Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Re: Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Dave, looks like you posted while I was still fiddling around with the arrows in photoshop. Yeah, have been brooding over these too, but the pictures sofar have been too dismal to get a good look at them. Here's one that has not been much help:

Actually, that is a good photo, as it shows the general layout of the interior of the engines (you can see the holes in the end of the turned brass inserts), as well as the little pipes that fed the liquid nitrogen.

The little domes appear to be headlights from some form of jeep (US or German).

Gene

Actually, that is a good photo, as it shows the general layout of the interior of the engines (you can see the holes in the end of the turned brass inserts), as well as the little pipes that fed the liquid nitrogen.

The little domes appear to be headlights from some form of jeep (US or German).

Gene

The photo is good for other things, I agree with you. I was referring solely to the four round parts at the bottom. Every pic is a good pic! Hopefully, more pics will be shared - did I mention this was a cool thread? :cool

Andrew, great photo, I agree with you about the quality of the kit.:thumbsup

I was looking through some kits and trying to find that "Y" piece. If you split that part and say it is from two kits, then I have a possible part for the back half, look on the 88mm flack 36/37 on the wheel-well part, there is a cross piece that is flat on the bottom and has the ring around the end. I believe I can see the same seam on the viper part. The shape of it would make it easier to glue and to mold. What do you think? Am I trying to hard? :confused

Dave

Dave, you and me are of the same mind, so you can not try too hard! :) Check out the first pic (same idea you suggested) for the two non canon parts, if the 'real' Y-shaped part can't be found, then faking it will be plan B.

Picture two shows the best part found, but it still isn't right one. (Another plan B)

I scanned picture three this morning from the cover of an old Newsweek magazine - this is the best picture of the 4 round parts I had, until Gary and Rob's picture showed up! :love:thumbsup

Been digging thru some old vintage magazines to scan in the near future, and will put them up in this thread when get a 'rountuit'.

Turbos firm!
Andrew

re: the leaf spring - I couple of posts back I posted a photo of a part from the Airfix Scammel Tank Transport that also has a part that looks a bit closer than the leaf spring. Not the part, but also a good plan 'B'. Here's the thing, that part on the Viper looks like a bogie assembly from an Italian tank - like a Semovente (or something like that). Tamiya makes one in 1/35th and it had the right shape. But we need it in 1/72nd scale. So, look for some Italian tanks in 1/72nd scale - maybe we'll get lucky. (Do/did they even make esoteric Italian tanks in 1/72nd scale?)

I like the plan 'B' parts for the laser cannon body inserts!

Gene

Hey guys,

GKvfx, I have an idea for the leaf spring and I'll check and let you know what I find.

Here's the scans of the T-34/76 ESCI/ERTL. The hard plastic tread are suppose to be the correct ones.

DSCN3972a.jpg

DSCN3977a.jpg

DSCN3978a.jpg

DSCN3980a.jpg

DSCN3982a.jpg

DSCN3985a.jpg

DSCN3987a.jpg

DSCN3987a.jpg

DSCN3988a.jpg

DSCN3989a.jpg

DSCN3991a.jpg

DSCN3992a.jpg

These are pictures guys. I simply could not get it to scan with the same detail.

Rob.

hey GKvfx,

That's good thinking
re: the leaf spring - I
But we need it in 1/72nd scale. So, look for some Italian tanks in 1/72nd scale - maybe we'll get lucky. (Do/did they even make esoteric Italian tanks in 1/72nd scale?)

But, if your talking about the Italian tank I think you are then I can tell you first hand it's not a match. Though ,there certainly may be Kits of other Italian tanks I'm unaware of..
Like I posted earlier, I bought about 5-6 different 1/72 & HO scale kits (with leaf spring parts) each time a false lead.
I should probably post a list so as to help with a process of elimination.

I've shifted my focus of my hunt from military to "Civy" kits -- possibly HO train kits like those made by Rosebud...

Great pics Eagle-1 :cool

Re: Leaf-spring Greeble :confused

This is the Italeri (Esci) Italian Tank kit that I bought that turned out NOT to be a match for the Leaf-spring Greeble.
1/72 Italian Semovente 75/18 40-41 Self Propelled Gun
As you can see it looks promising from the picture but the parts in reality were "off " in the details and scale.

There is another 1/72 Italeri Italian Tank Kit. The Carro Armato M13/40
The suspension/bogies look very similar in design I don't know if they are the same size or not --it might bear looking into....

Just posting this as an FYI

I just saw the Semovente over at Kit Kraft this weekend and went "Hey, a 1/72nd scale Italian tank. I wonder - maybe they did make others." I'd check the M13/40. That bogie system looks pretty close.

Gene

Sean C at the Starshipbuilder forum said that suspension piece is from the 1/72 esci/italeri 250/3 Greif. :love

I'll have to check that out,
I know I had purchased a similar 1/72 German half-track thinking it might be that front leafspring....
but I think it was Hasegawa; and it may have been the slightly larger German half-track they both look similar --the one I checked-out was not a match

I forgot which kit it was they sometimes blur together in my feeble mind.

:wacko

Thanks for the heads-up

Hey INCOM,

Thanks! it looks very promising
I found this on the web...
This is from the Italeri kit (If this picture is accurate)

Boy do I fell stupid. :confused

Last edited:

Hey, that looks very promising indeed! I still want to find that "Y" part to finish that area off! I know it's a simple scratch build, but I really want to find that part:cry

Do you guys know if they used "Plastruct" parts? I was looking at some of those ladders and they look like they could have been used in the area between the cowls and the engines. If not, any idea of what kit might have parts similar to these?

Hey Rob, what camera did you use to take those photos, they are incredible, I wish the kit scans posted at other sites looked like those!:thumbsup

I am glad that this thread is still moving along, I haven't had much time to work on my drawings, but the plan is to get back to it soon!

Dave

Hey Dave,

A NIKON 5700.

It's getting old now, but it can still hold it's own, especially on macro shots!

I can get even tighter than that with it.

;)

Rob.

I know I keep chiming in with these "negative" affirmations regarding some of the greebles.
I have checked out Plastruct's ladders at least the ones carried at an art supply store near me they have a pretty extensive offering of Plastruct's Catalog.

The closest ladder they have (an N-scale ladder) is not a match.
The rungs are to far apart.
It is possible they have something else in their catalog.
I'll try to post a pic.

I did find some ladders that were pretty close match however I know these were not what Apogee used.
They were high-quality railroad accessories. One was brass Photo-etched (for adding details to rail cars the other was for a Train-yard signal light that had a ladder up the side.

-Still not quite an ideal soulution. I had considered making photo-etched parts... with a few coats of thick-primer before attaching it it would easily be more rounded

Of course, one can always spend the effort to glueing fine styrene rod together
...ummmh a fun way to spend a Saturday night! :)

Last edited:

Hey I just stumbled across this..

Its another part from the Airfix 1/72 Scammel Transport kit (posted earlier by GKvfx regarding the leaf-spring greeble)

I may be jumping to conclusions - as I have nothing to reference the scale...

but could this be that ladder part?

GKVfx can you check since you have this kit?

thanks

Here's some more pictures guys. So far, to me anyway, not many of the things we've been told about are matching up very well.

Here's the Italian Tank fiat-ansaldo m 13-40. This is suppose to be the kit the leaf spring comes from. Even I can see, that's not it. I've added a couple pictures of the sides of my kit to maybe help?

Rob.

Last edited:

Sean C at the Starshipbuilder forum said that suspension piece is from the 1/72 esci/italeri 250/3 Greif. :love

Indeed - thanks to Sean C, who has posted a pic of the part, we know know where it comes from. I photoshopped a quick comparison, have a look:

Yes!!! Another confirmed part just a few more to go!!!!

I looked on the 8rad and found 4 of those light things, they look close, I'll post a photo later but my camera will not take those perfect pics that Rob's does. Maybe if your up to it Rob, you could take one,:love please?

D

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back