**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

Anyway, it looks a bit too stark and contrasty now, I think.

SB
Great video!

Also, I always think the same thing, but often once I apply a flat coat it seems to knock everything back a few notches and level it all out. I often think my kit is a bit overweathered or even like you a bit too much contrast in some areas. As soon as I apply the flat coat it looks perfect.

Anyway, looking great!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I did some more weathering with the Vallejo washes on the top of the fuselage. I think it's all about going slow and building the weathering up layer by layer. I didn't take any photos of it, but I streamed it and you can watch it here, if you'd like:

And I was zooming it around the house, as you do, and just really liked how the engine lighting came out. So I took a pic of that. Just ignore all of the guts sticking out the back:

IMG_6035.jpg

I'm going to get onto weathering the bottom of the fuselage this week (maybe later today if I have some time). So stay tuned for that.

Thanks for watching!

SB

It is really coming together now! Excellent work

Great video!

Also, I always think the same thing, but often once I apply a flat coat it seems to knock everything back a few notches and level it all out. I often think my kit is a bit overweathered or even like you a bit too much contrast in some areas. As soon as I apply the flat coat it looks perfect.

Anyway, looking great!

I find mist coating with the base color and grime/shades colors is the best way to tie the weathering all together. You want your paint thinned down a lot and applied in light layers. I Think it is is key to getting the Star Wars look

It is really coming together now! Excellent work

I find mist coating with the base color and grime/shades colors is the best way to tie the weathering all together. You want your paint thinned down a lot and applied in light layers. I Think it is is key to getting the Star Wars look

I am going to need to try that out, I have always read and saw info on most coats but I have never attempted it on a kit.

Analyzer thanks for posting that video! I have gone down that rabbit hole and now I need to do something like this to my Y to tone down the contrast a bit. So thanks for that!

I have done a bit of work this week, in-between everything. I looked at some reference photos of Gold Leader and tried to replicate what I saw, and then added a bit of my own stuff there. So I worked on the bottom of the fuselage as well as the tops and bottoms of the engines.

IMG_6077.jpg

I like how the bottom turned out more than how the top turned out. I think that the top looks a bit overdone. I will try to bring it back a bit with some misting of the base coat later. I also got the weathering on the tops and bottoms of the engines as well today. I also streamed it:

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

I couldn't really find any photos of the bottom of the engines for GL, so I just kind of free-styled it with the airbrush. I'll go back in with a brush to add some more definition to some areas, more chips, laser damage, etc...

But overall I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together. It's hard to believe that this thing started off as some liquid resin in a bottle!

Anyway, that's all from me today. Thanks for watching!

SB

Little update for today: I did a bit of additional weathering by chipping with a sponge, hoping to tie things together a bit more. Then I added the t-tracks and the engine vanes at the back. Pretty happy with how it turned out, although there are a few gaps that I need to fill, such as in-between the clamps and the t-track. I will do that with some apoxie sculpt later. Anyway, here are the photos:

IMG_6088.jpg

IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

I also streamed the whole session as well, which you can watch here, if you're interested:

The t-tracks and vanes at the back are a bit too clean at the moment, so I'll go back in and do some additional weathering back there once it has dried a bit more. Then I'll do a subtle mist coat using the base color to help knock the contrast down a bit. Then add the canopy and front guns and I think we can call it done!

SB

That is looking really good!

I understand the "stay on target" final push to finish but always cringe thinking of what happened next. :eek::p

Really excited to get down the list of projects to my own Y-Wing but your latest words also apply to me. Need to finish what I'm already working on.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Not much to update about the Y-Wing, but I DID manage to take make a photo with some of my Bandai models:

A-Wing Blitz - 2K.jpg

Hopefully I can get the R2 unit painted and then I'll take some final photos of the Y and I'll post them here. Thanks for following along!

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back