Clear Sankara Stones *update* - COMPLETED!

Yeah I saw that and the little kid in my head went "I was reading that thread!!!!" :lol: I really need to add one of these to my collection because I want to get some of the basic Indy props (Grail, whip, diary, fertility idol, etc.)
Haha... Same!!! I literally was reading this thread just minutes before watching the video on You Tube. How awesome!!!

I was wondering if that was in reference to this! Quite the feather in the cap!
I knoooww!! The greatest prop-geek honor!

Haha... Same!!! I literally was reading this thread just minutes before watching the video on You Tube. How awesome!!!
Soo cool!!!

And so a quick update: I wasn't 100% satisfied with how things were turning out and kept thinking of how to get rid of the little dime-shaped flecks and get cracks instead.

It may totally backfire as it's still curing... but about 7 minutes and then 15 minutes into the cure I stabbed the ever-loving hell out of it from the inside out with a box-cutter.

I pulled it out of the mold on the 2nd "stabbing" and could see from the inside where the blade was going. It was pretty awesome! It looked similar to when the scientist in Jurassic Park drills into the amber.

The Stone while it is curing is HOT AF so I had to handle it quickly but it did indeed create beautiful planer cracks like the prop pictured here:

Indiana Jones - Temple-119.jpg

I suspect you can see in these specific stones where the hollow inside it is where they placed the light. Since it was obviously an incandescent bulb It was probably decently sized and (in theory) accounts for the 2nd sort of foggy hollow inside this dome that makes it look scooped-out.

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 7.51.43 PM.png

Will post more pics soon!

Last edited:
I knoooww!! The greatest prop-geek honor!

Soo cool!!!

And so a quick update: I wasn't 100% satisfied with how things were turning out and kept thinking of how to get rid of the little dime-shaped flecks and get cracks instead.

It may totally backfire as it's still curing... but about 7 minutes and then 15 minutes into the cure I stabbed the ever-loving hell out of it from the inside out with a box-cutter.

I pulled it out of the mold on the 2nd "stabbing" and could see from the inside where the blade was going. It was pretty awesome! It looked similar to when the scientist in Jurassic Park drills into the amber.

The Stone while it is curing is HOT AF so I had to handle it quickly but it did indeed create beautiful planer cracks like the prop pictured here:

View attachment 1587498

I suspect you can see in these specific stones where the hollow inside it is where they placed the light. Since it was obviously an incandescent bulb It was probably decently sized and (in theory) accounts for the 2nd sort of foggy hollow inside this dome that makes it look scooped-out.

View attachment 1587500

Will post more pics soon!
This is fantastic man

Here are some pics of the stone with the new "stabbing method" I realized after a failed... disaster - it was best to wait about 45 minutes to start doing this as it's too soft otherwise.

Just going from the inside out and running a blade through it.

This is pre-polish, clear-coat and paint.

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.22.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.22.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.22.50 AM.png

I place a really janky plug inside it during casting from another mold and remove it about 10 minutes in

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.23.08 AM.png

The hiney hole of the Sankara stone for anyone curious.
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 3.57.25 PM.png

Well, more than a pat on the back to her then…. I’d go so far as to give her a “well done miss”.
Again really good job to the both of you, keep it up.

I had the super rare opportunity to compare my Sankara stone to one at the Prop store and the height on mine compared to the prototype they had was spot-on - roughly 5.5 inches give or take a few mm. The base on theirs was a bit wider, but this prototype was clearly it's own unique thing.

The color of theirs was much more of a caramel, while my "solid" version is more chocolate brown. This one also looked as if it was smashed and glued back together which I think is literally what they did for some of the earlier test ones.

It was pretty insane to hold my sculpt next to one that has some ties to the film-made stones, even if it is a bit of an odd duck.

Here is the pic they have on their auction site. It was MUCH less bright in person and more of a dark caramel than this.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 12.38.21 AM.png

I did take a few comparison pics, but I don't think I can share them.

One more thing! I also strongly suspect for these first resin stones that they didn't over-catalize them like the clear ones and just did very poor clear-ish casting in a rough shape and then ground or cut them down somehow and that is likely why most of the stones are totally different aside from the main hero - and even that has different line placement from scene to scene.

You can really see in the up-close pics and in-person rough tool marks.

oh Hi Marks.
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 12.52.46 AM.png

Those look gorgeous! Really close to the money in terms of color. I really hoped you opened all your windows on top of wearing PPE, too, while doing all this. Polyester stinks, especially the cheap stuff, and you really don't want to risk your health for some cracked rocks.

Oh, FYI, Smooth-On has some great clear resins that can handle small and larger objects if you want to tackle these again in future. For the same amount of money you spent on these, you could get some better quality materials and can control your casting process a bit more. For larger pieces, you'd probably have to break it up into casting it in thirds so it all doesn't just kick immediately and build it up that way.

Last edited:
Those look gorgeous! Really close to the money in terms of color. I really hoped you opened all your windows on top of wearing PPE, too, while doing all this. Polyester stinks, especially the cheap stuff, and you really don't want to risk your health for some cracked rocks.

Oh, FYI, Smooth-On has some great clear resins that can handle small and larger objects if you want to tackle these again in future. For the same amount of money you spent on these, you could get some better quality materials and can control your casting process a bit more. For larger pieces, you'd probably have to break it up into casting it in thirds so it all doesn't just kick immediately and build it up that way.

Hey! Thank you so much!

So I did it outside on our balcony with a little fan going and a respirator. Still freaks me out though! That stuff smells so bad.

I wound up going with products from silpak in Burbank - which smelled a little less than the crappy stuff from Michael’s. Also was much more affordable.

Praying I didn’t knock any years off my life with his project-I did my best to keep it safe. But I also tend to be a whirlwind when I do stuff like this so The apartment suffered a bit of messiness.

How did I miss this thread. Great job. I'm trying to do my own as well. Haven't started yet, still in the research phase. You have given me hope. Thank you

Easily some of the best Sankara replicas ever made. I own two sets of Restaura's, the lighted and village version, and these look spot on. All of his magic plus movie proportions and overall feel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back