COMPLETE: Hood Box Time Circuit - BTTF Part 3

Charles Kline

Sr Member
Thought I'd show off my most recently completed project.

The Vacuum Tube Time Circuit aka the Hood Box.
This project is the result of years of research, part finding, and drafting.
I CAD'd the whole hood box out full size, every component is in the exact spot.

It lights up exactly like the screen used one, I'll take a few photos with it lit up.

web.jpg

web.jpg

:)
Charles

Holy awesomeness! I'm am just stunned! That is a thing of beauty. How long did it take you?

...Now I have to go pick my jaw up off the floor. Great job.

-Nick

I am trying to play the game, spot the difference between those first two images. And I am not finding any real difference :). Awesome work Charles :cool.

I would say how awesome it would be if you strapped that to the front of your car and drove around town just to see who recognized it and get reactions, but someone would probably call the cops thinking you had a bomb on your car.

That is 'da bomb though ! Very exact, your attention to detail is perfect. Now go build the car to go under it !

I am trying to play the game, spot the difference between those first two images. And I am not finding any real difference :). Awesome work Charles :cool.
I know I need to shift the wires comming out of that elbow connector so the black one isn't as visible. See anything else?

Holy S***... Thats a piece of art... Im breathless to see something like this after all the years... No 15th edition of any hoverboard, no paper props anymore, even the DeLorean conversions start to get boring.

But this... Man, this is stunning... Be proud of it... I'm so jealous... ;)

Well, let us see how it lights up, how about a video?!?
More Details: How long did you take for the box? May I ask how much you spend in parts?!?

Sorry, I cant tell you how cool this is... sitting here and staring on the pictures for about 10 minutes...
Good job, really!

This must be the holy grail of BTTF Props what would fit into a BTTF collection even without a DeLorean... :thumbsup

I know I need to shift the wires comming out of that elbow connector so the black one isn't as visible. See anything else?
Nope, nothing that I can notice. In fact, you improved it by adding that required piece which was missing on the screen used hood box.

Charles left for Los Angeles this afternoon, but not before arranging a little lunch meetup between his awesome hood box, his first DeLorean (now almost fully revitalized by Charles[of Chicago]), and my nerdmobiles.

d4.jpg

d2.jpg

dbox.jpg

Charles said something that really stuck in mind just before I took this picture. We stood back after setting the box on the hood and sort of giggled to ourselves with how perfect it looked. The statement Charles made really embodied a feeling I've been unable to fully articulate in all the years I've been making stuff. He said, "It's like it was there the whole time," which to me is exactly the sort of sentiment one should get when the right part is added. When your additions and modifications are right, your mind just sees it as always having looked that way.

They are become the proud papas!
charlesbox.jpg

This was by far my favorite picture of the day, and I'd like to present it with a spin on a fairly played-out TNG meme
shiftdoc.jpg

Just imagine that with all the readouts, binders, the alarm clock, and everything else up on the dash... good lord

Last edited:
To answers some of the questions:

How long did it take you?

I built the wood box and started collection parts about 2 years ago, I worked on it moderately heavy for about 6 months, then got side tracked and didn't work on it for more then a year, then I worked on it heavy for the past month to complete it.

More Details: How long did you take for the box? May I ask how much you spend in parts?!?

I never keep track of prop spending. ;) But just for reference, (and since it was the most recent thing I bought) the leather and leather working tools and buckles to do just the straps, was over $120.

Charles that is incedible! As someone who knows what it takes to dive into that particular project...you really had your work cut out for you. The end result is perfection

mike

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back