scarletsnake

Hey there!

I'm Jon, and I'm a freelance graphics designer/indie game developer.

Like many of you, I grew up loving Small Soldiers, and wanted to have the actual figures used in the movie, or replicas that resembled them. The "Declare your allegiance" poster was one of the first things I saw when we moved to the States in 98. I was 8 years old, and I still remember seeing the Commando Elite in that dimly lit poster, without even seeing the movie, I was instantly obsessed. My love for Stan Winston Studio's work did not wither throughout the years. I kept looking and looking for movie accurate replicas even after 22 years.

So, there are many talented artists doing their own Small Soldiers replicas, and some even selling them, but while most of them do look great, they are way out of my price range. Having the skills to create a 3D printable model, and having access to an actual 3D printer, I've finally decided to have a go at making my 8 year old self the gift(s) he always wanted. Now I just need a time machine.

I've compiled an expansive assortment of reference photos from the internet and screengrabs from the movie, and this is what I have made so far. I welcome any and all constructive feedback, as well as ideas on how to further proceed with the project. I intend to make at least three fully completed replicas, so the printing/priming/painting/sealing phases will be somewhat documented here as well.

So here are some select pics/renders from the venture so far!
Apologies if some of the photos aren't that great, my phone is almost as ancient as the source movie.

First off was Major Chip Hazard, without a doubt, the coolest action figure ever designed.

09-front.jpg
14-front.jpg
16-Boots.jpg
25arm3.jpg
25Chip.jpg

From this point on, further tiny tweaks were made all over(especially on the face and hair) and it was now time to print!
For the face, torso, belt buckle and radio, I outsourced the prints so the finer details would come out better, and I could sand less.

Whats-App-Image-2020-12-21-at-22-23-25.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-11-at-20-53-52.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-23-at-17-55-20-1.jpg

The rest of the parts were printed by my dad in house. I was so happy with how this project was turning out, that I decided to have a go at my second favorite Commando, Brick Bazooka.

Brick003.jpg

Brick007.jpg
Brick014.jpg

Again, the finer detail parts were printed by the same company that did Chip Hazard. The rest of the parts that are going to be easier to sand/fill/clean will be printed in house.

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-31-at-00-54-46.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-04-08-at-17-54-55.jpg

I'm using some wood filler to create the creases in his clothes and to patch up the holes where the printer has failed.
The paint job is far from over, but I like painting on layers, however sloppy they may be, just to get an idea of how the build is going.

So this is where I'm at right now with Chip and Brick. While I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to be printed, I'm working on Link Static, which is really hard to do when there really are so few reference photos of him.

Link05.jpg

Link09.jpg

Link13b.jpg

Link15.jpg

I've noticed that several of the Commandos share parts with each other, in this case, I believe that Link's legs and boots are exact copies of Nick Nitro's legs and boots, so when I get around to modelling him, that should cut my work in half! (no pun intended, for those of you who remember the movie... ouch)

So this is where I'm at with the project at the moment. I hope to share my progress at least once a week, so be sure to check back every once in a while for updates!
Oh, and if anyone has reference photos of the original props, I'd really appreciate it.

Until next time then!

Hello everyone;

So I've been able to work on a lot of stuff this past week, I'll try and quickly go over them.
The first major update is that Brick now has arms. These were filled with wood filler, sanded, sprayed with spray paint, filled, sanded... The weather here in Istanbul has been quite cold as of late, so that spray paint did not dry properly, leaving unwanted paint build up and ruining the finish... I'm going to do more filler work and fix the imperfections, then paint the arms by hand.

00-SHARE-BRICK-ARMS.jpg

I've also gone ahead and properly painted Brick's hair, cleaned up his hairline and painted the "shadows" near where his forehead meets his hair. The final update for Brick in this post is that I've mixed and matched a color that resembles Brick's original tank top color, molded some creases with wood filler, and started painting his body.

00-SHARE-BRICK-HAIR.jpg

Next up is Chip's pouch, for some reason my dad's printer couldn't print the pouch attached to the left thigh, so we've printed this part separately. I've attached the pouch to the leg and gone over the parts where there's supposedly a strap holding it in place with wood filler. I'll be sanding and painting this part to look like it's on screen counterpart.

00-SHARE-CHIP-POUCH.jpg

Chip needed his iconic pistol, so I've modeled a decent replica from whatever reference(s) I've been able to gather. The parts were printed in two pieces, and the required thickness was achieved by taking some 300 gr paper I had lying around from my Batsuit emblem base, clamping and gluing 4 layers together, tracing and cutting the pattern of the pistol, and gluing this filler part in sandwiched between the two 3D printed parts. I then went over the seam lines with wood filler, sanded the excess, and painted the entire thing. Obviously the paint job isn't final. I'm satisfied with the results so far, but I'll go back and refine the surface to get a smoother finish and properly paint 'er up.

00-SHARE-CHIP-PIST.jpg

Last but not least, Link Static's 3D model is coming along nicely. I'm more or less done with his head & headgear, and am focused on getting his legs & boots finished. The legs look to be the same as Nick Nitro's, and both characters seem to have Brick Bazooka's long pouch attached to their right thighs, so this should make Nick's model much much easier to complete.

16.jpg

For now, I'll be focusing on cleaning up Brick's arms, completing Link's 3D model, and getting as much stuff printed as possible.

See you next week!

00-SHARE-FINALPIC.jpg

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the likes on the previous two posts, this week I thought I'd post more about Brick Bazooka & Link Static, and yes, I have done a lot more work on the duo, but... Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how fast I could model one of the commando elite. Or at least a bust of one of the members. So, about five hours of work in, I present to you, the first version of Nick Nitro!

Nick01.jpg

I found some older photos of back when one of the original props was up for auction, and that made things incredibly fun, as I wasn't trying to go back and forth between pixelated screengrabs from the movie and my 3d model. I've also done a quick mockup, just an overlay layer on top of the render with basic colors to see what the final model could look like. So far I'm very pleased with the results! What do you think?

Nick-Mockup.jpg

I'll be sharing the progress on Brick and Link, as well as Chip later this week. There have been some advancements in our 3D printing capabilities as of late, so I'm hoping to speed things up a notch with these Small Soldiers. Stay tuned!

Hey everyone;

Here's a quick post of the four character's heads next to each other. Brick Bazooka's remaining parts are being printed at the moment, and hopefully I'll be posting his update photos soon. I think Link Static and Nick Nitro's heads still have some work left, but I'm very happy with the progress so far.

Commando-Heads-Four.jpg

Stay tuned!

Hey everyone!

This week's post comes after some technical difficulties, as my dad has begun using his new 3D printer. But, the results are more than satisfactory. Here then, first, the remaining parts of Brick Bazooka, printed and ready for some filling & sanding!

a00.jpg

Brick's constantly checking up on me to make sure I get his legs right.

a01.jpg

Next up, are dog tags. Lots and lots of dog tags. I ordered these tiny dog tag chains a while ago from China, and received them recently. The problem is, I could only order in bulk, and was sent the wrong ones. Yikes. However, with some alterations, they're ready to be worn by their new owners.

a02.jpg

Finally, my birthday present from my lovely girlfriend. The Movie Storybook contains some pretty cool photos from the movie, and is going to be a great reference going forward.

storybook.jpg

Chip Hazard has been put on guard duty, as his final parts are being painted and assembled.

a03.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty excited about where this project is. I hope to complete Chip Hazard, get Brick assembled and start the printing process of Link Static by the next post, so stay tuned!

Hey there!

I'm Jon, and I'm a freelance graphics designer/indie game developer.

Like many of you, I grew up loving Small Soldiers, and wanted to have the actual figures used in the movie, or replicas that resembled them. The "Declare your allegiance" poster was one of the first things I saw when we moved to the States in 98. I was 8 years old, and I still remember seeing the Commando Elite in that dimly lit poster, without even seeing the movie, I was instantly obsessed. My love for Stan Winston Studio's work did not wither throughout the years. I kept looking and looking for movie accurate replicas even after 22 years.

So, there are many talented artists doing their own Small Soldiers replicas, and some even selling them, but while most of them do look great, they are way out of my price range. Having the skills to create a 3D printable model, and having access to an actual 3D printer, I've finally decided to have a go at making my 8 year old self the gift(s) he always wanted. Now I just need a time machine.

I've compiled an expansive assortment of reference photos from the internet and screengrabs from the movie, and this is what I have made so far. I welcome any and all constructive feedback, as well as ideas on how to further proceed with the project. I intend to make at least three fully completed replicas, so the printing/priming/painting/sealing phases will be somewhat documented here as well.

So here are some select pics/renders from the venture so far!
Apologies if some of the photos aren't that great, my phone is almost as ancient as the source movie.

First off was Major Chip Hazard, without a doubt, the coolest action figure ever designed.

View attachment 1444781View attachment 1444782View attachment 1444783View attachment 1444784View attachment 1444785

From this point on, further tiny tweaks were made all over(especially on the face and hair) and it was now time to print!
For the face, torso, belt buckle and radio, I outsourced the prints so the finer details would come out better, and I could sand less.

View attachment 1444786
View attachment 1444787
View attachment 1444788

The rest of the parts were printed by my dad in house. I was so happy with how this project was turning out, that I decided to have a go at my second favorite Commando, Brick Bazooka.

View attachment 1444789
View attachment 1444790View attachment 1444791

Again, the finer detail parts were printed by the same company that did Chip Hazard. The rest of the parts that are going to be easier to sand/fill/clean will be printed in house.

View attachment 1444792
View attachment 1444793

I'm using some wood filler to create the creases in his clothes and to patch up the holes where the printer has failed.
The paint job is far from over, but I like painting on layers, however sloppy they may be, just to get an idea of how the build is going.

So this is where I'm at right now with Chip and Brick. While I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to be printed, I'm working on Link Static, which is really hard to do when there really are so few reference photos of him.

View attachment 1444794
View attachment 1444795
View attachment 1444796
View attachment 1444797

I've noticed that several of the Commandos share parts with each other, in this case, I believe that Link's legs and boots are exact copies of Nick Nitro's legs and boots, so when I get around to modelling him, that should cut my work in half! (no pun intended, for those of you who remember the movie... ouch)

So this is where I'm at with the project at the moment. I hope to share my progress at least once a week, so be sure to check back every once in a while for updates!
Oh, and if anyone has reference photos of the original props, I'd really appreciate it.

Until next time then!
Hey Man! Will you share the blueprints?

Hey Man! Will you share the blueprints?
Hi Plastiktor;

Thanks for your interest, but this is a personal project of mine, and unless I'm contracted to do a job I don't share my development files. But if these characters interest you, please stay tuned as I'll be doing the entire set. Like Timmy says in the movie "Oh man, I can't believe they got me the whole set!"

Hey everyone!

So this week, I've devoted most of my time to getting Chip and Brick in a nearly completed state. More on that in a moment; but first, here's how Link's face changed:

Upload00.jpg

We've printed Link's head in several different parts to avoid loss of detail on the helmet, and were very impressed with the results. So first off, here's Link's head, fresh off the printer:

Upload01.jpg

Here's the usual filling and sanding, painting wet layers of acrylics. The rough surface is going to be smoothed in future layers.

Upload03.jpg

And here is Brick, testing out some of his new joints! Some of the joints weren't producing satisfactory results, so they'll be reprinted and assembled. I've put Chip next to him, just to give a rough idea of how they'll look together.

Upload02.jpg

So that's all for now, I'll be working on completing Chip and Brick(a lot of painting work on edges/cleaning etc...), and getting Link's body in a printable state. Stay tuned!

Upload04.jpg

Bonus: The case behind is a recent find of a Small Soldiers DVD in Turkish from the early 2000s. It was too tempting to pass up!

Hey everyone;

It's been a slow few weeks since my last post. But I've been working on the gang, and here are the updates.

First off, dog tags are nearly complete. Since the printed parts were so tiny, it was a bit difficult filling and sanding these pieces, but I think they turned out alright.

dogtags1.jpg

I've always been a fan of the dog tags on these guys, so it was a real joy putting them on the first two Commandos.

dogtags2.jpg

I'm going to mix some metallic paint with titanium white and paint over the tags to get a closer match to the bead chains.

Next up, Chip Hazard is nearly complete. I painted his holster and leg pouch as close as I could to the actual prop, but what's this? Gorgonite attack!

Gorgonite-Attack.jpg

I was away for a few days, and returned to find Chip's left arm broken off, and Link had a few deep cuts on his face as well. Makes me wonder if they've come alive before they're even complete... So I'm going to try a different joint system. I should hopefully have the results in by my next post.

Last, but certainly not least are the updates on Link Static. I've put together a couple of photos of the head in progress. Here are the parts going through some painting phases.

link-Progress1.jpg

The helmet had to be printed in multiple parts, and the concave part had to be flattened out to get a proper print. In order to have Link's head fit in the helmet, I had to drill multiple holes inside, and clear out the debris with sandpaper.

link-Progress2.jpg

To help paint finer details, I bought this little magnification device. My dad had bought me something very similar to this growing up, which I unfortunately lost some time ago.

device2.jpg

I also came across the same device while going through Small Soldiers for reference pics, which I thought was pretty cool!

device.jpg

Here is Link's head and helmet(being held by the device mentioned), all assembled except for his microphone. There's still a lot of work to do, so I'll glue the mic when everything is in a more refined state.

link-Progress3.jpg

Here is one of Link's pouches, I believe his pouches are completely different from Chip and Brick's. The same pouches seem to be used on Nick, who's next on my list.

Link-Pouch.jpg

Speaking of which, here are Link's hands (on the right) , which will be shared with Nick and Kip.

Link-Hands.jpg

Finally, Link's backpack/radio. Although he ditches this accessory after the briefing at the toy store, I've always loved the design of this backpack, mainly because of my love of Small Soldiers Squad Commander, the video game. So with the limited photos/references, I tried to model the backpack as close as I could. Here's the reference:

link-Backpack-Ref.jpg

The design looks to be based on a .50 Cal ammo can, with two antennas sticking out the top. The canisters behind look like M18 smoke grenades, but I could be wrong. In any case, the pouches and the backpack have been printed in multiple parts. I'll be using bendable wire for the antennas.

link-Progress4.jpg

So that's all for now. I hope to get a lot of work done on Link by next week, and continue work on Nick.

See you then!

Last edited:
Man I would love to have some of these characters! I’m part of a Facebook group where guys would pay some very good money to buy replicas like these

Hey Sharky! Thank you for your kind words, I'm having the time of my life re-creating these characters. Unfortunately, I neither have the rights nor the facilities to produce and sell copies of these characters at this time, buy maybe in the future I could get access to both, you never know. For the time being, I'm focusing all my attention on getting these guys done as best as I can. I'll be posting some updates tomorrow, or the day after at the latest, so stay tuned!

Hello everyone,

So this past month I've been playing around with Link's upper body, and I'm happy to say that we've got something printed that, in my opinion, looks pretty close to it's on screen counterpart. Here is Link's upper body/torso, fresh off the printer:

Link-Body.jpg

Here's the progress on his backpack/radio set. There's still some work to do, but so far so good!

backpack-progress.jpg

I knew that Chip and at least one other Commando had a canteen on the back of his belt, but just couldn't find any proper reference photos of this elusive item. As some Small Soldiers fans might've seen, there was a Soft Garage Chip Hazard statue up for auction on e-bay, and on his belt, the great canteen. I took some screenshots and finally got to modelling.

Canteen.jpg

As a small little side project, I decided to model & print the joint extensions (which I believe are "Allen Key" slots?) that were prominent in all the promotional photos, the photos that made me fall in love with these characters all those years ago. I'll be gluing these pieces on, like decals.

Allen-Slots.jpg

Finally, I decided to expand the project's scope to include the props that the Commando Elite had in their promotional photos, ie the guns and ammo. Here's the rifle that Chip & Link wield in some photos, there was a recent online auction where I've managed to grab hi-res photos of two of the rifles:

Rifle-01.jpg

Rifle-02.jpg

I tried to get the details on both sides as close as I could manage. I'll be modelling all the weapons, but due to all the tiny details, these will be outsourced to be printed in finer detail.

So that's all for now, as always, stay tuned!

Hi Plastiktor;

Thanks for your interest, but this is a personal project of mine, and unless I'm contracted to do a job I don't share my development files. But if these characters interest you, please stay tuned as I'll be doing the entire set. Like Timmy says in the movie "Oh man, I can't believe they got me the whole set!"
Is there any chance you would sell a full set of each figures or each one by them selfs or even the file I’m willing to pay a big amount but nothing super crazy I’ve been a huge fan of this movie since I was 4 and I have always wanted something like this in my life I understand it’s a personal project but this would finally bring joy to my life again, if there is any deal we can work out please let me know I will check in here at lest 4 times a week so I don’t miss a reply

I don't think I've seen Small Soldiers all the way through but your models look great. Nice work.

I just discovered that "Small Soldiers" is on Amazon Prime now for free, if anyone is interested. I'm watching it now.

That's really cool, I hope some more people get to see this forgotten cult classic, as I believe it's really a gem of a movie in terms of character design and special effects.

Is there any chance you would sell a full set of each figures or each one by them selfs or even the file I’m willing to pay a big amount but nothing super crazy I’ve been a huge fan of this movie since I was 4 and I have always wanted something like this in my life I understand it’s a personal project but this would finally bring joy to my life again, if there is any deal we can work out please let me know I will check in here at lest 4 times a week so I don’t miss a reply

Hey man, I know exactly how you feel. From 98 till recently, I was going nuts trying to find movie accurate replicas that I could afford. Which drove me to start this project, as the replicas out there were too expensive! I unfortunately can't create or sell any of these characters right now, maybe in the future. There are lots of reasons but the main one being is that I don't have the facilities to produce copies, and most of the models I've made were designed to be printed out of our cheap ol' printer, which has a lot of issues. So some of the details on the characters are hand sculpted, here's an example:

Link-Sculpting.jpg

Link Static's helmet was printed in several parts, but the way they connect with one another meant that certain details were lost.
So even if I sold the 3d models and you printed them, you wouldn't get the same figures that are standing next to me right now. I'd need to make molds of each refined and hand-corrected part in order to achieve the same accuracy. By the way, sorry for the crappy photo, Link's not yet finished :) He'll look prettier, I promise.

I don't think I've seen Small Soldiers all the way through but your models look great. Nice work.

Thank you Krats. I love these characters and it means a lot to receive this kind of response. I hope you get a chance to see the movie in it's entirety someday (y)

I apologize to everyone who's been keeping up with this project, as we've been having some record-setting heat waves in Istanbul, it's been nearly impossible to work on anything. Even if the ACs on it's highest speed, it still has difficulty cooling a room, and our printer hasn't been able to print anything new since my last post. I have, however, been busy with the 3d models, especially with all the weaponry. I realize that some of the prop guns were used as the basis for some of the Hasbro line's accessories, so I took those as reference and added the details the screen used props had.

Here's Nick Nitro's carbine-thingy:

Nick-Gun.jpg

Here's Brick's LMG:

Brick-Gun.jpg

And here's the beginning of something extra, for an upcoming Commando ;)

Kip-Ninja.jpg

I've also been concluding Link (and Nick's) pants, the creases and the boot details.

Hopefully, when this heat dies down, I'll be able to share more updates with you. I've also ordered some Small Soldiers related goodies online, and I'll be sharing some of their photos/info on here as well. Until then, take care everyone, and stay tuned!

Hey everyone, sorry for the late post. The heat wave has continued to torture us since my last post, but we've been able to print most of Link's parts:

post-Link-Parts.jpg

I took this photo yesterday, and have applied wood-filler paste with water to clean up the print lines since. I, unfortunately (maybe due to the heat messing with my head?) got the arms way too big so they'll have to be re-printed, but the rest of the parts are looking good.

The rifles/accessories I've shared with you these past few weeks were supposed to be printed by now, but the company I've outsourced them to seems to be having some difficulty with their printers. So stay tuned for that...

post-Chip-Brick.jpg

I've mentioned previously that I've started buying some Small Soldiers goodies, and the first of these items has arrived. It's from a magazine called "SFX" from Britain. This issue was published in 1998, and has interviews with ILM members and Stan Winston, and some making-of photos. I thought Small Soldiers fans would find this interesting, so I'm sharing scans of some of the pages :)

scan001.jpg

scan006.jpg

scan007.jpg

I spend a few nights a week just going through random sites looking for anything and everything related to Small Soldiers. I found what I would call the "Holy Grail" of Small Soldiers collecting, but the seller found out at the last minute that he had sold it some time before, had to stay up late to order it and wake up a few hours later to receiver the order cancelled mail. Bummer. Still in contact with him, as he's looking for another "grail". I won't share what it is until I get it ;) .

Hopefully, by next post, the heat wave will have died off, Link will have progressed further, the accessories will have arrived and the world will be a better place :)

Finally, I'd like to leave you with a photo that fans of the movie will find familiar. My cat Kumral (translates to Brunette) found Chip Hazard on a recon mission of our home, and wanted to say hi in her own way.

post-Chip-Kumral.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Hey everyone;

Here's some good news; the heat wave has finally died down in Istanbul and I'm back in my workshop. There's a lot to get into. Here's the latest from my Commando Elite:

Final.jpg

So, I've completed Link Static's 3D model, and since he's identical to Nick Nitro from the waist down, we went ahead and started printing a duplicate set of parts for Nick! Below are some of the parts, fresh off the printing trey.

Parts-Printed.jpg

Having the workspace in a cool enough state, I went ahead and (nearly!) completed Link's helmet. The back still has some work left. I'll be using a thin steel cable to secure his microphone to his helmet.

Link-Helmet.jpg

Link's legs were by far the most amount of work I've put in these guys this week. The pouch on his right thigh has some filling and painting left work, but the base (pants) is/are pretty much done.

Link-Progress.jpg

Finally, the company that I outsource my more complicated print work has sent me the first batch of what I like to call; The Commando Elite Deluxe Accessory Pack!

Accessories1.jpg

In this pack, there are two Chip Hazard rifles (One for Link to carry on his back, like he does in the famous diorama of all the characters from the film that was in Stan Winston Studios.), a Brick Bazooka LMG, a Kip Killigan rifle, and a Nick Nitro carbine! I've added a faux-leather/pleather strap to Chip's rifle and painted it as close as I could to it's original counterpart. It's really cool how he can shoulder the rifle, hold it in his hand and sling it on his back, as if this really was an action figure and an accessory pack I bought from an actual toy manufacturer. So far, the only other weapon I've had a chance to work on was Brick's LMG. I'm really happy with how they both turned out. More to come on this front...

Next up are some of my latest acquisitions. As an 8 year old kid, I loved Small Soldiers, much to the displeasure of my parents. They thought it was too violent, and weren't too pleased that I liked the Commandos more than the Gorgonites... I remember seeing this really cool ViewMaster set for Small Soldiers at the supermarket across where we lived, and I used to sneak to the toy section to look at frames from the movie, on the lookout for when one of my parents would leap around a corner! I have a viewing device from my childhood, still intact, and was able to finally purchase an unused/unopened set of Small Soldiers 3D reels on e-bay. Needless to say, I'm loving them! There are some frames from the movie I've never seen anywhere else. I've tried to get a pick of my favorite frame, that's of Chip Hazard on his helicopter, but the photo doesn't do the actual product any justice. I love this shot, Chip flying through absolute darkness with smoke blowing all around him. So cool!

View-Master.jpg

I've got a 20 page Japanese booklet from 1998, which has some nice photos from the movie. Here, Chip and I are deciding on which members of the Commando Elite to produce next!

Chip-Catalogue.jpg

I've also ordered some stickers from the movie, but let's save that story for the next post, for when we cover the Allen Key slot extensions I'll be attaching to the elbows and the knees.

So on to the topic of joints... We've literally tried around 5 different solutions, but none were satisfactory. I believe I'll be using some concave semi-circular magnets + convex semi circular screwheads to take care of the wrists and the neck, but I've got something really cool I just found out about on the way from a doll store in Australia. Hopefully that will conclude this issue once and for all. Again, more on that front in the coming weeks.

So Nick Nitro's next... But who could be on the list after Nick? Here's a little clue.

Butch-Render.jpg

Finally, I was over at my girlfriend's house, and I had Chip with me as I wanted to photograph him at a particular place in that house. I think it turned out pretty cool, reminds me of that PlayStation game ad where Chip is getting a tattoo. He's established an outpost, and is ready for any and all Gorgonite scum!

Chip-Outpost-Established.jpg

But then, suddenly;

Chip-Oglus.jpg

This little boy is Oglus (roughly translates to "Our Boy" in Turkish). We rescued him last year as he was injured, and he fell in love with us the first moment he saw us. My girlfriend's mother was gracious enough to take him in, and he seems to like Chip Hazard very much, like my Cat Brunette from my previous post. I swear none of these photos were pre-set this way, it's just that felines really seem to like Chip. Oglus took his love to the next level.

So that's all for now, there'll be much more to talk in the following weeks as I'm able to get into my workshop consistently.

Hope you are safe and well, stay safe and stay tuned!

Hey everyone;

This week's post will be somewhat brief, as the majority of my time was spent detaching the old glued down joints and the left over glue/silicone. But I'm very happy to announce that the final joints are in!

I don't know if I can post the link from where I bought these, but look up "doll armature(s)" on google. I found these parts while looking around on the net, from a "Transformers" fan forum, under the name: INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH BALL JOINTS. I couldn't contact the individual who started that post, but if you know them, please thank them for me. I got these parts from a wonderful Australian doll store on ebay. So here are the parts:

armature.jpg

These come in various sizes, but they're all very VERY strong and durable. I placed the new joints in the slots and used an epoxy based filling medium to secure them in place. If you're thinking about doing the same, rest assured that you can easily fix any mistakes later on, as epoxy filler paste is easily disintegrated using a drill. I messed up once, and had to clean the slots and redo the process. But now, Chip Hazard is really sturdy and strong, and can hold various poses with ease, as well as hold somewhat heavy objects in his hands! If you're interested in these joints and need more details regarding the process, feel free to ask.

Chip-Joints2.jpg

Next up are the Allen Key slots on the elbows/knees. This was something I was on the fence about, since the animatronic figures used in the movie don't have these, but most of the promotional photos of the characters feature these extensions. As a kid, I used to love this little detail, and so I decided to add some on my figures.

allenKey.jpg

Unfortunately, I made an error adjusting Link Static's height so his torso is being re-printed. Completing him will take a few more days, but after waiting twenty-odd years to get these guys, a few more days is nothing.

Nick Nitro. He's completed, and all his parts are being printed. Hopefully by the next post, he'll be in a near-complete state.

Nick-Render.jpg

So, that's it for now. Like I said before, the majority of my time was spent getting rid of the old joints and trying to get the new ones in place. Finally, I'd like to leave you with a photo comparing a Chip Hazard prop that was sold back in 98 with my replica. I'm very happy and proud with how this project is turning out!

Chip-Comparison2.jpg

Stay tuned.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back