China finally got to see “Star Wars” on the big screen, 40 years after its release

Re: China finally got to see “Star Wars” on the big screen, 40 years after its releas

Don't let them see the prequels or they'll think we're insulting them and will attack us.

Re: China finally got to see “Star Wars” on the big screen, 40 years after its releas

I'm not surprised they were underwhelmed.
My nephew's not impressed, either (but he loves the prequels - WTH??)
I guess you had to be there.

Part of the impact of Star Wars was how ground breaking it was....40 years ago.

Seeing it compared to a lot of movies today I can see why the casual film fan might not be impressed

I'm sure if I had not seen the first movie in theaters when I was a young impressionable kid compared to what else was around at the time , I might not have been as fanatical

Jokes don't translate.
Special Edition FX.
plus they've already seen bootlegs no doubt.
not surprised.

When I was in China Revenge of the Sith was on TV and it was dubbed in Chinese but had english subtitles and the subtitles got it all wrong and every other word was the "F Word"!

Anakin would say stuff like "I am going to "*****ing Kill you!" and the sort... it was hilarious!

My daughter saw the SE 1st (at about 3 yrs old), she finally got to see the OOT when she was 10 and the SE discs have been dust collectors for almost 3 years now. This is the same kid that walked out on Avengers, but a few weeks ago re-watched Superman II (Donnor cut) and loved it despite the lack of quality effects. Not every body is distracted with "bright & shiny", story telling still counts. ;)

Storytelling counts, yeah, but so does a sense of film history. I tend to think that, without exposure at a young age to a wide variety of different eras of films, people will only credit whatever is the most current style as being "good" (or whatever was current in their youth, and thereafter). I'm really glad my folks exposed me to a wide range of films as a kid -- B&W film noir and comedy, 1930s and 1940s big musicals, animation from various eras. They also tolerated my affection for 1970s and 1980s scifi and action, no matter how bad it was. (Though my mom would frequently complain that we "never saw movies about people.") They showed me classics from multiple eras, and as a result, today I can appreciate a much wider range of films than a lot of my contemporaries, if only because I'm not put off by less frenetic camera work, slower plot development, and older f/x. Instead, I take all of that in context and can appreciate it for what it is.

If the Chinese who saw the movie were underwhelmed...I'm really not that surprised. While I think Star Wars holds up today, its style is definitely not the current mold of blockbuster. Color timing is different, camera angles are different, editing is different, etc. As a result, movies feel different now, and if what you're most familiar with and/or most enjoy is the modern style, then yeah, the old stuff may be kind of ho-hum.

My daughter saw the SE 1st (at about 3 yrs old), she finally got to see the OOT when she was 10 and the SE discs have been dust collectors for almost 3 years now. This is the same kid that walked out on Avengers, but a few weeks ago re-watched Superman II (Donnor cut) and loved it despite the lack of quality effects. Not every body is distracted with "bright & shiny", story telling still counts. ;)
We need more kids like your daughter. That said i know a 16 year old with a passion for 1950s b movies lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back