clay/sculpting know it alls - need help

For something such as Sankara Stones I suggest using Chavant Clay, Not only can you Sculpt it to look like a real Stone but you can Polish the Clay when you have completed the Main forms.

Chavant Clay is what they use for Car Prototypes as well as Robocop's Armor and you can Polish it to a Smooth and Shiny Finish just Like the Sankara Stones in the Movie, Then you can Mold them easily and cheaply by doing a simple Brush-up Mold with a Plaster backing.

I have always had success with air dry clay. If you keep it spritzed and covered with a damp cloth you can keep it workable forever. Then you can gradually back off the moisture to dry it slowly.
I want to try the Apoxie too, I've used all kinds of oil based and don't enjoy the workability of them. Air dry is pretty easy to sculpt with and cheaper in large quanities

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone can reccomend an air dry clay that doesn't shrink/crack (much, at least).

I was sculpting some IJ:TOD Sankara Stones and I used some regular air dry Activ-Clay from Michael's. I sculpted them over empty soda cans (to save weight and clay) and this morning, the clay had shrunk considerably and cracked beyond repair.

So, what can anyone reccomend for this project?

Thanks,
Fred

You can use regular air dry clay, not a problem since you hollow the sculpture, you can even use the soda can for core, but then you are happy with the sculpture just remove the core from the bottom and let it dry off the sun or heat, make sure your clays walls don´t exceed 1/2 in and you should be fine.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back