Crispin Glover explains falling out on 'Back To The Future'

It's funny, when I watched BTTF all those years ago (and subsequent repeat viewings) I never considered that angle that over the top financial success equates a "happy ending."

I kind of agree with Glover now that I think about. I think the idea of George and Loraine simply being "more in love" (compared to their relationship before Marty goes back) and perhaps a "little" better off would be just as "happy" an ending.

However it "was" a comedy so to speak (Biff does end up as George's "servant" at the end), so I guess the financial success was overplayed on purpose maybe?

One thing I do take from Glover- I used to think he was batcrap crazy (after his Letterman interview/stunt gone wrong). However I think he is actually a genius that doesn't fit into the mould that Hollywood wants, and they hate him for it.

Kevin

One thing I do take from Glover- I used to think he was batcrap crazy (after his Letterman interview/stunt gone wrong). However I think he is actually a genius that doesn't fit into the mould that Hollywood wants, and they hate him for it.

Kevin

I think it's a little bit of both. He used to come into Golden Apple all the time - he sold his book "The Joys of Rat Catching" there.

Zemeckis and Gale both comment on the message at the end of the movie on the blu ray discs. They point out that it being the 80's, financial success was really the only kind of success there was. Every 80's movie out there deals with the rich kids vs the poor kids - Marty's adventure changed him from Ducky to Blaine.

Listen to this podcast of Tom Wilson "BIFF" He touches on rehearsing with Crispin and speaks about erick stoltz and also the fans of Back to the future.Really cool listen.

When clicking link just hit play at the bottom :cool

Just fast forward to 26 minutes in

Nerdist Podcast #125: TOM WILSON « Nerdist

Last edited:
His original objection was sound, but Lorraine and George are quite plainly in love in the reshot end scene. It wasn't just that they were wealthy, they were playful and enjoying their lives together. So I think everybody got what they wanted, it's just Glover wanted only himself to get what he wanted.

I think his interpretations of the rest of the events are rather paranoid. Unless the earlier draft had a LOT more of George than the final film did, it was appropriate to offer him less than the others. That was what, one day's work? Two? The others are in every other scene.

They didn't seem that rich to me in the ending, they were better off but they had the same house which was in a working class neighborhood.

I think his interpretations of the rest of the events are rather paranoid. Unless the earlier draft had a LOT more of George than the final film did, it was appropriate to offer him less than the others. That was what, one day's work? Two? The others are in every other scene.

George's part in BTTF P 2 was much bigger before Glover dropped out. I don't know if this is true or not but someone told me years ago that George was supposed to find out that Marty tampered with the past - this lead to him feeling Lorraine wasn't truly in love with him - Marty forced them together. This lead to George stealing the time machine and going back to 1955 and messing things up. As I said - I was told this by someone who worked for Image Movers for a summer - not sure how reliable the info is.

George's part in BTTF P 2 was much bigger before Glover dropped out. I don't know if this is true or not but someone told me years ago that George was supposed to find out that Marty tampered with the past - this lead to him feeling Lorraine wasn't truly in love with him - Marty forced them together. This lead to George stealing the time machine and going back to 1955 and messing things up. As I said - I was told this by someone who worked for Image Movers for a summer - not sure how reliable the info is.

That would have been an interesting take on the film. On a side note in the BTTF game it seems like George knows about Marty time traveling because he never asks why there is a modified Delorean sitting outside Doc's or anything. I know Bob Gale was a consultant so I wonder if they worked part of the unused script into the game story.

Ive read the original draft for part 2. The one where they go back to the 1960s instead of back to the 50s. George is barely in it at all. He is on a buisness trip and shows up at the end to give a speech. It wasn't a very good script.

As for the ending of the movie. I never really took it as "Marty has money now, so everything is great". I just saw it as George's new found confidance making him more successful in buisness, and therfore thier house is decorated better and he pushes his kids to achieve more. Sure Marty suddenly having a truck might take it a beat too far, but overall the concept goes beyond the shallow.

According to the commentary, the reason people were so mad at Crispin was because he had wierd ideas for the character and got angry when the director shot them down. For example, in the ending scene that Crispin talks about, he felt the character should have been a muscled up gym rat in a pink tank top. You can even see him in one take still looking upset from the arguement.

I always saw it as the rewards of believing in yourself. George found confidence and that is what led him to higher prosperity. Financial status is not the root of all evil and is a visible way to show the transformation in George's character.

Ive read the original draft for part 2. The one where they go back to the 1960s instead of back to the 50s. George is barely in it at all. He is on a buisness trip and shows up at the end to give a speech. It wasn't a very good script.

They mention that script in the Blu Rays as well - but I thought Bob said it only went as far as an outline - not a completed script. I could be wrong.

You have to remember scripts can sometimes go into 10 to 20 to 30 drafts before they are greened - and even then they are changed. George's character taking the Delorean (if true) could have been changed to Biff and you're still talking about the same script - just a different draft.

I always saw it as the rewards of believing in yourself. George found confidence and that is what led him to higher prosperity. Financial status is not the root of all evil and is a visible way to show the transformation in George's character.

I did as well. From Georges confidence to Marty's fear of looking afraid in the eyes of others, it is about learning what is holding you back in life, not about money:thumbsup

Anyone here who is suffering from the financial success that is such a bad goal these days with class envy at it's peak, feel free to send me your money, I will be happy to sacrifice myself so you can stay pure.:rolleyes

That is a good point, though I can still see where Glover is coming from. Seeing him live, I got to hear the long version of the story and it sounds like, overall, his reaction to the story was a reaction to his treatment on set.

I think the most valid part of his argument is that he is consistent. Though he works on bit parts for hollywood movies, he turns that money into funding for his own films. His films follow the the idea of breaking from hollywood norms of theme and censorship.

He was very nice in person as well. They had a one on one meet and greet at the end where he signed books, took pictures, and chatted with us.

Here he is, half way into talking about future plans and answering a question I asked him.

16298110150349515440157.jpg

Wow, so Glover objected to the end because it had an element of financial prosperity having been a factor in the rewritten timeline. And when asked for a return to the films, he was mad they only offered him $150,000 for the film.

Talk about mixed signals.

cool article... thanks for posting! i wish he would have gone into more detail on the stoltz/fox ending changes.

glover is definitely an interesting dude. i've been meaning to watch rubin and ed for ages. has anyone here seen his "clowny clown clown" video? wow...

They mention that script in the Blu Rays as well - but I thought Bob said it only went as far as an outline - not a completed script. I could be wrong.
it was one of my "script grails" for a while--damn near impossible to find. one of the guys from bttf.com scored a copy from gale and posted it a few years ago. interesting read!

http://www.bttf.com/scripts/Number_Two.pdf

glover is definitely an interesting dude. i've been meaning to watch rubin and ed for ages. has anyone here seen his "clowny clown clown" video? wow...

That's how I take Glover these days: "interesting." And that he goes very much against the grain of Hollywood and has been shunned for it. I've watched "Clowny Clown Clown" and it is most certainly "out there." Definitely not for everyone.

Kevin

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back