clay/sculpting know it alls - need help

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gigatron, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone can reccomend an air dry clay that doesn't shrink/crack (much, at least).

I was sculpting some IJ:TOD Sankara Stones and I used some regular air dry Activ-Clay from Michael's. I sculpted them over empty soda cans (to save weight and clay) and this morning, the clay had shrunk considerably and cracked beyond repair.

So, what can anyone reccomend for this project?

Thanks,
    Fred

2. Blad

Blad Sr Member

Would be interested in this too as every time I've used air-drying clay it's been a freaking disaster, making me feel a right airhole.

3. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WED Clay Walter E. Disney :D A water based clay great for large sculptures. It has a smooth, fine grain. It hardens to a leathery finish with less cracking than most water based clays. Also requires less water to maintain moistness. Average shrinkage is 5%, + o r- 2%, average water absorption is 10%.

This clay has been specially formulated to be a very smooth, slow drying clay for modeling. It is used primarily by design studios and the entertainment industry for modeling, design, mock-up and tooling. It is not formulated to be fired but can if needed. Wed clay is grey when wet and buff when fired.

4. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I posted a tutorial for Sankara Stones out of airclay a couple of years ago on COW:

http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=9356

Also on TPZ:

http://1.myfreebulletinboard.com/wwwlordof...in-about30.html

At the time, I used a product called 'Air Clay', made by Humbrol. Inexpensive and easy to work with.

If you want to fill the inside how about using some sponge, which will contract as the clay contracts and therefore avoid any cracks? I just used solid clay for mine, it dried thouroughly within a week or so.

Regards

Al

5. Tol Skorr

Tol Skorr New Member

Magic Sculpt, Magic Sculpt, Magic Sculpt.... I swear by this stuff. 2 part/air dry with no shink or cracking. Can be filed, drilled, machined when cured. I wont use anything else but this stuff.

6. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Thanks for the replies gang :).

I can't seem to find anyplace that actually sells WED clay, or a place in the US that sells Humbrol air clay. Magic sculp looks good, but man is it expensive.

How about this stuff: http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/12/ any feelings or thoughts about this stuff?

Thanks,
    Fred

7. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I've never actually used it, but it certainly looks to be the right stuff. :)

8. DarthJRW

DarthJRW Well-Known Member

that stuffs great .

ive used it a couple of times

9. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Magic sculpt is worth its weight in gold to bad it cost about as much as gold :(

10. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

if your looking for WED clay the compleat sculptor sells it, there based in NYC
    http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/clay/waterbased2.htm

they may even sell humbrol air clay check them out
    hope that helps. ;)

11. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

They carry WED but only in 50lb quantities. I hope the sankara stones weigh a lot less than that :lol. They don't carry the humbrol.

So, it looks like the stuff from dickblick it is.

Any other suggestions, feel free to post them up. I'm sure other people can use this info as well.

-Fred

12. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Cool tutorial, Al :).

I see you recently changed the dimensions listed from 6.5"hx3.5"d to 8x8x13cm (about 5"h x 3"d). Are they really that short, or are the dimensions 8"hx13cm (3")d?

Thanks,
    Fred

13. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

The 6.5" x 3.5" was really a 'guesstimate' by me, based on screen grabs and reference images.

The 8 x 8 x 13cm is taken from the 'Star Wars Archives' reference book - but it's clear from looking at the props that they actually vary in size, quite substantially - some are taller, others wider etc...

Personally, I would go for a 6.5" x 3.5" sculpt - after it dries it will slightly shrink anyway. Or if maing a set of 3, make each of them slightly different in height, girth and shape.

Regards

Al

14. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

http://www.getspfx.com/EM-217%20-%20WED%20Clay.asp

15. JDarko

JDarko Active Member

just a heads up, if you aren't planning on molding and casting them, WED clay would be a bad idea. Especially with the soda can interior. Its great for getting a hard enough surface to mold, but it cracks and breaks up if not stored slightly wet/ spritzed and put under a plastic bag. Will break up even more so if you use an armature.
    Just my two pennies.....

16. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Any water based clay will dry and crack if not "cured" properly. As stated above, you need to keep it spritzed and covered. If need be, wet a cloth or paper towel and squeeze out most of the water. Place this over the clay and cover with a plastic bag. Any air will start the process of drying.

17. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

APOXIE SCULPT!

This stuff is heaven. Similar to magic sculpt - 2 part, air drying, non-cracking, machinable and sandable. A bit pricey if you want to do larger things, but excellent for detail work.

An example of something I'm working on right now, with white and orange apoxie sculpt:

[​IMG]

18. Miracleman

Miracleman Active Member

And......it even come in metallic colours. Its really good stuff:thumbsup

19. DragonStar

DragonStar Member

That looks awesome!

20. Mostly Fantasy

Mostly Fantasy Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I vote for Aves as well- you won't have to worry about shrinkage, can use just about anything for a core/armature, and can mold it later if you change your mind.

21. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For something such as Sankara Stones I suggest using Chavant Clay, Not only can you Sculpt it to look like a real Stone but you can Polish the Clay when you have completed the Main forms.

Chavant Clay is what they use for Car Prototypes as well as Robocop's Armor and you can Polish it to a Smooth and Shiny Finish just Like the Sankara Stones in the Movie, Then you can Mold them easily and cheaply by doing a simple Brush-up Mold with a Plaster backing.

22. propologist

propologist Sr Member

I have always had success with air dry clay. If you keep it spritzed and covered with a damp cloth you can keep it workable forever. Then you can gradually back off the moisture to dry it slowly.
    I want to try the Apoxie too, I've used all kinds of oil based and don't enjoy the workability of them. Air dry is pretty easy to sculpt with and cheaper in large quanities

23. RPGnerd

RPGnerd Active Member

24. Dimclay

Dimclay Member

You can use regular air dry clay, not a problem since you hollow the sculpture, you can even use the soda can for core, but then you are happy with the sculpture just remove the core from the bottom and let it dry off the sun or heat, make sure your clays walls don´t exceed 1/2 in and you should be fine.

25. Jarvis B

Jarvis B Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I use the APOXIE SCULPT on most all my projects , It's a GREAT product and well worth the cost.