Clarkson fired, Top Gear taken off schedules

Re: Clarkson suspended, Top Gear taken off schedules

Top Gear was originally a short lived motoring program that did fail, and it was Jeremy Clarkson that saved it.

Maybe the folks at the BBC think the franchise is too popular to hinge on its presenters rather than its content and style (Top Gear has programs in other countries with other hosts) or maybe they think that Hammond and May will cave and continue doing the show when faced with the real threat of termination. Who knows? I doubt Top Gear UK will survive this.
Most likely they think they cannot have employees having physical fights. He hit someone who then went to the hospital. I'm surprised he wasn't fired weeks ago.

Most likely they think they cannot have employees having physical fights. He hit someone who then went to the hospital. I'm surprised he wasn't fired weeks ago.

People have fights. Clarkson was doing his job, the producer wasen't doing his. I couldn't care less if he got a bit scuffed, but brownie points to the BBC.

Top Gear is arguably the last stand for "bloke" programme culture on the BBC at the moment and thats currently being hounded into extinction. It’s a shame he’s gone over such an incident, but that’s what its like living these days in a 24 hour a day “Big Brother” society where everything is over reported, hyper exaggerated, and often lied about, just to give the texting masses something debatable.
When Top Gear was just all about the "cars" ,it was , to be honest ,perfectly dull. It was made for a rather smaller number of viewers for whom the internal combustion engine was a small fire breathing miracle of engineering and not much else mattered except the horse power and the mpg . It was very unadventurous, dare I say a bit “pedestrian” and with numerous earnest factual reviews that sent me to sleep quicker than a cup of cocoa. Not many supercars, just estates.
What the Team Clarkson did was to retain a very small element of that but instead hugely broaden its overall appeal by having daft but inventive driving challenges, shooting brilliant cinematic footage of stunning cars against beautiful global backdrops (along with great film soundtracks), and ,most importantly ,by having three middle aged presenters whose differing matey personalities helped make a program that was often witty, very entertaining and as friendly and appealing as a pair of well worn boots.
I suspect May will go too, but possibly Hammond will stay if asked. He’s got a young family and castle to pay for. I’m going to miss Top Gear as it was and Jeremy, despite him being a bit of an idiot. I hope they manage to keep it going in a similar style and format going forward, rather than dragging it off to the scrap yard.

Having listend to what had happened ,the BBC really couldn't do anything else with JC. He's a big fella and lamping and ranting at the little guy who is utterly blameless in this was beyond stupid, given everything else over the last few year having happened. Its employment law and the law is the law. He broke it.

Last edited:

People have fights. Clarkson was doing his job, the producer wasen't doing his. I couldn't care less if he got a bit scuffed, but brownie points to the BBC.

The producer may have the duty to feed the crew, but he doesn't have to suck up to specific demands to the point that if he fails, being beaten is an acceptable response.

Is it grounds for dismissal? Absolutely. No question about it. Even if the producer did it purposely because he hates him and made a big scene over it to call attention to him screwing over the guy - it's no excuse to beat him. It's a clear excuse to get his ass fired though.

They had to know that making this decision could cost them the entire cast and possibly the show - so kudos to them for having the balls to do it. But trying to excuse the behavior in any way is disingenuous as best and pathetic at worst.

The producer may have the duty to feed the crew, but he doesn't have to suck up to specific demands to the point that if he fails, being beaten is an acceptable response.

He got a split lip from a 54-year old man and went to a hospital for it. It was deliberately played up to get him fired.

He shouldn't have struck him, punching a staff member is not acceptable, but I don't agree with the way this whole debacled was handled.

Sorry if I don't cry because a man who made more this year than I will make in the rest of my life had a rough day, verbally abused someone, hit that someone, and got fired for it. Is Top Gear ruined? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

As for the show itself, I usually fast forward through the car reviews. The cars are always some combination of too expensive, not sold in my country, and stupid. I only really watch for the competitions, ridiculous builds, and the star in a reasonably priced car.

Then you, sir, are definitely not a Top Gear "fan" and are atypical of the people who tune in every week to watch one of the most entertaining TV shows ever made. It's a car show and most people who watch it want to see the ridiculously expensive supercars that they feature on a regular basis. For you to call the car reviews "stupid" just shows that you are clearly not the target audience for a program like this. As for your statement of whether or not Top Gear is ruined, it most certainly IS as the show depended on the chemistry of Clarkson, Hammond and May. With Clarkson gone, the show as we knew it and loved it for 22 seasons is officially over.

It's a damn shame the BBC has chosen to go this route and I suspect they'll regret the decision to kill off their top cash cow when the numbers come in next year without Top Gear on their schedule. I really hope that the 3 guys team up to do another show somewhere else because I hate to think this season was the last time we'll ever see them together.

They just said on the news that Clarkson will be replaced and Top Gear will carry on.

They just said on the news that Clarkson will be replaced and Top Gear will carry on.

I'm sure they think it will carry on, but it will be a shadow of it's former self and they'll be lucky to get 1/10th of their regular 350 million viewers. I sure as hell won't be watching!

On a much lesser scale look what happened with Fashion Police. Joan Rivers was that show and when she died they thought it could go on with another host, but it turned out to be a complete disaster.

I LOVE Top Gear, all of the hosts are fantastic. Yes I am sad to see Clarkson gone but I am also a (semi) responsible ADULT and I know right from wrong. If Clarkson acted like a professional instead of a spoiled 12 year old with infinite money then, and only then, would I have sympathy for him. Unfortunately he has been poking the bear for YEARS making comments, pulling stunts and other crap that likely would have had him fired from any NORMAL job years ago. I don't have sympathy for him, he made his bed now he has to lie in it. That being said I have NO DOUBT in my mind he will be somewhere else within the year making more millions with a place that will tolerate his bullscat.

The problem I have with it is that if any one of us pulled anything like he did we would be arrested and looking for a new job within minutes but because he is a rich celebrity he gets away with all kinds of crap. I call shenanigans on that.

James May reacts to Jeremy's sacking by the BBC.

[video]https://youtu.be/N6cfFnBNELs[/video]

Then you, sir, are definitely not a Top Gear "fan" and are atypical of the people who tune in every week to watch one of the most entertaining TV shows ever made.
Actually I would argue that I am a fan. I have been watching since I got BBC America and the only episodes I have missed are when my TiVo acted up. And I did not say the reviews were stupid, even though a few of them were, but rather the cars themselves. Real fans of the show will stick around to see how the new host or hosts work out and the Jeremy fans will just stop watching.

I'll follow Jezza wherever he lands. I hope the three lads will land together in the same venue.

He should team up with Perry McCarthy on a show.

Thee BBC didn't just shoot them selves in the foot the blew bloody the thing off, the other hosts will quit and go to a cable channel and make buckets of money for their new employers and them selves . The politically correct BBC just lost 50 million pounds a year revenue.

Thee BBC didn't just shoot them selves in the foot the blew bloody the thing off, the other hosts will quit and go to a cable channel and make buckets of money for their new employers and them selves . The politically correct BBC just lost 50 million pounds a year revenue.
How can they lose revenue when they are funded by the TV licence? They may lose viewers but the money come rolling regardless. It's the law. But don't get me started on that one.

How can they lose revenue when they are funded by the TV licence? They may lose viewers but the money come rolling regardless. It's the law. But don't get me started on that one.

They licence Top Gear to other markets with expectation of minimums ratings share. They don't meet those expectation, they owe money back. Plus the markets they license it to may now have no interest in renewing that license.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back