Clear Coat Questions

So, I'm having trouble with the clear coat I'm using on my Captain America shield. Specifically where I'm laying it over pain aluminum. I'm getting a ton of white smudges forming under the clearcoat after a few days. The smudges are under the clear, and cannot be buffed out. I've attached an image that shows what I'm talking about. You have to angle the piece at a certain view to see it.

This has happened twice to the back of the shield. I've stripped the back twice and recoated and they reappear.

I clean the metal with acetone and seal with a Laquer, although I have tried an acrylic as well. I'm thinking MAYBE I'm clearcoating too soon and the acetone is leaving a residue that I'm sealing in.

I'm going to try to leave the metal dry for a couple days after cleaning with acetone. See if that helps

Anyone have any ideas?

Smudges are forming on the front of the shield now. I want to figure this out before I strip the front of the shield and start over :(

This usually tends to happen when the clear is not sprayed wet enough, not dried in a high temp area and then bring grabbed before cured. Or this can happen to the paint too..

I used yo do touch ups on cars at a body shop in high school. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Thanks, yeah, back then I was using a Lacquer clear, which take forever to actually cure. I was touching it too soon, causing smudges. LEsson: Learned.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back