Conversion parts Question

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm about to by a Denix Le Mat for a Jayne Cobb scratch build conversion. Maybe not from the place that supplied this pic, but I need to decide if I want black or antique silver. Here's a web site that has a pic of both color pistols: http://www.iloveswords.com/CW_1070.html

I'm thinking the black one... I wonder if the black coloring is just a coating? I can buff it off in places maybe to better match the pistol in the display pic? Or perhaps the "antique silver" pistol would be better? Buffed up all'round with a little blackening for those darker parts?
bestboomerpic2.jpg

Whaddya' all think?

In the long run, it probably won't matter which one you get. My experience with Denix replicas are that they have sloppy paintwork with paint that flakes off (no primer) and a lot of pitting in the metal. You will probably have to strip it and wet sand it smoother. It's not hard, the paint practically falls off and they are cast in aluminum or pot metal so the imperfections sand out easily.

Originally posted by Malbona@Mar 17 2006, 09:17 AM
You will probably have to strip it and wet sand it smoother. It's not hard, the paint practically falls off and they are cast in aluminum or pot metal so the imperfections sand out easily.
[snapback]1207652[/snapback]​

That has been my experience with Denix replicas as well. Don't worry about the finish, because you are going to strip it down to bare metal for surface prep anyway.

Good luck with the Jayne Le Matt conversion. Once I finish off these Han Solo blasters that will probably be my next project to tackle.

Can I throw another Denix Le Mat question in? I think I've figured out where I'm gonna' start with most of the aluminum parts, but I am a little unsure of one particular part. It's the curved wedge piece just in front of the trigger that butts up against the underside of the smaller cylinder of the under barrel. Here's that shot of it taken apart in the show. You can see the piece is attached to a hinged locking lever on Jayne's hero version.
Jayne2.jpg

But the Denix does not look to be built like that. There appears to be no locking lever at all and instead, there is a knob of sorts right in that spot.
lemat-pistol-replicared.jpg

I am guessing that this knob on the Denix Le Mat is cast as part of the barrel section. I'm thinking that I'll grind it off, tap a threaded hole where it was and make the wedge piece kind of like this (though it's not in my rough drawing, the screw would be counter sunk):
underbarrelsupport.jpg

Whaddya all think about them apples? They got grenades in'em, or is it a shiny-like plan?

The knob is a cast on part and saws off real easy. The Denix is an Army and the Firefly version is a cavalry - that's where the differences come from.

I'm gonna make that piece out of either sheet ally or a solid block and then attach a lever piece to it. Then i'll cut a slot in the bottom of the Denix and fix it that way, maybe even have it swing.

SAS

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Mar 17 2006, 01:37 PM
The knob is a cast on part and saws off real easy. The Denix is an Army and the Firefly version is a cavalry - that's where the differences come from.

I'm gonna make that piece out of either sheet ally or a solid block and then attach a lever piece to it.  Then i'll cut a slot in the bottom of the Denix and fix it that way, maybe even have it swing.

SAS
[snapback]1207791[/snapback]​
So kind of like this? Fixed or hinged.
underbarrelsupport2.jpg

*super fast magic edit*
boy that turned out to be a small picture.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back