Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

scarletsnake

Hey there!

I'm Jon, and I'm a freelance graphics designer/indie game developer.

Like many of you, I grew up loving Small Soldiers, and wanted to have the actual figures used in the movie, or replicas that resembled them. The "Declare your allegiance" poster was one of the first things I saw when we moved to the States in 98. I was 8 years old, and I still remember seeing the Commando Elite in that dimly lit poster, without even seeing the movie, I was instantly obsessed. My love for Stan Winston Studio's work did not wither throughout the years. I kept looking and looking for movie accurate replicas even after 22 years.

So, there are many talented artists doing their own Small Soldiers replicas, and some even selling them, but while most of them do look great, they are way out of my price range. Having the skills to create a 3D printable model, and having access to an actual 3D printer, I've finally decided to have a go at making my 8 year old self the gift(s) he always wanted. Now I just need a time machine.

I've compiled an expansive assortment of reference photos from the internet and screengrabs from the movie, and this is what I have made so far. I welcome any and all constructive feedback, as well as ideas on how to further proceed with the project. I intend to make at least three fully completed replicas, so the printing/priming/painting/sealing phases will be somewhat documented here as well.

So here are some select pics/renders from the venture so far!
Apologies if some of the photos aren't that great, my phone is almost as ancient as the source movie.

First off was Major Chip Hazard, without a doubt, the coolest action figure ever designed.

09-front.jpg
14-front.jpg
16-Boots.jpg
25arm3.jpg
25Chip.jpg

From this point on, further tiny tweaks were made all over(especially on the face and hair) and it was now time to print!
For the face, torso, belt buckle and radio, I outsourced the prints so the finer details would come out better, and I could sand less.

Whats-App-Image-2020-12-21-at-22-23-25.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-11-at-20-53-52.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-23-at-17-55-20-1.jpg

The rest of the parts were printed by my dad in house. I was so happy with how this project was turning out, that I decided to have a go at my second favorite Commando, Brick Bazooka.

Brick003.jpg

Brick007.jpg
Brick014.jpg

Again, the finer detail parts were printed by the same company that did Chip Hazard. The rest of the parts that are going to be easier to sand/fill/clean will be printed in house.

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-31-at-00-54-46.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-04-08-at-17-54-55.jpg

I'm using some wood filler to create the creases in his clothes and to patch up the holes where the printer has failed.
The paint job is far from over, but I like painting on layers, however sloppy they may be, just to get an idea of how the build is going.

So this is where I'm at right now with Chip and Brick. While I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to be printed, I'm working on Link Static, which is really hard to do when there really are so few reference photos of him.

Link05.jpg

Link09.jpg

Link13b.jpg

Link15.jpg

I've noticed that several of the Commandos share parts with each other, in this case, I believe that Link's legs and boots are exact copies of Nick Nitro's legs and boots, so when I get around to modelling him, that should cut my work in half! (no pun intended, for those of you who remember the movie... ouch)

So this is where I'm at with the project at the moment. I hope to share my progress at least once a week, so be sure to check back every once in a while for updates!
Oh, and if anyone has reference photos of the original props, I'd really appreciate it.

Until next time then!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

scarletsnake

Hello everyone;

So I've been able to work on a lot of stuff this past week, I'll try and quickly go over them.
The first major update is that Brick now has arms. These were filled with wood filler, sanded, sprayed with spray paint, filled, sanded... The weather here in Istanbul has been quite cold as of late, so that spray paint did not dry properly, leaving unwanted paint build up and ruining the finish... I'm going to do more filler work and fix the imperfections, then paint the arms by hand.

00-SHARE-BRICK-ARMS.jpg

I've also gone ahead and properly painted Brick's hair, cleaned up his hairline and painted the "shadows" near where his forehead meets his hair. The final update for Brick in this post is that I've mixed and matched a color that resembles Brick's original tank top color, molded some creases with wood filler, and started painting his body.

00-SHARE-BRICK-HAIR.jpg

Next up is Chip's pouch, for some reason my dad's printer couldn't print the pouch attached to the left thigh, so we've printed this part separately. I've attached the pouch to the leg and gone over the parts where there's supposedly a strap holding it in place with wood filler. I'll be sanding and painting this part to look like it's on screen counterpart.

00-SHARE-CHIP-POUCH.jpg

Chip needed his iconic pistol, so I've modeled a decent replica from whatever reference(s) I've been able to gather. The parts were printed in two pieces, and the required thickness was achieved by taking some 300 gr paper I had lying around from my Batsuit emblem base, clamping and gluing 4 layers together, tracing and cutting the pattern of the pistol, and gluing this filler part in sandwiched between the two 3D printed parts. I then went over the seam lines with wood filler, sanded the excess, and painted the entire thing. Obviously the paint job isn't final. I'm satisfied with the results so far, but I'll go back and refine the surface to get a smoother finish and properly paint 'er up.

00-SHARE-CHIP-PIST.jpg

Last but not least, Link Static's 3D model is coming along nicely. I'm more or less done with his head & headgear, and am focused on getting his legs & boots finished. The legs look to be the same as Nick Nitro's, and both characters seem to have Brick Bazooka's long pouch attached to their right thighs, so this should make Nick's model much much easier to complete.

16.jpg

For now, I'll be focusing on cleaning up Brick's arms, completing Link's 3D model, and getting as much stuff printed as possible.

See you next week!

00-SHARE-FINALPIC.jpg

scarletsnake

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the likes on the previous two posts, this week I thought I'd post more about Brick Bazooka & Link Static, and yes, I have done a lot more work on the duo, but... Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how fast I could model one of the commando elite. Or at least a bust of one of the members. So, about five hours of work in, I present to you, the first version of Nick Nitro!

Nick01.jpg

I found some older photos of back when one of the original props was up for auction, and that made things incredibly fun, as I wasn't trying to go back and forth between pixelated screengrabs from the movie and my 3d model. I've also done a quick mockup, just an overlay layer on top of the render with basic colors to see what the final model could look like. So far I'm very pleased with the results! What do you think?

Nick-Mockup.jpg

I'll be sharing the progress on Brick and Link, as well as Chip later this week. There have been some advancements in our 3D printing capabilities as of late, so I'm hoping to speed things up a notch with these Small Soldiers. Stay tuned!

scarletsnake

Hey everyone;

Here's a quick post of the four character's heads next to each other. Brick Bazooka's remaining parts are being printed at the moment, and hopefully I'll be posting his update photos soon. I think Link Static and Nick Nitro's heads still have some work left, but I'm very happy with the progress so far.

Commando-Heads-Four.jpg

Stay tuned!

scarletsnake

Hey everyone!

This week's post comes after some technical difficulties, as my dad has begun using his new 3D printer. But, the results are more than satisfactory. Here then, first, the remaining parts of Brick Bazooka, printed and ready for some filling & sanding!

a00.jpg

Brick's constantly checking up on me to make sure I get his legs right.

a01.jpg

Next up, are dog tags. Lots and lots of dog tags. I ordered these tiny dog tag chains a while ago from China, and received them recently. The problem is, I could only order in bulk, and was sent the wrong ones. Yikes. However, with some alterations, they're ready to be worn by their new owners.

a02.jpg

Finally, my birthday present from my lovely girlfriend. The Movie Storybook contains some pretty cool photos from the movie, and is going to be a great reference going forward.

storybook.jpg

Chip Hazard has been put on guard duty, as his final parts are being painted and assembled.

a03.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty excited about where this project is. I hope to complete Chip Hazard, get Brick assembled and start the printing process of Link Static by the next post, so stay tuned!

plastiktor

Hey there!

I'm Jon, and I'm a freelance graphics designer/indie game developer.

Like many of you, I grew up loving Small Soldiers, and wanted to have the actual figures used in the movie, or replicas that resembled them. The "Declare your allegiance" poster was one of the first things I saw when we moved to the States in 98. I was 8 years old, and I still remember seeing the Commando Elite in that dimly lit poster, without even seeing the movie, I was instantly obsessed. My love for Stan Winston Studio's work did not wither throughout the years. I kept looking and looking for movie accurate replicas even after 22 years.

So, there are many talented artists doing their own Small Soldiers replicas, and some even selling them, but while most of them do look great, they are way out of my price range. Having the skills to create a 3D printable model, and having access to an actual 3D printer, I've finally decided to have a go at making my 8 year old self the gift(s) he always wanted. Now I just need a time machine.

I've compiled an expansive assortment of reference photos from the internet and screengrabs from the movie, and this is what I have made so far. I welcome any and all constructive feedback, as well as ideas on how to further proceed with the project. I intend to make at least three fully completed replicas, so the printing/priming/painting/sealing phases will be somewhat documented here as well.

So here are some select pics/renders from the venture so far!
Apologies if some of the photos aren't that great, my phone is almost as ancient as the source movie.

First off was Major Chip Hazard, without a doubt, the coolest action figure ever designed.

View attachment 1444781 View attachment 1444782 View attachment 1444783 View attachment 1444784 View attachment 1444785

From this point on, further tiny tweaks were made all over(especially on the face and hair) and it was now time to print!
For the face, torso, belt buckle and radio, I outsourced the prints so the finer details would come out better, and I could sand less.

View attachment 1444786
View attachment 1444787
View attachment 1444788

The rest of the parts were printed by my dad in house. I was so happy with how this project was turning out, that I decided to have a go at my second favorite Commando, Brick Bazooka.

View attachment 1444789
View attachment 1444790 View attachment 1444791

Again, the finer detail parts were printed by the same company that did Chip Hazard. The rest of the parts that are going to be easier to sand/fill/clean will be printed in house.

View attachment 1444792
View attachment 1444793

I'm using some wood filler to create the creases in his clothes and to patch up the holes where the printer has failed.
The paint job is far from over, but I like painting on layers, however sloppy they may be, just to get an idea of how the build is going.

So this is where I'm at right now with Chip and Brick. While I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to be printed, I'm working on Link Static, which is really hard to do when there really are so few reference photos of him.

View attachment 1444794
View attachment 1444795
View attachment 1444796
View attachment 1444797

I've noticed that several of the Commandos share parts with each other, in this case, I believe that Link's legs and boots are exact copies of Nick Nitro's legs and boots, so when I get around to modelling him, that should cut my work in half! (no pun intended, for those of you who remember the movie... ouch)

So this is where I'm at with the project at the moment. I hope to share my progress at least once a week, so be sure to check back every once in a while for updates!
Oh, and if anyone has reference photos of the original props, I'd really appreciate it.

Until next time then!
Hey Man! Will you share the blueprints?

scarletsnake

Hey Man! Will you share the blueprints?
Hi Plastiktor;

Thanks for your interest, but this is a personal project of mine, and unless I'm contracted to do a job I don't share my development files. But if these characters interest you, please stay tuned as I'll be doing the entire set. Like Timmy says in the movie "Oh man, I can't believe they got me the whole set!"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.