Code 3 Vader TIE Pictures Revealed

jvasilatos

Sr Member
Anyone else see the pictures? It seems a much better crafted replica in scale and detail than the other Episode IV stuff they put out that seemed more based on the old plastic model details and dimensions (especially the Falcon)... the cockpit shell looks much better scaled to the wings than the old ERTL kit too...

http://www.code3.net/product/detail.asp?item=15028

15028_11_large.jpg

15036_Bfront.jpg

I only wish a studio scale replica were being offered by MR because it seems this might be the only decent Vader TIE replica available against the old AMT/ERTL kit.

JV

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jan 5 2006, 04:13 AM
About how big is it?  Cool base.

Looks blue...  :confused

Thanks for putting up the pics.
[snapback]1151029[/snapback]​

Dimensions are at Code 3...

Isn't anyone else interested in this model or does anyone have any other info to chime in about it?

JV

I'm interested in it. But the price tag seems a bit high... For that kind of money I am looking for something closer to what MR provides. Code 3 while pretty cool is overpriced in my opinion. MR is overpriced as well but their stuff is top of the line so its a bit easier to justify...

Oh and I saw the original vader TIE at the MoM - it is blue ;) The camera light wash it out to make it look gray on film but it was definitely blue at the MoM in its glass case.

Jedi Dade

Originally posted by jvasilatos+Jan 6 2006, 07:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvasilatos @ Jan 6 2006, 07:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jan 5 2006, 04:13 AM

Looks blue...   :confused

Isn't anyone else interested in this model or does anyone have any other info to chime in about it?

JV
[snapback]1152411[/snapback]​
[/b]

Just wondering why this post is in the Studio Scale Modeling Forum?

Originally posted by Vinyl Guy+Jan 6 2006, 10:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vinyl Guy @ Jan 6 2006, 10:18 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jvasilatos@Jan 6 2006, 07:51 PM

Looks blue...   :confused

JV

[snapback]1152570[/snapback]​
[/b]

I was wondering the same thing.

I got to see the non-battle-damaged version in person at Comicon and it definitely isnt studio scale. Nor did it look that blue in person. Its maybe slightly larger than the MPC kit but I can't quite remember. Assuming that this verion is just a mod of thier first release. As for accuracy... not very. Code3 always does a sales job on how accurate they are but nothing they've done is really that accurate IMHO. Not trying to bash Code3, I just think if you say that you went to great pains to make something accurate, than it should be accurate.

My 2 cents

Dan

Dan

I thought the Code 3 model was studio scaled because the information said it was based on the original archive model.

JV
Originally posted by Vinyl Guy+Jan 6 2006, 10:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vinyl Guy @ Jan 6 2006, 10:18 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jvasilatos@Jan 6 2006, 07:51 PM

Looks blue...  :confused

JV

[snapback]1152570[/snapback]​
[/b]

Might be my imagination, but looking at the photos, it appears to me that the circular part of the canopy frame is way too thick. Other than that, it looks a lot better than the ERTL kit.

JV, here are the quotes from thier web site. i had to read them a couple times to get thier meaning...

"With over 300 hand-crafted pieces, all detailed features were scaled from the original TIE Advanced X1."

"This replica of the TIE Advance X1 Starfighter was molded based on the original models and photos from the Lucasfilm archives."

Using phrases like "scaled from" and "molded based on" can be easily misread as meaning the same size, but my take is they are saying that it is based on the actual miniature but is not the same (undoubtedly written by some marketing wizkid). It is a nice looking piece IMO but shouldnt be confused with being a studio-accurate replica.

MR was critisized early on for thier explanation of the AT-AT when it was discovered by the keen eyes of people on this board that most of the details on that replica were in fact not original kit parts.

I continue to be convined that the ONLY way to truly get an accurate replica of a filming miniature is to build it yourself using original parts or get it from one of the hardcore artisans that are part of this community.

Sorry for the long-winded post and I dont mean to offend anyone with my comments... :p

Dan

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back