Casting latex question using silicone mold?

Mardikrewe

Has anyone ever tried taking a sculpt, molding it in silicone and using latex as a casting product?

I ask this as I have had mixed concerns over doing this as the "latex" might, could or "would" slowly break down the silicone mold.

I know ultracal is the go to molding medium here because of its water wicking properties but ..... degregation of detail is quickly lost through multiple pulls. Tiny small detail areas tend to snap off and eventually ruin the mold.

My thought is .... even if the mold does not last but 10 or 12 pulls, all final product pulls would remain hi def.

Thoughts??

Long time no see bud, if you;re worried about plaster then do fibreglass or resin mold instead.
Silicone will work too but will take alot longer, personally dfound it doesnt have the same effect as plaster

Has anyone ever tried taking a sculpt, molding it in silicone and using latex as a casting product?

I ask this as I have had mixed concerns over doing this as the "latex" might, could or "would" slowly break down the silicone mold.

I know ultracal is the go to molding medium here because of its water wicking properties but ..... degregation of detail is quickly lost through multiple pulls. Tiny small detail areas tend to snap off and eventually ruin the mold.

My thought is .... even if the mold does not last but 10 or 12 pulls, all final product pulls would remain hi def.

Thoughts??

Hi Mardik,

Just wanted to share my thoughts..I'm a total noob, but from what I've learned so far these past few months I've been doing my project, I also think Ultracal is really bothersome to work with too. It is a God send, true, but, it is so damn heavy, and I've only pulled 2 latex masks so far but already I'm patching heaps of cracks and chips.. It is no surprise that more advanced casters/moulders would choose Silicone with a fibreglass/resin backing. Weighs almost nothing compared to ultracal, and Wreav could tell you (and just by looking at his plethora of resin casts) and attest that even after 10-12 pulls of resin busts, it will remain as hi-def as ever.

Personally, I've got a silicone mould for my dreads, I've pulled 42 currently, and though i'm just pulling Polyurethane foam out of it, I can tell you with all honesty, they're still as hi-def as when I made them.

Not 100% sure, but someone told me that Silicone and latex don't 'mix' well, and I would think that pouring latex as a casting product is not sucha good idea either. I've discovered that when I made my lasks, 'pooled' latex about 2-3mm thick takes ages and ages to dry. Baking it in an oven or using a blow dryer might hasten it a bit, but thick pools of latex is a pain to work with, not to mention the shrinking..ugh

Alphatech (Jeff Shimek, one of my idols! ;P) uses a red substance/mixture, which I would surmise is a form of Silicone on his sculpts to cast, then back it up with fibreglass. His last few posts about his topknot build, he used this same process for the head, and then he poured ecoflex(IIRC). Again, I don't remember if he did say what the red mixture was, but if it is silicone, he's actually pouring Silicone (Ecoflex is a platinum-catalyzed silicone) into a silicone mould. That's a lot of Silicone. :D

Just my 2 cents, again, just basing it off on my experiences.. Hope it helps somehow, cheers!

Last edited:
Jeff is using epoxy coat red as a mother mold on those pieces. I speak with him often on our builds. And using silicone is Not A good idea. It will not allow the latex to dry properly. And it weakens the silicone in the process. Yes ultra cal is heavy but when done properly you can get alot of pulls out of it. Sometimes complex molds will need to be make in several sections to keep from damaging the mold. I brush talc powder in the mold to help release the latex . Hope this helps

Not a good idea to cast latex in a silicone mold. The silicon mold is a very good idea but latex is a horrible casting material because of its propensity to shrink and degrade over time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back