constantine screencap req - silver coin

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
im hoping to give a shot at replicating this, along with another coin or two for parts of my collection, but never got around to getting the constantine dvd.

any chance of some screencaps? i dont recall if theres a great spot in the movie for specific coin details, but iirc the coin is held up to the camera after they discover bug's body in the bowling alley.

im working off memory here, so i may be a bit off, its been a while since i have seen the film.

side note, if someone has pics of what the coins looked like back then ***** was walking around, please share em. i THINK that the silver coin is one of the 30 paid to judas... not positive though.

pics of either are very welcome

thanks in advance

chris

yea, its not a shekel or a stater, i dunno what kind it is.

i DID find a place that sells replica shekels and staters, but its about 2.50$ a coin. so, getting 30 of em in a sack would run near 80 bucks (including sack price)

it was on cinemax tonight, and i watched it a few times (love the DVR system.) and they never really show the ENTIRE coin. something (a finger, etc) is always in the way of the coin.

anyone know if balthazar is linked to any particular coin in any legend? not having much luck on that either.

thanks for the help man, looking forward to that package in the mail :D

chris

Ok. Lets see if we can get something close to what's seen on screen. the Star Wars parts seekers have been able to identify parts that are over 60 years old. What's an ancient coin, if it is indeed ancient and not a prop piece. i suggest a good way is to send this pic out to coin collectors and see if they have seen anything like it. If someone can try to trace the details, that may help out.
bcoin3jb.jpg

Ok, poking around, I believe the coin in question is a Byzantine Follis.

http://www.romancoins.info/Byzantines.html#justinian

Something like those.

Those puppies started showing up around 498 AD.

Now, the prop coin doesn't look like a real coin — the Folles were bronze coins.

So... this may have been made for the film, or may just have been a generic old coin they had lying around...

-Mike

The fron with the "M" and cross looks to be based on those coins, but the opposite side closley resembles the Aztec Gold from Pirates of the Carribbean

They do look like letters but not clear enough to distinguish which ones. They letters resemble those from both Greek alphabets and Latin. Hmmm...The Follis on the M side looks like a great match. I'll try to get a screen cap of at least somethign on the other side.

So I spoke with a few coin collectors. They tell me it's a Byzantine Follis like Sith Sheriff Brody stated above. The M is the value of the coin. He also said the only one he's seen with such a large X was a Justin II follis. Unfortunately, without seeing the obverse, theres' no way of knowing exactly which one. I know a shop in London that may be able to help me. I'll be going there in a few weeks and i'll see what they say.

Originally posted by TFrosst@Feb 26 2006, 09:41 AM
So I spoke with a few coin collectors.  They tell me it's a Byzantine Follis like Sith Sheriff Brody stated above.  The M is the value of the coin.  He also said the only one he's seen with such a large X was a Justin II follis.  Unfortunately, without seeing the obverse, theres' no way of knowing exactly which one.  I know a shop in London that may be able to help me.  I'll be going there in a few weeks and i'll see what they say.
[snapback]1193961[/snapback]​

Someone finds me a good drawing and I will machine it....

Appliedmetal

That'd be awesome clay but no one seems to know of any good pictures. Was there anything in the bonus features on the DVD about the coin?

i think it may be a custom piece. theres interviews where the guy who played balthazar(sp?) mentioned always playing with the coin, plus having extras nearby for his scenes in case he dropped em.

as far as i know though, no scenes of the top of the coin.

chris

Damn. Has any thought of visiting the WB "museum" on their studio tour? Constantine was a WB movie so maybe they have a few constantine items on display.

Well, Do we want it to be "screen accurate" or do we want our version of the coin??

If you want something designed, just let PropRunner, Franz Bolo or Juno know. They do great graphic work. Once they get something designed, they can get it to me and I can cut it. What is nice is that I can cut a master and then pour them solid with the AMT process.
AppliedMetal

Sooooo, After a bit of searching, I think i've found a good base for the coin design. Ignore the graphics, but this image gives us a clear image of a nice shape for it. The roughed up edges and the rasied area around the perimeter of the coin(just make it slightly thinner) resemble what we can almost see on screen.

Clay, if you were to machine something like this, is it possible to machine the worn edges?

constantinesticker0mk.jpg

Now, who wants to try their hand at tracing at least the side with the M for now?? Any takers??

as far as the coin itself, if someone wants to take a crack at it and machine out some, awesome. i doubt we can ever get movie accurate as there are no upper side pics of it and it was probably a custom jobby anyway.

i just picked up that particular old coin cause it looks like it's close enough for government work ;)

hell, if be more than happy to send my coin to someone to keep the M in shape.

chris

(edited, posted before morning caffiene)

That's just a pic oof some promo sticker I found. I thought the edges have the right look to them. Everything else has to go.

Originally posted by TFrosst@Mar 4 2006, 11:53 AM
Sooooo, After a bit of searching, I think i've found a good base for the coin design.  Ignore the graphics, but this image gives us a clear image of a nice shape for it.  The roughed up edges and the rasied area around the perimeter of the coin(just make it slightly thinner) resemble what we can almost see on screen.

Clay, if you were to machine something like this, is it possible to machine the worn edges?

constantinesticker0mk.jpg

Now, who wants to try their hand at tracing at least the side with the M for now??  Any takers??
[snapback]1198624[/snapback]​

This is awesome--I want one also--

As far as the edges, the machines do what we tell them to--If we want it to look old and worn, it will.

Get me pics--I will try to scan this one in and see how it turns out.

Appliedmetal.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back