Comics, do they work on film?

[

...I wonder what a film shot totally on protrait 2:1 (tall) would look like.
Would it fill the theatres just on novelty value alone?

Who knows? Would be worth a try, no? Easily done with any mobile phone or digital cam (and done by most of the mobile phone users when they film something). There is a reason that landscape is the default format for photography, btw ;)

Or you could just put a cache in front of your tv´s screen, to simulate that effect.

If you look at the images, then you might notice that the panel structure would translate into a panning of the camera more than to a 2:1 ratio, since it´s motion that is shown without a change in the position of the camera. So the camera is following the object in front of a background. Think "storyboard image that shows a pan of the fov". You would not want to undercut the sequence of nemo´s bed moving when the framing is always the same, right?
Btw, you IMO can´t look at those old comics and pull them up and compare them to current movie making. You should compare them to contemporary vintage movies. Very static camera positions.

I suggest you read "understanding comics" by Scott McCloud, it might help you get better access to comics.

Btw, you IMO can´t look at those old comics and pull them up and compare them to current movie making. You should compare them to contemporary vintage movies. Very static camera positions.

That's an interesting observation. I like it!
Once these I pads get sorted out, we might find a perfect hybrid of film and comic.
The thing is though, comics are so efficient in terms of telling a story with very little. Not as good as words, but the pictures work in such a basic way that a person can access the content before learning to read even.

That's an interesting observation. I like it!
Once these I pads get sorted out, we might find a perfect hybrid of film and comic.
The thing is though, comics are so efficient in terms of telling a story with very little. Not as good as words, but the pictures work in such a basic way that a person can access the content before learning to read even.

Same goes for a good silent film as well.

You need to seek out the comic "Gon" Gon (manga) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is an excellent example of simplicity that you see in comics and a cinematical visual story telling.

Michael

gonveaslan.jpg

I wonder If those vibration speed and sound lines would work on people who had never seen comics before. It's a learnt language as well. I do like the way you could shoot that scene with an anamatronic for the closeup and a rubber dinosaur and one pertified real lion for the head on shot. So mean.
reminds me of the "Gerty The Dinosaur" film in the link I posted just before.

Last edited:
I wonder If those vibration speed and sound lines would work on people who had never seen comics before. It's a learnt language as well.

Look at cave drawings and how they portrait motion. They added multiple legs to an animal, to show that it´s in motion. Same goes for egyptian and e.g. sumerian drawings around 2000 B.C. IIRC.

Funny thing is that what you see in speed lines above shows the object at rest and the background moving. In western comics it´s mostly vice versa, see the Flash or other superheroes and the speed lines that show motion.

I do like the way you could shoot that scene with an anamatronic for the closeup and a rubber dinosaur and one pertified real loin for the head on shot. So mean.
reminds me of the "Gerty The Dinosaur" film in the link I posted just before.

I was always amazed by how fluid McCay animated Gertie.
Looking at it now makes me wonder if McCay used footage of a real elephant and probably traced that?

It's pretty amazing considering how long ago it was. The drama is great also, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see if Gertie is going to obey.
Very clever stuff. indeed.

There's another Walt Disney doco in that set about Joshua Meador, he animated the Forbidden Planet ID creature. Those guys are so talented.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back