China Lake 40mm Pump-Action Grenade Launcher

renegadecow

Your standard issue big gun, well, not really. While the China Lake launcher has been around since the Vietnam war, it's kept a relatively low profile until recently when video games started featuring it. I'm making an airsoft replica of said gun chambering 40mm moscart grenades that use compressed gas as a propellant. Will be made mostly of PVC (the blue stuff), hardwood and a few metal bits where needed. There are literally NO pictures of the real weapon's internals online but I had an inclination that it works similarly to your ol' grandpas shotgun. So I done worked up the schematic scaled from half a dozen photos and two videos but changed the firing mechanism from a hammer-fired one to a push button type so the fuzz don't come knocking at my door claiming my replica is capable of discharging 40mm HE rounds. As if I even have the cash to spend for even one of those (they're about $800 A POP!). This is a work in progress and expect it to be slow moving because it's a personal one as well. Though I will be making sure to take some time off every week to work on it so updates will be regular.
IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

If you're gonna make this so that it actually fires the moscart shell, ejects and rechambers then I can't wait to follow the development of this thread.
I have a pretty nice airsoft M79 that I have upgraded and redressed with some genuine parts and I have to say, it's a lot of fun.
Good luck with this build, looks very cool!

One of my favorite grenade launchers after the M79 of course :) That seems like a real challenge making the rounds cycle though. Good luck!

There are a few photos in here,

Flickr: Rich AM's Photostream

It's from a war museum in Vietnam! How did one get over there hmm

If any RPF members are in Vietnam or neighboring countries maybe we could get a few photos, measurements from em!

Thanks! I've actually been there when I visited my sister who lives in Vietnam. It's behind glass so you can only really take a close look at that side. The one in Ho Chi Minh was donated by the USA I believe as none of the China Lake Launchers were ever captured during the war unlike many of the other weapons displayed. Only 4 of the original 50 units made are left complete, the one in VN is one of them.

And to update the thread:
IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

The internal workings really was hard to figure out. I had to redesign the way it fired, omitting the use of a hammer so it couldn't be used to detonate a real round.

awesome! Anyone recognize that buttstock? It's NOT a M79 stock. Or the pump grip? Maybe items we can just buy instead of fabricate.

awesome! Anyone recognize that buttstock? It's NOT a M79 stock. Or the pump grip? Maybe items we can just buy instead of fabricate.
Both are specific to the China Lake. You can maybe do a number from a shotgun stock and an M203 handguard, but won't be as close as making them.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back