Celestino's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry: Captain America

Celestino

Whats going on everyone, This is my first thread, my first involvement with any forum, and my first costume build. Okay so enough of the noob prep. I'm six feet 220lbs black hair hazel eyes... Close but no cigar:/

Items:
Steel Saucer idea (thanks to Valor)
sheet of Aluminum (for the star)
Thicker peice of aluminum for rear brakets
Leather Bealts
Timberland boots (spray Painted red)
Leather biker jacket
Car Paint
Bondo, Plastic cap face mask toys r us lol, Resin, Fiberglass for the helmet. (I was high for hours) :-\
dark blue Jump suit
Plastic air mattress (leather) lol

Still have more Pics of progress to take. But this is what I have now. Some of my Progress for the helmet in on youtube.

PT1 How to Make A Captain America Mask / Helmet for under 30$ - YouTube

Pt2 Captain America helmet/mask for under 30 dollars - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I went to my local military thrift store and picked up a old school helmet sprayed it blue and etched the "A" on it. Also picked up a leather holster sprayed it black, a brown leather ammunition belt.

That completed shield in the pic I'm using it as a reference for my saucer shield I'm building. The Thor hammer was home made as well. "wasn't Cap the only one to actually lift Thor's hammer because was worthy?" from wht I can remember he was... Anyways...

The saucer (steel) Aluminum effect was spun by drilling a small hole in the center and spinning a stick and a 3m scourge pad around and around till you get the desired effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

More Progress of the Shield... The hardest thing of the whole shield was cutting that frigging lip. I kept saying to myself, ehhh just leave it. Then that part of me thats like "doit right or not at all kicked in" few people walking in were like...Just leave it. Then my boy was like I got a jigg, I said well then....Lets GO! lol Also stripping that paint was tough. As I was going I was finding it easier to do but initially it was a mess:/
The Shield Right now the shield is in a Collision center getting painted. Hopefully it comes out good. Time will tell...

Re: RPF Costume Contest 2012 "Captain America"

What did you use to cut the saucer? I had a hell of a time with a jigsaw/hacksaw/tin snips. I also used a satellite dish for my shield. But the steel wool is brilliant! Great work.

I would like to know how this was cut as well. This is the only part of this keeping me from attempting to make my own shield.

Progress looks great so far.

Best,
DBCooper

Thanks for the positive feed back. As far as cutting the shield, A Jigsaw was used, then the sharp edges were grinned down, special metal cutting blades were used for the jigsaw and at least two people. So it can be held down while the other person follows the pre traced lines. I used the four holes in the saucer to guide it (handles), find dead center drill a small draw the circle. I went to the Body shop today to mask what needed to be masked.

The Star took way longer than expected, Sure it was done in less than a day but the amount of grinding and scoring and measuring was insane. My grip now is that of a toddler.

Ok here is what I did, I thank God for this great forum. I measured out a start by going with the circumference of the blue circle of my shield on paper. Then out cut out the paper template and placed it on the 12x12" sheet of aluminum, roughly a 9" star with some room to grind when I match it up later today. I kept scoring it with a blade and wiggled the pieces off, WARNING: points are really sharp and DO NOT use shears, I started to use them and it was warping the star :( it seemed easier but the desired effect was compromised. I used a sharp point to make the grooves and lines.

Special Thanks to Valor for the Template.

That star looks great. Keep going. I cannot wait to see this completed. I didn't get to watch your video yet, but did you make the jacket?

Thanks fellas, I just came from the body shop today to drop off the star, they were more excited than I was. I pretty much eyed the whole thing because I'm horrible when it comes to math in geometry. The Jacket was made specifically for me from someone who works with leather. Kinda one of the rare favors you ask someone and don't dare to ask them for anything else Until they ask a favor from you, type of deal..., lol. I was going to work on the pants but cant find the hot glue gun....ugh. More delays but I'm ahead of schedule. Heres a couple more shots of the Black leather holster and belt, Gloves, Helmet and Mask.

Thanks SteamShovel....You The MAN!. I really Enjoyed watching your Cap build!! Thanks for the motivation! Well here's another quick update of the Shield and boots. Like I said I was just taking a pair of TImbs Spraying em red, then Getting some red Material and making the appear higher.

:D

Shield has been earned, sweat, blood, tears & $$$. Pants, boots, shield all finished. Tomorrow brackets and leather.. Ugh... I will try and add up the total cost of this project.
Wife has no idea...:/ planning to get her something nice...

Total Cost of just the Shield
Saucer 30$
steel Bracket 10 bucks (scrap yard)
Handle (free Laying around)
Buckles 98cent x 2
Tape for masking 8 bucks
JB weld 8 bucks
Stripper 8 bucks
Mineral spirits (paint thinner) 5bucks

Little over 70 Bucks :\ ehhh not bad

Thanks Beard, this wednesday I make a debut at an elementary school telling kids NOT to do drugs. Pictures of the whole getup will be taken then and again Oct 31st. Paint was done professionally, but I did all the masking. Shawn just sprayed it with the colors I wanted. I got it done for free ;). But he said it would be like a 70 dollar job if it came pre masked.

Shield has been earned, sweat, blood, tears & $$$. Pants, boots, shield all finished. Tomorrow brackets and leather.. Ugh... I will try and add up the total cost of this project.
Wife has no idea...:/ planning to get her something nice...

Epic. Amazing shield man. Very impressed. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back