getting paid enough for the movie, a movie that was bringing joy and entertainment into millions of people's lives. Like somehow the tangible rewards of lots of money was more important than the intangibles of bringing happiness to people. So what's good for the masses isn't good enough for him. A man who makes $150,000 for just a few months of work is being paid fairly well for something many people would do for significantly less. Much more than people who work much harder and much longer achieve.

So no, he's a lunatic hypocritical ****tard. :lol

38. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

That right there is half of Hollywood in a nutshell.

39. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

It's all relative...

40. benhs1898

Harsh words man. Let's not flame people we don't know.

41. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Did you see the David Letterman appearance? The guy came off as a total lunatic and David Letterman actually had to walk off the stage out of fear of what Crispin was going to do. Don't want to be thought of as a lunatic ****tard, don't act like a lunatic ****tard.

42. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Really? Because according to Crispin financial success is unimportant. Unless it's affecting his paycheck.

43. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

That was a publicity stunt gone wrong. He was doing the interview acting in character for an upcoming movie he was making called Rubin and Ed.

Trent Harris Rubin & Ed trailer - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYjdKbMT_c&feature=related -Letterman interview with Glover

What "I" believe happened was Glover was going to come out and pull an Andy Kaufman in which he would act "crazy" (just like the character he played... right down to the clothes and massive shoes)- and no one would know if he was being serious or not.

I believe Letterman wasn't in on the joke at all, and completely took it the wrong way.

To this day Glover will not explain what happened or even admit to being on the Letterman show that night. His answer is that the "incident" is still being talked about over 20+ years later and that explaining what happened detracts from the mystery of the event.

Kevin

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  44. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Emphasis mine. He looked like an idiot and a lunatic, and by trying to make it seem 'mysterious' instead of just saying, 'yeah, I wanted to do an homage to the Andy Kaufman style of comedy but it backfired, sorry if I made you uncomfortable' he just makes it worse.

45. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I changed my mind... it's not worth it.

Kevin

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  46. benhs1898

What's your deal man?

Plus, Letterman is an arrogant jerk. He got scared because he's a wimp. His interviews are painful to watch.

47. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Hey man, don't flame on people you don't know!!!!! :darnkids

48. benhs1898

Nice. Now can we move on?

49. SeanB13

SeanB13 Active Member

This particular comment is so loaded with FAIL, it should be framed and hung on a wall for posterity! :facepalm :lol

benhs1898 likes this.
  50. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

If you say so newbie. :)