constantine screencap req - silver coin

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hydin, Feb 19, 2006.

1. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

im hoping to give a shot at replicating this, along with another coin or two for parts of my collection, but never got around to getting the constantine dvd.

any chance of some screencaps? i dont recall if theres a great spot in the movie for specific coin details, but iirc the coin is held up to the camera after they discover bug's body in the bowling alley.

im working off memory here, so i may be a bit off, its been a while since i have seen the film.

side note, if someone has pics of what the coins looked like back then jesus was walking around, please share em. i THINK that the silver coin is one of the 30 paid to judas... not positive though.

pics of either are very welcome

thanks in advance

chris

2. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

I will try to get a screen grab for you a little later.
    Yea you can see it real Well when she picks it up after Beeman gets it.

this is the closest I can find so far, I just remember it had an M on one side
    http://ancient-coins.com/image/k157.jpg

3. hydin

yea, its not a shekel or a stater, i dunno what kind it is.

i DID find a place that sells replica shekels and staters, but its about 2.50$ a coin. so, getting 30 of em in a sack would run near 80 bucks (including sack price)

it was on cinemax tonight, and i watched it a few times (love the DVR system.) and they never really show the ENTIRE coin. something (a finger, etc) is always in the way of the coin.

anyone know if balthazar is linked to any particular coin in any legend? not having much luck on that either.

thanks for the help man, looking forward to that package in the mail :D

chris

4. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok. Lets see if we can get something close to what's seen on screen. the Star Wars parts seekers have been able to identify parts that are over 60 years old. What's an ancient coin, if it is indeed ancient and not a prop piece. i suggest a good way is to send this pic out to coin collectors and see if they have seen anything like it. If someone can try to trace the details, that may help out.
    [​IMG]

5. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, poking around, I believe the coin in question is a Byzantine Follis.

http://www.romancoins.info/Byzantines.html#justinian

Something like those.

Those puppies started showing up around 498 AD.

Now, the prop coin doesn't look like a real coin — the Folles were bronze coins.

So... this may have been made for the film, or may just have been a generic old coin they had lying around...

-Mike

6. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

The fron with the "M" and cross looks to be based on those coins, but the opposite side closley resembles the Aztec Gold from Pirates of the Carribbean

7. Mike J.

I was thinking that stuff around the outermost edge of the front side might be letters...

-Mike

8. TFrosst

They do look like letters but not clear enough to distinguish which ones. They letters resemble those from both Greek alphabets and Latin. Hmmm...The Follis on the M side looks like a great match. I'll try to get a screen cap of at least somethign on the other side.

9. TFrosst

So I spoke with a few coin collectors. They tell me it's a Byzantine Follis like Sith Sheriff Brody stated above. The M is the value of the coin. He also said the only one he's seen with such a large X was a Justin II follis. Unfortunately, without seeing the obverse, theres' no way of knowing exactly which one. I know a shop in London that may be able to help me. I'll be going there in a few weeks and i'll see what they say.

10. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

Someone finds me a good drawing and I will machine it....

Appliedmetal

11. TFrosst

That'd be awesome clay but no one seems to know of any good pictures. Was there anything in the bonus features on the DVD about the coin?

12. hydin

i think it may be a custom piece. theres interviews where the guy who played balthazar(sp?) mentioned always playing with the coin, plus having extras nearby for his scenes in case he dropped em.

as far as i know though, no scenes of the top of the coin.

chris

13. TFrosst

*. Has any thought of visiting the WB "museum" on their studio tour? Constantine was a WB movie so maybe they have a few constantine items on display.

14. hydin

dunno of a WB tour for it, cant seem to find any pics of it.

i broke down and picked this up though, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8386967503

it's not 100% movie accurate, but if i want to try and make one of my own, itll at least give me something to work with that has some detail :D

chris

15. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

Well, Do we want it to be "screen accurate" or do we want our version of the coin??

If you want something designed, just let PropRunner, Franz Bolo or Juno know. They do great graphic work. Once they get something designed, they can get it to me and I can cut it. What is nice is that I can cut a master and then pour them solid with the AMT process.
    AppliedMetal

16. TFrosst

Sooooo, After a bit of searching, I think i've found a good base for the coin design. Ignore the graphics, but this image gives us a clear image of a nice shape for it. The roughed up edges and the rasied area around the perimeter of the coin(just make it slightly thinner) resemble what we can almost see on screen.

Clay, if you were to machine something like this, is it possible to machine the worn edges?

[​IMG]

Now, who wants to try their hand at tracing at least the side with the M for now?? Any takers??

17. hydin

as far as the coin itself, if someone wants to take a crack at it and machine out some, awesome. i doubt we can ever get movie accurate as there are no upper side pics of it and it was probably a custom jobby anyway.

i just picked up that particular old coin cause it looks like it's close enough for government work ;)

hell, if be more than happy to send my coin to someone to keep the M in shape.

chris

(edited, posted before morning caffiene)

18. Mike J.

I'd be happy to try tracing the "M" side.

What's that pic from? Is that a promo coin or pin?

-Mike

19. TFrosst

That's just a pic oof some promo sticker I found. I thought the edges have the right look to them. Everything else has to go.

20. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

This is awesome--I want one also--

As far as the edges, the machines do what we tell them to--If we want it to look old and worn, it will.

Get me pics--I will try to scan this one in and see how it turns out.

Appliedmetal.

21. TFrosst

This coin is just some promo piece I found. I think it's a sticker. I like the rough outline of it but the actual design is nothing close to wha t we need. We need somene to attempt to trace the one in the pics above. When I get a chance, i'm gonna scan the movie again and look for better pics.

22. nm156

nm156 New Member

Antiquity coin dealer here.
    The opening first appearance of the coin you see it is silver I was thrown off a little because it looked like a Judean shekel year one after the Jewish War began May of 66 CE but it shouldn't have a cross image on the other side.
    The scene in bowling alley you can see the reverse image of a Byzantine follis, Large M , ANNO to one side / X on the other ( anno and X mean year of reign =10. Going back to the first appearance I see the Cross was the X and the Line of the M is barely visible.

Each side of this coin doesn't exist for the other. It should be a bust of a byzantine emperor and the Large M.
    For the final but ..... The large M is 100% byzantine image not seen in other coins but it was made in bronze not silver.
    It could have been a large fake silver coin you can buy in most of these port cities, or the prop guys decided to make a fun looking coin.

My two shekels

Nexus6 likes this.
  23. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Best thread necro ever.