Classic Cyberman Helmet

Being latheless how it you manage to make the filters look so good?
The rings definitely look better being wider but honestly I prefer the peaks of each ring with a slightly steeper gradient.

It would look great as a display piece but having it as a wearable helmet would be epic.

School holidays and all I've finally managed to find some time. View attachment 110097 I have cut the back of the head off so it is wearable. I've qalso added some of the face detail. At least now I can work on it in pieces and really concentrate on the bit I am working on.View attachment 110100 One problem I have now encountered. Now that the back is separated from the front the front has sprung open slightly. View attachment 110099 This means I will have to work on some way of connecting the two halves together to hold the seams in place. I thought because it was moulded as one piece it wouldn't be under any tention, but I was wrong. Anyone else have this problem?

After building the top of the head, I have several options. Do I make it like the old style cybermen? Or do I take artistic licence? My problem is that to make it old style the concentric rings have to be the same size and therefore looking from the top it is quite tight. If I extend the rings a little so the lines actually curve around the head when looking from the top it looks like it would fit better. I will organise some pictures...

After building the top of the head, I have several options. Do I make it like the old style cybermen? Or do I take artistic licence? My problem is that to make it old style the concentric rings have to be the same size and therefore looking from the top it is quite tight. If I extend the rings a little so the lines actually curve around the head when looking from the top it looks like it would fit better. I will organise some pictures...

Personally I'd say go artistic license, this is your version and now you can truly make it your own.

I did the same thing with my TARDIS....

just my opinion

I'm still plodding away with this helmet but I'm being a bit pedantic when it comes to the finish. I hope to update soon. I have been approached by several people about selling these once I've finished, but whats the rules when it's not my design? I know that everybody is copying and selling other peoples characters but they are the big budget, lots of money films. This design is by an artist and has never been used commercially. He could be a fellow theperf member... What should I do?

This thread is impressive, most impressive.
And if I could pitch in on the wearable vs display decision, I'd say that you should make it wearable, IF and only if you can make a body suit to match. If not it'll be an amazing show piece

Hi all, I've finally started moving again. I've started a new job at a University in their 3dd building dept in charge of lots of wonderful power tools. My last job was a nightmare and I ended up on antidepressants, but the sun shines again!! I have had some details laser cut so I can get that crisp sharp look. I have also had a revamp of the top part of the head. I will supply photos, it's just that as a new job I am testing the water when it comes to making things in the workshop. So far the water seems warm.

Here are the laser cut bitsView attachment 144533 It looks fantastic and I think I will keep it as a seperate attachment. This is an ear vent that goes at the side of the head.

View attachment 144534 Here is the plate that sits in the front of the head. I had to guess what the markings were so I have made some different types. Is there such a thing as cyberman writing? Again I think I will make these seperate and keep it clear, but how the hell can I glue it on without the glue showing? Any suggestions?

View attachment 144817 I've started recurjigging the top of the head. I'm planning on creating the helmet in several pieces and attaching them together so I can keep the elements crisp. View attachment 144818
Currently I'm having a bit of trouble with the head band. I would like it to be sharp edged and straight angles but the MDF I am using keeps giving me a soft edge. I may have to try a different type of material? any suggestions?
View attachment 144819

Attachments

• 2013-07-29 16.02.04.jpg
    2013-07-29 16.02.04.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,478
Last edited:
Great to see you working on this again! The laser cut parts are looking SWEEEEEET!

Here is the plate that sits in the front of the head. I had to guess what the markings were so I have made some different types. Is there such a thing as cyberman writing? Again I think I will make these separate and keep it clear, but how the hell can I glue it on without the glue showing? Any suggestions?

I would try superglue on a test piece, the downside is some of them dry white depending on the surface. I've used Poundland superglue bottles in the past and had no issues sticking clear plastics together other than some surface meltage.

Also with your crisp edge problem you can add the same superglue (maybe resin too) to MDF (in a well ventilated area) and once dry it gives you a hard plastic composite material that you can get a nice finish on.

I'd just like to say that I am in no way affiliated with Poundland or Toolbox superglue :D

I've been ploughing away and here are the latest picsView attachment 146004 I've nearly completed the top of the head. Soon I will have to start adding the finer details. Once again I have no idea what it should look like so I will have to take some artistic licence.View attachment 146006
I'm now working on the front Torch/vent that is top of the helmet. This would be so much easier if I had a lathe but... I've tried to lathe on a pedestal drill and I've had some success.View attachment 146007 I discovered yesterday that the place I work has a vac forming machine. YES!! So I'm going to try and make it from vac formed plastic later today. All very exciting!

I'm still being pernicatty I'm afraid. I've been stressing over the front top of the helmet.View attachment 147532. I ended up vac forming some plastic and then sanding it down to give me a nice sharp circle. But as you may well know with vac forming, the sharp crisp details are on the inside! So I have sanded it again and it's not to bad.View attachment 147533
I'm trying to devise a way of vac forming it in reverse with the inner detail connected in. This would all be so much easier with a 3d printer. Thats the future folks. Then we're all out of a job. LOL

I've been busy vac forming this week. I have now vac formed the cone part at the top of the head.View attachment 148901. I've had to build it as a negative so when vac formed the detail is on the inside. I made it from a wooden plug that I turned on a drill and sanded it into the right shape. I would like to mount a torch in the front top.

Here is a vac formed black plastic top with the detailView attachment 148902. The vac forming is so clear that the fine mesh I put in the mould came out really well.

On the second take the mesh actually came out in the piece of plastic which looks quite cool.View attachment 148903

I used 1mm plastic and I was really impressed how much detail came through.

I've been putting it together and here is a shot of the breather.
View attachment 150428

What do you think of the front bit? It's not to the plan but it has a nice feel to it. Should I stick to the plan or take a bit of artistic licence?

View attachment 151293 I have started working on the ear pipes. The rest of the head is nearly done. I will start putting on the finer detail soon and paint it silver. There is never enough time in the day. I get lost working on this and then the day seems to be about two hours long.

Hi Y all,

I've been very busy at work recently and have been putting time in on the helmet when I can.
View attachment 154938

And once again I cheated and painted it silver. I'm glad i did though, it has showed up some marks I hadn't seen before so now I can deal with them. It's getting close, I'm trying out some textures to try and get a nice brushed finish. Any ideas?
View attachment 154939.

I will be moulding the ear pipe and making them in one piece which will eventually have a textured handle grip on. Oh, and I have to do the lights... forgot about that. Luckily I have a bag of blue LEDs from another job I was doing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back