Cave Johnson Combustible Lemon

spacebat

Combustible Lemon Project

First probably should give a little background about myself, I’m a programmer and web developer mostly back end server side design and android app development. This is my first attempt at prop design the closest I’ve come to any form of prop design is a few arduino projects, a radio controlled submersible using PVC and my parents upholstery shop… making upholstery.

I would like to thank Jen from EPBOT.com for the Cave Johnson Combustible Lemon tutorial. I borrowed quite a few ideas from her design. I would also like to thank Sanityattack for posting his design as I also used this as reference.

My goal is to not only make a prop but a functional design that plays the cave johnson combustible lemon rant as it is one of my favorite clips from Portal. I first used an Arduino Push-button recorder from radioshack that I had programmed and recorded but I recently found another push-button recorder that is much more hobby friendly as I would like to create a youtube tutorial. The project isn’t finished, I still need to glue, dremel, sand and paint. I saved these steps for last. As a programmer, functionality is far more important to me (meaning I saved the hard stuff for last) :p

Material:

Lemon: Purchased From Wal-mart $1.99
Toy Grenade: Military Toy Grenade purchased off Amazon. $2.99
Push Button Sound Recorder: Originally: Arduino Push Button recorder (requires programming) $11.99
Alternative: Push Button Module by: Invite By Voice. (No programming uses USB) $6.99
Xacto knife: Craft Store $6.99
Stenciling Pen: Black Identi Pen $3.99
Stenciling Paper: Staples $2.99
philips head screwdriver: $1.99

View attachment 225839View attachment 225832View attachment 225835View attachment 225834View attachment 225836View attachment 225841

Below I have a video of the Cave Johnson Combustible Lemon Rant. The sound is activated by push button, I simply sanded the handle down so when pressed it triggers the push button.

This was made with the arduino board, I've recently been using the Push Button module from Invite by voice as it's cheaper and easier to use:

Disclaimer: This is an unfinished product as stated above. I still need to paint, sand, dremel and glue. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm still relatively new to this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this is great. Especially considering it your first foray into propmaking.

As a programmer, you've got a problem-solving brain. I look forward to seeing what you apply it to next.

Updated: 28/9/2013 7:27pm

Cave Johnson Combustible Lemon, Prototype 1.5v

I am calling this 1.5v because while the Combustible lemon is fully hot glued, spray painted and functional I don't consider any of my projects as finished. There is always room for improvement!

Here are new photos of the weathered top half. The combustible sticker near the handle is card-stock and scotch-tape used as laminate cause I be cheap! While the project was fairly simplistic this was my first time using a dremel for purposes of sanding. I pride myself on being an engineer and it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to insert the dremel sanding filament... :lol

View attachment 237197View attachment 237198View attachment 237199View attachment 237200View attachment 237201

Below is the Cave Johnson Combustible Lemon in action, Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Man i remember when those grenade toys were a 1.00 at Dollar General and then .50 on clearance, i wish i'd gotten them.

Very cool. Man i remember when those grenade toys were a 1.00 at Dollar General and then .50 on clearance, i wish i'd gotten them.

If I would have purchased 20 I could have paid $15.00 on ebay, but I didn't think I had any need for 20 toy grenades...

If you notice I did the entire presentation on EVA foam. Got 4 panels for $10. I'll be using these along with pvc pipes, blue LEDs and some plywood for the minigun i'll be making for my brothers Jawa costume. For now i'm still trying to gather makeup and material for my Halloween sandman costume. :p

Glad you liked!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back