Classic Cyberman Helmet

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Tildane, May 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I noticed I hadn't included a pic of the Cyberhead I'm actually making!!
    So here is the finished article. View attachment 267334 Check out the rest of the forum to see how it was done.

Many years ago, while board at work, I decided to make my own classic Cyberman Helmet. I would now like to share with you that build. Just like the film “Titanic”, you will know the outcome of this venture before you see what actually happened. Unlike “Titanic” this has a happy ending. View attachment 94729

This is the final article. I tried to make it the same way they make the new helmets by adding Aluminium powder. I think it needed more powder and came out looking like a slick speed boat with lots of specally bits.

I'm hoping, with this post, to instigate a conversation with fellow Cyber enythusiasts and finaly fulfill another dream I have, to make Cyberman blueprints.

(I am a member of the "Cyberman Builders Group" but after initially posting and asking for help with measurements I discovered they weren't really there to build but just buy off ebay)

So here goes.

Living in Australia at the time, Cyberheads were impossible to come by, so I did the next best thing. I printed a picture of a Cyberman helmet and got my measurements from there! How do I know they are right? I don't. I built it around a mould of my head so it was right for me.
    View attachment 94730
    I started with the ears muffs. I measured the print out and came up with two measurements, the outer ear size and the inner ear size. I then transfered the shapes onto custom wood and filled the gap with plastercine. I thought I would be able to sculpt the ear lines in. I decided later to add them in after the ear had been cast. Once I had the shape I took a plaster cast, with lots of vaseline and made a fibre glass copy. Then lots of sanding later I had a simple earmuff. I drew the lines on in pencil and then very carefully cut the fibreglass with a hacksaw to create a indent along the pencil line. After that I used a thin file to file out the indents to the right size. I took another mould of the ear * in silicon this time and pulled out another ear *.
    View attachment 94732
    I attached them to the plastercine head and sculpted the rest of the face which I then roughly moulded in plaster (with lots of vaseline)and pulled a fibreglass positive.

As I've never posted here before, I'm going to submit this post to see how it looks and then continue. Please feel free to ask any questions along the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Dark Souls Jef likes this.
  2. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Cool, I'm not sure why the photos are so small, but meh!

Now where was I? Thats right, sitting at home with two ear muffs and one head. Suffice it to say, that inner head needed a lot of sanding and filling. For me, that was therapy, sitting and sanding, filling and sanding. Ah what bliss. View attachment 94734 View attachment 94733 View attachment 94735

So after all that sanding, I put the three pieces together with lots of glue and filler. Surprisingly it didn't take long to fill in the gaps and sand. View attachment 94736
    I marked the eyes and mouth on with texta and then cut them out. As you can see by the pink around the left eye I got it a bit wrong and had to fill and sand again.

It was around this time that a very nice fellow contacted me and offered some proper measurements from his own helmet in England. View attachment 94737

I can't remember his name but all cudos to him. View attachment 94738

So I had to then make a few adjustments to bring it into line. I couldn't find any ear pipes or bends for pipes that were smooth. I resorted to sculpting the bend and adding it exhisting straight pipe. I then took a silicon mould and hey presto I had ear pipes. I carefully cut the back off the head to create the opening so I could wear the thing. I glued in some bits of wood to create a lip for the back plate to sit on. I also

Once I was happy with the head I filled all the gaps with plasticine and took a silicon mould with the seem running along the top and sides of the head. Now I watched Star Wars and I'd seen the Revenge of the Sith Darth vader helmet mould on the dvd, so I carefully covered the head in the "Blue" moulding silicon and let it set before I made an exoskeleton for it out of fibreglass. It was agood mould. But... the mould walls kept caving in because the rubber was so thin! Doh!! So I then made a really thick rubber mould and my problems were solved.
    So here is the finished head done in the speckally silver powder. I only made one of these and painted all the other ones in silver paint.

View attachment 94739

I also used one of these cans to chop up and turn into an Earth Shock Helmet (Just like they did in real life for the show)

But thats another story....

3. Dredd1981

Dredd1981 New Member

Very nice, i've been on the looking for a "revenge" cyberman helmet for years. I occasionally see one on ebay but they go for up to £300!

4. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Here are the next lot of measurements for an Earth Shock helmet. I will try and get some photos of mine based on these measurements View attachment 94857 View attachment 94858 If anyone can add to these or confirm them I would be grateful.

SimonT likes this.
  5. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

A classic cyber pep file would be awesome.

6. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

There is one out there. I think it's for the invasion head.

7. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

Would love a link if anyone can dig one up. Only Cyberman pep I've seen is the new series one.

8. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I really like your cyberman head, you have done a great job.
    I have wanted an Invasion or Revenge style head for years but never had the money to get one when they have come available.

I am very impressed with some of the builds I have seen on the forums, I am not sure I have the skill, space or equipment to do it but it is inspirational.

As for plans, even if I wasn't going to build one I would still be very interested in having detailed plans and drawings for the various styles from collector and Doctor Who fan point of view.

9. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great. I don't like the new cybermen.

Sent from my Apple Newton

10. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Here is a head I'm working on at the moment. It's not strictly a classic Cyberman because it was never made or used in the show. But, my God it is beautiful. View attachment 94922

This is the design by Matthew Savage (I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!). Someone was going to have one built on the Cyberman Builders Group but I never heard anything of it. If it was built I'd love to see the finished product. I just fell in love with the design. View attachment 94920

I have no idea what the back should look like, ot the side for that matter so a bit of artistic licence will have to be used. View attachment 94921

I carved out a polysterene head and tried to stick the plasticene to that but it was too bouncy so I torched the head and made it into a crinkley scorched ploy head and then the plasticene stuck easily. I know, why didn't I use a plaster head or something? Well I'm relatively new to the UK and I don't have anyone who can mould my head. Have you ever tried moulding your own head? No really?? Has anyone ever tried to mould their own head? Is it even possible? Anyway... I had lots of poly blocks so I glued them together and carved them into a basic head. Not the best I know, but it is better than nothing.

11. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I like that a lot, it looks like an evolution of the Moonbase/Tomb type Cyberman.
    I look forward to seeing the finished product.

12. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I am going to try and draw up the blueprints myself. The won't be professional because I have no idea how to do it, but there it is. After searching on the net for some decent cybermen desktops I finally made some myself. And here they are. View attachment 95415

View attachment 95416

View attachment 95417

One day I hope to have all the different versions done. To do that I will have to build them!! I have had another look at my Earthshock helmet and realised there are a few discrepencies. So I am cutting it back and adding more filler. Photos soon.

13. b9er

b9er New Member

These are great !! I`m planning an Earthshock build this Winter . Looking forward to more of your posts !

14. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I have translated some of the measurements onto a new blueprint but as you can see I'm missing a few bits. I vector arted an image of a helmet i had so the scale may be out due to angle of helmet. Needs a lot more work but theres a start.Updated 24/05/12 View attachment 95701

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  15. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

Great start! Is the goal to make this into a .pdo? Because that would be awesome!

16. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Whats a pdo?

17. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

That's a pep file.:thumbsup

18. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

As you can see from the previous images of the orange clay head I have "sketched" out the shape. Now I can take a few measurements and start replacing bits with more appropriate pieces. View attachment 96413

I had an old aborted Cyberman that I never knew what to do with. It didn't have any ears because they were so badly caved in so I chopped it down and stuck the face on.
    View attachment 96412
    I've been busy on the piping at the top side of the head too. I took some measurements from my clay sketch and transferred them to the computer thereby allowing me to transcribe them using flash cs4 into smooth lines. I printed them off and then cut them out in 17mm MDF. That gives me the sharp smooth lines without being a brilliant sculptor. I bit of poly pipe at the top and hay presto it's well on it's way. This stage is purely for taking a rough mould so I can poor a fibreglass positive and then really go to work. View attachment 96414

19. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Slowly moving along with the process, but I have a question. Does anyone know how I can create the cross hatching on the ear pipes? I remember doing it to a metal nail punch at school many, many years ago. I think it was in a lathe??? I don't have a lathe BTW.

20. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

you can get texture hammers with pattern on, not sure how easy this would be though.
    Other than that I cannot remember the other methods from school metal working, sorry.

I look forward to seeing your progress though.

21. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Heres a new pic.
    View attachment 98378
    As you can see I have added and ear. I only need to do one side as the features can be duplicated. View attachment 98379
    I'm heading towards the back of the head now, but I have no designs for that so I will have to make it up! I'm trending to more smooth plates like the front but with a horizontal vent in it. I would also like to develope the top of head thingy (sorry for being too technical) at the back and give it some kind of exhaust, a bit like a jet. Any thoughts?

22. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I agree with your thoughts, a smooth panel would suit the design.
    The horizontal vent sounds ok, guess I'd need to see it to fully appreciate how it will look.
    As for vents, I'd be wary of making to look too gimmicky, maybe just the outlines for an access panel or something?

23. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I've been looking up cross hatching to find out how to make the pipe patterns but so far all I can find is drawing cross hatch. I'm trying to figure out how I can roll the pattern onto the pipe.??????????????

24. Loosewire

Loosewire Member

For a very low-tech way of doing the cross hatching I suppose you could cut strips of card or paper and superglue them to the pipe. It would be a lot easier than filing it into the pipe by hand but you would have double thickness wherever there was overlap, unless you cut everything to the correct length.

Or wrap them in a fine mesh. Maybe it would be possible to heat the mesh to a low temperature and melt the pattern into the tube, on a test piece fist of course.

25. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I was thinking about that too. I thought I could lightly glue the mesh to the pipe, coat it in something, like thick spray putty and then pull the mesh off leaving the pattern. I will start trying out these ideas. Thanks for the input.

26. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I found out how to make the pattern on the pipes!!! View attachment 99336 I have to use a knurling tool! It creates the pattern often seen on tool handles. Now all I have to do is find a knurling tool and the right size pipe!

27. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I have been working on my "Matthew Savage" design over the weekend. I cut out a wooden brow ring so I could get some sharp angles on it. I wish I had all the power tools I had at my other job, it made making the Cyberman helmets so much quicker.

I have also started to "adjust" my earth shock helmet. After measuring a print out for the helmet I discovered mine wasn't up to scratch. It's quite frightening hacking into something that looks complete and starting over. So far I have moved the eyes up a little and extended the forehead. I will post some pics asap.

This project has reinvigorated me again. I may get out my classic mould and pull out another for old times sake.

28. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Anyone know where to get the bends for the ear pipes. The obvious ones don't work, ie copper pipe bends, plastic pipe bends, as they have a lip that sits over the pipe. The Cybermen ear pipes have fittings that fit inside the pipe giving a smooth appearance. Last time I made one I rolled up some modelling clay and bent it into the right shape and then glued it into the pipe, filled and sanded. I will do it again but just wondered if I was missing something off the shelf?

29. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

View attachment 100254 New head band. Made of custom wood. Now I have to glue all the other stuff back on and build it up again. One step backward, two steps forward.

View attachment 100250 And here is my revamped Earth shock helmet. The forehead was too low which made the eyes to low too. The blue you see is the original undercoat and the pink is the new body putty. Still a lot of work to do on the chin and neck. View attachment 100253

View attachment 100251 My Cyber Leader with the Earthshock helmet. Earthshock is built over the earlier one. View attachment 100251

I had to cut the thing in half to make it a bit wider and completely remodel the back of the head. I love these classic designs more than the latest. I think it's because the ear phones and pipes made them a unique design.

30. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Finally got the main part of the head in the plaster suicide mould. I hope to have it out today. Will post some pics. Top of the head is coming along too. I've puttied it and am now refining.

31. NormanF

32. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Here is a pic of the suicide mould View attachment 105409 The clay head is covered in plaster. Ideally the mould shoud come apart, but in this case my mould release didn't work. Luckily the head is disposable so out it comes leaving a sealed mould of the head. Once all the plasticene was out I coated the plaster mould with aquadhere or PVC sealant. I makes a good barrier between the porus plaster and the fibre glass resin. A trick I learnt from some theatre prop makers is to make up a mix of resin and talcome powder. When mixed it looks like mud and becomes my gelcoat. The more talc you add the firmer it gets so you can make it into putty for badges etc. Paint it on with a brush, making sure you get it into all the edges. Then coat the whole thing again with fresh resin and fibre matting. Once the fibre glass is set, you smash the mould. View attachment 105410 And there it is. Now is the theraputic sanding and filling, sanding and filling, sanding and filling. Ahh the bliss...

33. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

I have an Earthshock Helmet and these at least for me were not very accurate

34. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Is it an original Helmet? And if so, share the measurements!

35. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

You know when you start making something and then you get a bit too excited and want to finish it even though it's not ready? Well Voila- View attachment 106129 I've been filling and sanding for a while now and I just couldn't wait. It's still got a long way to go but...I thought I'd try out some techniques to get the steel paint job right. View attachment 106128 I hope to cast these with a metal filler added to the resin like the new series Cybermen. Anyone have any idea what the ratio of metal powder to resin is?

36. NormanF

Yes, that is when I do something stupid and end up making more work for myself.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

37. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I know what you mean. But I find the thing that holds me back is the fear of the next step. When I get to the stage of the next major improvement I do everything to not take the step. Thats why I had to stop and paint the head. When I finally bite the bullet and get on with it, it's not that bad. I suppose I'm terrified of my abuilities (or lack there of). When I get to the end and look back I'm not quite sure how I did it. It's like someone elses work and I look and marvel. I'm about half way through now. It's so hard with out tools. Having a Lathe to make the air filters would be so much easier. And having a bench grinder would speed me up to. But I can dream... Back to hand sanding and searching for the right size bottle cap!

38. Loosewire

Loosewire Member

Tildane that is looking absolutely fantastic!!
    I just want to caress it's slender neck.....anyway. How did you get your metal effect?

This thread is staying permenantly open in this tab in anticipation of your next update, I totally understand what you mean about being afraid of the next step and making mistakes but if you keep thinking that way then you just end up like me with over 40 unfinished projects because I put everything off. :)

Great work and good luck!

39. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

HI Loosewire, I'm sorry to say that metal effect is just silver spraypaint. I think it looks more like metal becase the sanding for the helmet wasn't perfect when I painted it and you can see some of the texture of the sanding. I was planning on adding metal powder to the resin when I cast it so I can shine it up properly. But... I also was thinking about rubbing down the spraypaint with steel wool to see if I can achieve a similar effect. I am open to suggestions. I think the finishing is just as important as the sculpting. I will probably have to do some airbrushing too to add those finer details???

40. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I've been busy on some of the smaller things. View attachment 107682 This is the breathing filters on the side of his face (This would have been so easy with a lathe). I used some hexagonal screws from an old video projector.

I've also been working on the rings at the top of the head View attachment 107684 I tried making the the rings even and equal but they were too short. I chopped them in half and extended them in the middle but changed the distance between the larger rings to give them the familiar curve. View attachment 107683

And then.... I chopped the whole head apart into smaller pieces so I could make it wearable.

Here's a question for you all. Should I make the helmet wearable or just a show piece? Most of the photos I've seen of helmets are in display cabinets.

41. Loosewire

Loosewire Member

Being latheless how it you manage to make the filters look so good?
    The rings definitely look better being wider but honestly I prefer the peaks of each ring with a slightly steeper gradient.

It would look great as a display piece but having it as a wearable helmet would be epic.

42. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

School holidays and all I've finally managed to find some time. View attachment 110097 I have cut the back of the head off so it is wearable. I've qalso added some of the face detail. At least now I can work on it in pieces and really concentrate on the bit I am working on. View attachment 110100 One problem I have now encountered. Now that the back is separated from the front the front has sprung open slightly. View attachment 110099 This means I will have to work on some way of connecting the two halves together to hold the seams in place. I thought because it was moulded as one piece it wouldn't be under any tention, but I was wrong. Anyone else have this problem?

43. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

After building the top of the head, I have several options. Do I make it like the old style cybermen? Or do I take artistic licence? My problem is that to make it old style the concentric rings have to be the same size and therefore looking from the top it is quite tight. If I extend the rings a little so the lines actually curve around the head when looking from the top it looks like it would fit better. I will organise some pictures...

44. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

Personally I'd say go artistic license, this is your version and now you can truly make it your own.

I did the same thing with my TARDIS....

just my opinion

45. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

I'm still plodding away with this helmet but I'm being a bit pedantic when it comes to the finish. I hope to update soon. I have been approached by several people about selling these once I've finished, but whats the rules when it's not my design? I know that everybody is copying and selling other peoples characters but they are the big budget, lots of money films. This design is by an artist and has never been used commercially. He could be a fellow theperf member... What should I do?

46. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The original helmets used tubing and corner pieces from this company

Home page

47. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Fantastic!! I've been looking for these for ages! Thankyou very much!

48. Cap Fitzgerald

Cap Fitzgerald Active Member

This thread is impressive, most impressive.
    And if I could pitch in on the wearable vs display decision, I'd say that you should make it wearable, IF and only if you can make a body suit to match. If not it'll be an amazing show piece

49. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Hi all, I've finally started moving again. I've started a new job at a University in their 3dd building dept in charge of lots of wonderful power tools. My last job was a nightmare and I ended up on antidepressants, but the sun shines again!! I have had some details laser cut so I can get that crisp sharp look. I have also had a revamp of the top part of the head. I will supply photos, it's just that as a new job I am testing the water when it comes to making things in the workshop. So far the water seems warm.

50. Tildane

Tildane Active Member

Here are the laser cut bits View attachment 144533 It looks fantastic and I think I will keep it as a seperate attachment. This is an ear vent that goes at the side of the head.

View attachment 144534 Here is the plate that sits in the front of the head. I had to guess what the markings were so I have made some different types. Is there such a thing as cyberman writing? Again I think I will make these seperate and keep it clear, but how the hell can I glue it on without the glue showing? Any suggestions?