cold cast destiny hunter knife science

Pink Props

I already posted this on the 405th, but whatever.

here is my original destiny hunter knife I made by cold casting aluminum and acrylic paint.

IMG_2571.JPG

I have since gone back and tested different finishes with Iron powder, black resin, and aluminum darkener.

comparisons 1.jpg

The Iron powder is a lot heavier than aluminum so it doesn't coat the inside of the mold as well as aluminum. which is why you can barely see the black resin on the all aluminum knife.
The black resin with iron powder ended up looking a lot like graphite, not as shiny as the aluminum but still a nice finish.

7.JPG

The iron powder also made some cool delta looking patterns on the edges of the black.

8.JPG

The aluminum darkener turned out to be one of my favorites so far. I bought "Birtchwood Casey Aluminum Black" metal finish off amazon for a few bucks.
Because the aluminum is just on the surface I had to scrub it with the solution covered cotton ball, otherwise it doesn't noticeably react with the metal at all. The package said to leave it on for a minute and wash off with cold water.

time.jpg

I ended up getting a really nice finish by masking off a pattern with rubber cement and rubbing it till it was the darkness I liked. You can get a lot of depth using this method a lot of blues and slight golds.

13.JPG12.JPG5.JPGIMG_2833.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back