CATCH ALL Luke Skywalker costume showoff thread.

Bump. A reminder that anyone can post their costumes here.

I ended up buying an installed Graflex 2.5 saber off Korbanth's website. It was an impulse buy because Affirm offered me a payment plan on Korbanth's website. I originally planned on getting my empty 2.0 installed by LDM but imediate availability from Korbanth won!

My empty 2.0 is for sale!

I'll take that offer..

Okay finished Bespin Luke!

Jacket/pants by Anovos.
Belt/Holster by FFP on Etsy. Awesome quality and highly recommend.
Boots buy Magnoli... also awesome quality and highly recommend.

Blaster and lightsabre are MR. Looking to make blaster out of toy gun as the MR blaster is so heavy... but the holster has no problems with it.

20190514_093558.jpg
20190521_075124.jpg

Here’s mine..... I’m Old Luke

Attachments

• 88BE89E4-244C-468A-8CD8-FC96445F036F.jpeg
    88BE89E4-244C-468A-8CD8-FC96445F036F.jpeg
    954.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 6DB9D57A-0BB0-4938-BA93-A2F97A677318.jpeg
    6DB9D57A-0BB0-4938-BA93-A2F97A677318.jpeg
    832.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 7514F412-67C3-4CE1-9E6F-CFB6B39240CE.jpeg
    7514F412-67C3-4CE1-9E6F-CFB6B39240CE.jpeg
    836.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 851A49D8-06A5-4244-B9CA-CA9C214BE60D.jpeg
    851A49D8-06A5-4244-B9CA-CA9C214BE60D.jpeg
    725.5 KB · Views: 142
  • B5625F0B-62F8-43FD-8884-2EB92AF14D37.jpeg
    B5625F0B-62F8-43FD-8884-2EB92AF14D37.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 235
I'm trying to find a pair of black boots for Luke's ROTJ costume for a reasonable price. Anything around the $100 - 200 range?
I found some Russian officer leather boots from Etsy/Ebay but I am not sure about the quality/comfort. Personally, I don't mind a little bit of inaccuracy in exchange for comfort.

I'm trying to find a pair of black boots for Luke's ROTJ costume for a reasonable price. Anything around the $100 - 200 range?
I found some Russian officer leather boots from Etsy/Ebay but I am not sure about the quality/comfort. Personally, I don't mind a little bit of inaccuracy in exchange for comfort.

If accuracy is not a big deal you try a couple ideas that I did in the past.

If you shoe size will allow, you can look for women boot that matches key details. color, height, low heel. A women sizing is about 1.5 difference. So I wear a US size 8.5, therefore I looked for a size 10.0. The reason I suggest a women's boot is common and can be found cheaper.

Here I am wearing such a boot. These have a zipper on the inward side of the boot which allows for ease to wear and you don't really notice. Such an element helps with the snug calf appearance that you want in this boot for a Luke costume.

myrotjvest-jpg.jpg

The other thing you can do is check local and online Tack (horse riding) stores. They carry riding boots. As a cheaper alternative they also have rubber boots. I lucked upon a Petsmart or Petco a long time ago that cleanses a pair in my size for $5. They usually go for around $50-$75 at the time, Here they are...

unadjustednonraw_thumb_16b9-jpg.jpg

I’ll check them out! Thanks
Check out Hessan Antiques they make a replica pair of German officer boots which is what mark wore in the film I have a pair of them and they look pretty close I have all of his costume pieces from ROTJ screen accurate quality so I went with these boots you will need to probably take them to a shoe place and have the toe widened as they were too snug for me and look more accurate wider next for the shaft it’s a little wider then I should be so take 25% alcohol and 75% water spray the shaft while wearing the boots then apply as needed leather conditioner they will shrink and form for to your calf. Also the price of the boots is about $250 or so maybe more with shipping costs as they aren’t based in the US but they are the closest pair I could find that aren’t a $400 replica pair made to look exact. Definitely check them out they will not disappoint and look amazing.

Check out Hessan Antiques they make a replica pair of German officer boots which is what mark wore in the film I have a pair of them and they look pretty close I have all of his costume pieces from ROTJ screen accurate quality so I went with these boots you will need to probably take them to a shoe place and have the toe widened as they were too snug for me and look more accurate wider next for the shaft it’s a little wider then I should be so take 25% alcohol and 75% water spray the shaft while wearing the boots then apply as needed leather conditioner they will shrink and form for to your calf. Also the price of the boots is about $250 or so maybe more with shipping costs as they aren’t based in the US but they are the closest pair I could find that aren’t a $400 replica pair made to look exact. Definitely check them out they will not disappoint and look amazing.

Has anyone released an accurate brown hood/cloak pattern for the RoTJ setup?
Or have a recommendation for a base pattern (which I assume would wind up being modified)

Has anyone released an accurate brown hood/cloak pattern for the RoTJ setup?
Or have a recommendation for a base pattern (which I assume would wind up being modified)

Either of these would work, but you'd have to alter the size of the hood to make them just a bit larger so they drape on the shoulders more. You'd also have do without some stitches but those are things I think you can easily figure out.

Call up Psab keel for accurate fabrics.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, yeah I just knew that the seam placement was a bit funkier with a double seam on the shoulder backs and the fabric’s bias favoring the drape. (not a center back seam like some cloak patterns or full circle- (IE Batman cape))
I was hoping a pattern (or mod) might have been posted somewhere but… I guess not? Even with Rebel Legion cosplayers I’m kind of surprised there’s not a documentation.

Anyway. Psab keel can you remind us how many yards are appropriate for a cloak?
Also: when you made yours did you incorporate the double shoulder seam on the bias? Did you make a pattern from scratch or was one of these mentioned more helpful…

As far as my research indicates the screen used cloak was not cut on the bias. The purpose of a bias cut for clothing is to allow fabrics that don't normally stretch along the grain to suddenly have the ability to stretch due to being cut at a 45 degree angle to the warp and weft threads. The other benefit is that they tend to drape better on the body, but that's really only necessary for more form fit clothing, not something as wide and as flowing as a cape or cloak. One of the reasons the costume designers often choose wool for cloaks and robes is the fact that it has such a beautiful natural drape that it wouldn't require a bias cut, where with a cotton fabric, for example, you might opt for it in order to get a better drape.

The fabric used on the screen used cloaks had stretch and I know this because of the loose weave (as shown in the film with light passing through it very easily) and the fact that if you look at the costume in exhibition photos, the ones from MOM show the hem being at the ankles of the display. In later exhibitions the cloak is training behind the mannequin like a wedding dress, which it didn't do at all in the film. This is not due to a shorter mannequin being used. This is due to the fabric stretching out of shape because of the weight and loose weave. Gravity works against the material and the longer it's displayed vertically the more it will stretch out of shape. All of the cloaks I made from my accurate fabric had this same problem.

The other indicator of a bias cut is that over time the bottom hem of a garment will become wavy and not as bell shaped (in the instance of the hooded cloak) because as the fibers of the weave relax they will hang more unevenly and continue to stretch. In the film the hem is nice and curved, but looking at photos of it on display, had Mark worn it like that he would have tripped over the length due to the uneven hem- a result of the loose fabric weave. Also keep in mind that I saw the screen used costume in person with my own eyes in 2016 while on exhibit.

The other issue with bias cut is that it takes up much, much more fabric. Given that Mark Hamill and Colin Skeaping are about average height it's not like they needed to cut on the bias in order to get the width necessary if the bolt was too narrow. The cloaks were cut along the grain and the angle of where the two front halves meet the back are angled, but this isn't necessarily the same as a bias cut. Bias cuts wrap around the body tightly, draping close. As mentioned earlier this cloak also doesn't have a "spine" seam running up the center back the way Obi-Wan's robe and all the Prequel Era Jedi Robes do. There are two front panels, one back panel, and the hood has a front facing cut into the hem about 5 inches deep. This was also used for the Emperor's hood in ROTJ. All the hems are blind so they don't show. The inside of the cloak body seams are also French seams (like the Prequel Era Robes) to hide the raw edges of the material on the inside. Otherwise you'd see them serged and that's not the case. In the photo below (credit to Kay Dee's references) you can see the french seam/ flat felled seam.

luke5.jpg

As far as how much material is necessary that will depend mostly on your height but for my personal cloaks I use about 8 yards or so. I'm 6 ft. 2". Keep in mind that the side seams of the front halves that attach to the one piece back don't fall exactly at the sides of the body like you'd see the side seams on a pair of pants. They sit farther back on the shoulders as indicated in this screencap from the movie. This means the shoulder portion of the back is cut a bit narrower and the front panels are cut a bit wider on the shoulder portion. I custom made my pattern from scratch. You could certainly use those existing patterns linked above by PoopaPapaPalps and I think they would give you a good base to work off of but you're going to have to modify them.

CloakBack.jpg

If it helps at all the following is a link to my shop with all of the Luke related fabrics I could source. I have been able to source them for every cloth outfit he wears in the OT: Farmboy (with Pancho), Dagobah Shirt, Bespin, Jedi, X-Wing Flight Suit with Jacket, Endor pancho, Medical Fatigues, Sandstorm, Yavin Ceremony, Hoth. All high quality, high fashion fabrics.

The following images are of the cloak I made for Adam Savage and due to the width of the fabric I had to make it with the center seam up the back in order to get the drape wide enough. There was no way around it. At the time I made this I thought there were two versions of the hood. One with center seam (which is what I made for Adam) and the other without. It was later revealed (with better reference images) that there was one version which had a center seam.

AdamSavClk.jpg
AdamSavClk1.jpg
AdamSavClk2.jpg
AdamSavClk3.jpg

Here are some shots of the material up close:

32297177427_e53073d4d8_o.jpg
40274270553_c6856682f9_o.jpg
40274273333_ee9bd15753_o.jpg
46324737315_5551812b04_o.jpg
47187110642_89a1c0cb70_o.jpg

Last edited:
Happy to help! I know it was a long post, but I hope it goes a long way to explaining the why behind certain choices that were likely made by the costume department. Plus given my experiences with certain fabrics and my decades of sewing knowledge on these costumes, it seems to have lined up with the observations I've made of the real thing.

While this isn't an exact match, this is what I'll be using for my trooping cloak as the more accurate fabric I sold years ago stretches like crazy.

20230501_122835.jpg

This is the fabric I sell here: Dark Brown Heavy Wool Suiting | Thread Lair

I washed with HOT water and dried on High Heat in the dryer and this way the fabric will shrink, condensing the fibers so that the texture is even more prominent. The color is a nice contrasting brown to the black shirt and vest, but also not too light in color either. It mimics the nubby texture of the screen used fabric pretty well, though obviously not exact. The drape is incredible too!

It's a nice option for those searching for quality material. I hope it might be of help to you all.

I was actually looking at this swatch last night. I know you sold the last remnants of the correct fabric for the Luke RotJ cloak some time ago, and I'm now toying with doing his cloak (and maybe full outfit) myself.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back