Back to the Future part III question…

I got a better question
How was she his wife on the tombstone when they just met three days before he was killed?
I can think of a reason why Marty would remember. Clara even though she didn't die
He was outside of time when doc went back so just like Doc himself was unaffected by changes to the timeline neither was Marty
When he returned to 1985 she would no longer have died but he would still remember her and wouldn't even realize that the name of the cavern has been changed
And the simple answer would be that doc was in that position to save her without Marty being there
In fact, Doc could have been in a position to delay her and have the incident. Just never happen at all
He could have met her on the road
But it doesn't answer my question
How the hell was she his wife when they met three days before he died

I got a better question
How was she his wife on the tombstone when they just met three days before he was killed?
I can think of a reason why Marty would remember. Clara even though she didn't die
He was outside of time when doc went back so just like Doc himself was unaffected by changes to the timeline neither was Marty
When he returned to 1985 she would no longer have died but he would still remember her and wouldn't even realize that the name of the cavern has been changed
And the simple answer would be that doc was in that position to save her without Marty being there
In fact, Doc could have been in a position to delay her and have the incident. Just never happen at all
Another question I would have had is why is Doc Brown's logic so flawed
He acts as if leaving her behind is the right thing to do
Considering they know that she was supposed to have died, the only choice of action that you have is to take her into the future
Heard some people say that she responded badly but all he has to do is actually show her the time machine
That's not that hard
He doesn't even have to tell her what he's going to show her. He just has to say I have a surprise for you and something you need to see
And then explain to her that she was supposed to die in that ravine. So her staying here would have devastating effects on the timeline when they came home
Every single thing that she did in her life would change the future and it would be compounded horribly if she had children
The only choice that a scientist would have at that point would be to take her with you
If she refused to go you would have to kill her. It's that bad and the movie acts as if leaving her behind was an option at any point
It never was and they would have come back to a completely changed 1985 had they left her there

Clara living on in the 1880s and having a family with some other 1880s guy? That effects of that would only be "horrible" in the same way that George McFly punching out Biff had horrible effects.

Timeline changes get stupendously complicated. And it probably gets harder to judge the morality of it as you look farther out from the change. For all we know, the dystopian 1985 might have produced some great outcome that improved the whole country 2 generations later.

Marty and Doc, Zemeckis and Gale . . . they kept the moral debates simple by not poking too far or broad with the questions. The movies stuck to how things immediately affected Doc & Marty.

I got a better question

Never even thought of this!!

There was no mention of her being his Beloved Wife. The tombstone reads, "Erected in Eternal Memory by his Beloved Clara." So, clearly she had love at first sight for him just as much as he had for her. In no way is that inscription an indication of a marriage.
Aaahh

as already noted above, nothing says she is his wife, it just says "Beloved Clara".

Another question I would have had is why is Doc Brown's logic so flawed
He acts as if leaving her behind is the right thing to do
Considering they know that she was supposed to have died, the only choice of action that you have is to take her into the future
Heard some people say that she responded badly but all he has to do is actually show her the time machine
That's not that hard
He doesn't even have to tell her what he's going to show her. He just has to say I have a surprise for you and something you need to see
And then explain to her that she was supposed to die in that ravine. So her staying here would have devastating effects on the timeline when they came home
Every single thing that she did in her life would change the future and it would be compounded horribly if she had children
The only choice that a scientist would have at that point would be to take her with you
If she refused to go you would have to kill her. It's that bad and the movie acts as if leaving her behind was an option at any point
It never was and they would have come back to a completely changed 1985 had they left her there

I talked about this already, earlier in the thread. He's emotionally compromised, and hasn't figured out all the timelines. It's unrealistic for him to be thinking straight. So he rejects Marty's correct suggestion about taking her along, because it looks like the easy selfish solution. They just spent an entire movie fixing Biff's easy selfish solution to his life. So it makes sense that Doc would think the noble self sacrifice would be the right move. After the events of the BTTF3 I'm sure Doc eventually figured out the three timelines they went through. That's when he realized that they had to remove both of them from the timeline, especially if they were to have kids. I imagine this scene as a bolt upright in bed "Great Scott!" And then he immediately started work on the Time Train.

Clara living on in the 1880s and having a family with some other 1880s guy? That effects of that would only be "horrible" in the same way that George McFly punching out Biff had horrible effects.

Timeline changes get stupendously complicated. And it probably gets harder to judge the morality of it as you look farther out from the change. For all we know, the dystopian 1985 might have produced some great outcome that improved the whole country 2 generations later.

Marty and Doc, Zemeckis and Gale . . . they kept the moral debates simple by not poking too far or broad with the questions. The movies stuck to how things immediately affected Doc & Marty.
Well, unless you think you have the right to play God then you should probably try to change the timeline as little as possible full stop.
What right Would you have to mess with everybody's lives and possibly cause people to not even be born?
That's why I stick to the only idea that the doc should have had after realizing that she was supposed to die was to take her to the future because she is now out of time and would change things
Better those changes ended up being for the greater good or not is kind of irrelevant because you can't tell and you're messing with other people's lives which you would have in my opinion absolutely bsolutely no right to do

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back