Catwoman Cosplay Build - Batman Returns - Michelle Pfeiffer

AbiSueCosplay

Finished sewing up the boot covers. I decided not to cover the heel area since it's already black. I cut the pattern out of pleather then cut slightly larger pieces out of the stretch pvc that I am using for the suit. Then I folded over, pined and hand stitched around the outside of each piece. Then I overlapped the pieces and hand stitched them all together. I then attached a rubber sole that is sticky-backed to the bottom. I find square sheets of the stuff at harbor freight. For more stability I stitch around the edge of the sole as well. I also made the grommet holes by punching with a grommet puncher and then sewing around the edge as you would a button hole. I hate how grommets always fall out so this is how I do them now.Hi, I'm a bit new to these forums and I finally decided to post some of my cosplay progress to completion.

catwoman_2079440b.jpg

I always loved Michelle Pfeiffer's version of Catwoman, a little crazy, sewed her own costume, so I wanted to make it, and I didn't want to have to spend a lot of money. I gathered my reference photos, a lot of the good ones I found in these forums!

I decided I wanted shiny look without the expense of latex, so I bought Black 4-way stretch PVC fabric from a store on Ebay. I already had my pattern figured out, having done quite a few bodysuits before. I later realized that I hadn't accounted for the less amount of stretch that PVC has vs spandex, so I had to hid some fancy addition of fabric under the corset, but oh well, learned for next time. I also bought all the rest of the parts I needed. Spiral steel bones and canvas for the corset, felt for the cowl, thimbles in three different sizes and worbla for the claws. I already had a pair of heels that I would make boot covers for, time to begin!

I started with the boot covers, I really wanted boots that matched what she had in the movie and didn't want to pay $60+ for them. I wrapped my leg in plastic wrap while wearing the heels then wrapped that in duct tape. Then I used a sharpie to mark where I wanted the pattern to be and cut along those lines.

My boot pattern all flattened out:
20131002_214634.jpg

I decided not to cover the heel area since it's already black. I cut the pattern out of pleather then cut slightly larger pieces out of the stretch pvc that I am using for the suit. Then I folded over, pined and hand stitched around the outside of each piece. Then I overlapped the pieces and hand stitched them all together. I then attached a rubber sole that is sticky-backed to the bottom. I find square sheets of the stuff at harbor freight. For more stability I stitch around the edge of the sole as well. I also made the grommet holes by punching with a grommet puncher and then sewing around the edge as you would a button hole. I hate how grommets always fall out so this is how I do them now.
20131002_214838.jpg

I actually changed the fit of the top of the boot to have a more swooped look like her boots later on.
20131002_220024.jpg20131002_220102.jpg

Next I moved on to the cowl, I looked at the officially licensed one, but decided not to because I wanted to make everything myself :)

Pattern for the cowl. I pinned it on my own head so that it would fit properly:
20131004_192242.jpg

Pattern laid out to cut out of felt:
20131004_193757.jpg

Cowl pinned together:
20131004_195105.jpg

Felt cowl sewn up:
20131004_213113.jpg

Finished cowl with PVC sewn over the felt, I added the white stitches later. I kinda pieced the fabric together in the form the white stitches took:
20131007_074414.jpg

Using my previously created pattern I made my bodysuit, which as I said did not fit my torso, so I ended up piecing bits of PVC together and sewing a torso piece right inder where the corset goes. Corset was created by draping fabric around my duct tape dummy and pinning in place on the sides. I then sharpied where I wanted the bone channels to be and where I wanted it to fit under the bust and at the waist. I left a bit open in the back to add a lacing piece. This was the first corset I had ever made, not really the best out there, but I love how it ended up looking so much like the one in the movie.

I cut out the pieces three times over, first out of canvas, then out of the PVC, finally out of the lining material. I sewed the canvas and PVC pieces together using a zigzag stitch, then sewed the pieces together to create the corset. I cut the spiral steel in the right lengths and created channels using my seam lines to put them in. I followed what the movie corset seemed to look like.
20131007_074247.jpg

I added the lining and the lacing panel, then sewed on strips of PVC to finish the edges:
20131008_072441.jpg20131008_072452.jpg
20131008_072415.jpg

I always sew my own gloves, one reason is because they will match all the rest of the costume, the other is gloves are always too small for my big hands. I have a pattern that I made for gloves, they are a pain, but fairly easy since I've done so many.
20131007_074308.jpg

Completed cowl with white yarn stitching following reference pictures for placement of stitches. I also put a strip of wire in the nose area so it would fit on my face better and there is a chin strap to keep it all in place:
20131008_215632.jpg

Stitched white yarn on the bodysuit and corset using reference pics, that was a bit hard to find all sides to figure out where to put the stitches, but I did my best:
20131010_222256.jpg

I decided on worbla the thermoplastic for the claws, less chance of getting kicked out of a con, or accidentally scratching someone! This was my first time using worbla, but I ended up liking it a lot and have used it in other projects. I cut the claws, heat formed them, then sealed with Mod Podge. I had my husband drill holes in all the thimbles so I could sew them onto the tips of the gloves. I glued the claws on, wrapped them in wire, then spray painted and sealed them. I later came back with black acrylic to weather them up.
20131010_223147.jpg20131011_215648.jpg

I attached the claws to the gloves using heavy duty sewing thread like they did for the movie. Less chance that I will lose one that way too.
20131011_215921.jpg20131011_215937.jpg
20131011_231430.jpg

I did my best to imitate Michelle's makeup and viola! Catwoman is here! I also bought a whip on Ebay to complete the look.
20131012_130742.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures aren't showing up? I don't understand, they are showing up on my end. I'm pretty new to forums :/

Edit: I just tried updating them, hopefully they are showing up now.

Last edited:
That's really cool. Where did you get your sewing pattern from?
I'm trying to teach myself to sew and have made a couple of things for my daughters. My youngest wants to go as cat woman this halloween and I know I could get her a cheap costume but I think it would be cool to make per a nice one from scratch if I can pull it off.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back