Cosmetic Cleanup Help?

blf

OK, I have been building a kid's size Cyberman costume for a few weeks now.

I was wondering if any of you out there have any good tips on filling in foam gaps at seems and how to get rid of ugly glue blobs?

What kind of glue? If it's hot glue, ugh. Try heating it and removing as much as you can without spreading it all over the place. If it's contact adhesive, you'll have to experiment with a solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner. And as for gaps...well, you could do a test on some by masking cleanly with tape on both sides of the gap/seam and try some silver or gray silicone caulking. The cybermen are silver, right? Just a thought anyway.

I use hot glue, so I normally either reheat/smooth the globs with the hot end of the glue gun OR I cut the globs down with cuticle scissors.

As far as filling in gaps... I use latex caulk. But then when I get it close I use Plasti-Dip (which fills in many of the small gaps perfectly). It also gives you a solid and even base coat (sort of a primer) for your final coat of paint.

As you play around with your pieces, if you find something better please let me know -- I always love finding an easier way to do stuff! :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back