Carbon-Freeze Vader Saber...an MPP. The Definitive ESB

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Oohyeah KL wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>ShadowKnight, you still looking for a King Sol? I've got a couple...
icon_razz.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Nope. I got it. But maybe not for long the way that this thread is going.
icon_lol.gif

If we see bubbles in the clamp, then where is the circuit board shot that convinced everybody that it was on there? I thought it was bubbles MPP and the board for the King Sol?

icon_lol.gif

Looks like we have different definitions for "button" and "plate"!
OK, what you removed from the flash is what I call the button plate with the button welded on.

I read your earlier post to mean that you removed the plate from the button and reattached the button, so that the plate won't be there and the shroud would be able to come further down to touch the screw.
icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif
I guess we must have misread. The plate comes off, the button would have to be drilled out.

I'm not trying to say that it isn't an MPP 100%. I just want to make sure that we are very certain before we start getting rid of these. After all, how long was this thought to be a King Sol?
icon_wink.gif

I don't want to get rid of mine for somebody to say "WAIT, check out this pic."
icon_wink.gif

I cannot deny that facts that you've posted though.

Don't mean to discredit Paul's findings, but the black and white picture below the carbon freeze picture is not the same picture as the one above it. Where did that picture come from? The saber is turned to a different angle, you can't even see the clamp bubbles/calc strip, in the B/W pic the saber appears to be hanging on a wire, and where is Vader's control box? The caption above the photo says that the photo above was just brightened, but it is not even the same photo. Show me the original version side by side with the B/W version and maybe I can see more, until then I am still leaning toward King Sol.

Edit:
I saw that the B/W picture came from the one on page 2 of this thread w/Boba Fett, IG88, etc., but who knows when and where that picture was taken. The one in the Color version is an actual screen shot, or production picture taken while on set, so I am still leaning toward that color photo version as being a King Sol. I think it is safe to say that yes, both an MPP and a King Sol were used. I have both versions, so I display both versions until there is more conclusive proof.

Well hell....I never really thought it was a king sol to begin with, but that aside, I have to argue that brass screw theory (I see no definition of a slot of any kind there, it looks more like a rivet head with a washer under it, or perhaps something similar to one of those Obi Wan transistors. Do we even know if there is a lever present at all?

As for the wires, look at the B&W pic VERY carefully, it does appear that it look like a black and white wire next to each other. However I again have to argue Paul's theory that they added this little bit of detail when they overhauled it.

Paul, you have to relax a bit there buddy
icon_wink.gif
You have a tendency to turn what you hypothesize into concrete fact in record time.
icon_razz.gif
Always keep in mind we once thought the earth was flat until IREFUTABLE evidence proved otherwise
icon_wink.gif

BTW - keep in mind that in B&W red photo graphs as black most of the time, so its quite possible if they are wires we are seeing a red and whit wire there.

I am almost 100% sure that is not a king sol. There are just too many landmarks there that are only found on an MPP. I'd wager money that if someone used a red and grey wire like was posted earlier and took a photo with poor lighting and light being shadowed from R to L, it would look identical to that photo. Now that that photo that looks like a hole between the ports has surfaced............I am even more sure it is an MPP. For all we know those wires were used to secure the guts or a blade for that matter..........it makes sense.
Dave

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>E.D.C. Studios wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Well hell....I never really thought it was a king sol to begin with, but that aside, I have to argue that brass screw theory (I see no definition of a slot of any kind there, it looks more like a rivet head with a washer under it, or perhaps something similar to one of those Obi Wan transistors. Do we even know if there is a lever present at all?

As for the wires, look at the B&W pic VERY carefully, it does appear that it look like a black and white wire next to each other. However I again have to argue Paul's theory that they added this little bit of detail when they overhauled it.

Paul, you have to relax a bit there buddy
icon_wink.gif
You have a tendency to turn what you hypothesize into concrete fact in record time.
icon_razz.gif
Always keep in mind we once thought the earth was flat until IREFUTABLE evidence proved otherwise
icon_wink.gif

BTW - keep in mind that in B&W red photo graphs as black most of the time, so its quite possible if they are wires we are seeing a red and whit wire there.</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

LOL
icon_lol.gif
! Yeah, ain't that the truth, that combined with me posting at 1AM when I've been up since 7AM only adds to my delierium!

OK, time to take a DEEEEEEEP breath and review every thing.

Lets put aside arguments of what those things are and determine whether on not these sabers are all one and the same. If you look at the pics in my above post you can see the red bit in the "B" slot, now look at the Carbon freeze shot, the edge of the suposed button closes to Vaders capes apears to be red and is located right were the "B" port should be. You can also see some of the red wire in the Black and white photo (albeit looking gey for obvious reasons
icon_wink.gif
). The black and white wire (It thinkmyour right on that KL) does show up in all three pics though it is a little harder to make out the details on the CF pic, there is definietly something there and it's in the same place as the B&W wire in the other two pics. Another great little detail that caries through two of the photos, is the little spot where the MPP logo plate was atatched (it almost looks like they put a nail or pin in the hole since they show up as highlighted areas instead of dark spot like on the ANH saber), you can see it in both the CF pi and the B&W pic. I zoomed in on the PoSW pic to see if it was there on that pic and there is s slight light spot (just barely) where the hole would be, unfortunatly due to the resolution of that pic that detail is kinda lost in the pixlation. The Brass fiting in the clamp is visible in both the PoSW pic and the B&W pic and it apears to be there in the "Photopoint" pic posted in an earlier relpy. Last is the little screw under the shroud that holds the MPP's guts in. It's visible in the CF pic and the B&W pic, again due to the resolution of the PoSW pic the detail isn't visible, though there is a hint of an object there. With all the above matching pieces you get enough overlap to make a good argument that these are all the same saber. Granted some details are inconclusive in one pic or another but the way they match up would lead me to beieve they're all the same saber.

Detail-----PoSW--CF pic--B&W pic
------------------------------------------
"Red bit"---Yes----Yes-----Yes

B&W wire---Yes-----?------Yes

rivet hole---?-----Yes-----Yes

Brass bit---Yes-----?------Yes
in clamp

Screw under-?-----Yes-----Yes
shroud

Chip, I am starting to agree with you about the brass fiting in the clamp, there's no sign of a slot on the top in the B&W photo. Could it be a dead bolt of some kind? I'm also wondering if that's a washer under it or if the head is shaped like a Dough-boy helmet, basicaly flat with a dome in the middle, the reason I'm wondering is because the whole thing looks to be brass, not just the round part and there doesn't seem to be a defined line around the dome part. Granted it couls still be a screw, but I'm not sure any more. When they fixed the ANH they could have very easily used a screw but they didn't making me wonder if the threads might have been stripped. If you assume the ESB saber used the same Flash and that the threads were stripped they would have had to use something non-threading to atach the two sides. Hmmm.

Man looking at my above post I really gotta stop posting so late "King of the Vader ESB Saber"?
ohwell.gif
Oy.

~Paul
icon_smile.gif

If it adds any weight - King Sols could be found in the UK, more so than MPP's.

I made my King Sol up with bubbles because it seemed to me to have bubbles anyhow.

As for the shroud going right up to the screw - could it be a slightly wider shroud?

A view of the back end of the flash could solve it all...could it even be a type of flash as yet unidentified?
we need a vintage camera and flash expert in our ranks...preferably an English one, maybe?

>Pete

I'm doubting very seriously that anyone will ever see a pic of the endcap...........I don't think it made any screen time. I may be wrong, but it just won't be there. However, assuming it is an MPP, the black inset piece will show up pretty well.
Dave

Er, didn't I say this a while ago? SithLife323 posted a full body shot of Fett and Vader way up there early in the thread that looks like it would show the endcap. Does anybody have a larger copy of this picture?

For what it is worth.....

My King Sol does not have the verticle rectangle to the right of the black button.

It has two small holes instead.

One other point of interest......

The Luke ESB Lightsaber Luke has before he gets his hand cut off......the one without the tabs/ears on the top front has wires coming out of one of the side port also.

The Luke ANH Lightsaber also has wires coming out of it......look at the ANH storybook when he is with Ben and you can clearly see the wires coming out from his sleve.

Jim S.

Jim, tha'ts very interesting.

I am definitely convinced it's an MPP (at least NOT a King Sol), which is why I'm very readily selling mine
icon_cry.gif

I listed out all the reasons I saw in an earlier post, but in essence, there are just too many landmarks of an MPP on the CF shot, in particular:

- screw right below the shroud
- hole below the supposed 'button'/wires corresponding to the MPP nameplate rivet hole
- apparently rounded port hole edges

Again, it would make much sense that it's an MPP with an (obviously) MPP shroud and clamp, rather than transplanting all that onto a King Sol.
The markings on the CF saber (esp. the clamp) also match those of the MPP shots.

This is what I think we can safely deduce so far:

1) The PoSW pic saber = the B&W pic saber
2) These sabers look as if they have wires coming out of their port holes

For all the reasons I mentioned above, it's not that much more of a leap to conclude that:

3) PoSW pic saber = B&W pic saber = CF pic saber,
and that the supposed 'button' on the CF pic is actually not a button but wires.

Yeah, a shot of the endcap would probably put this whole thing to rest, but I doubt we'd get a higher res version of the Sithlife323 pic.

Lonepigeon, Paul, Chip, I'm very interested in what the heck is that thing on the clamp. Looks like an upgrade to the nail they apparently used on the ANH saber.

OK, Did anybody notice this little piece that I circled? I looked at my replica and I can't find anything that resembles it.

But when I look at my King Sol, I can see it there.

Vader%20King%20Sol1.jpg

I could have missed it in this thread somewhere, but what is that piece there? If it was just a shadow, I don't think that it would be darker than the rest of the shadow around it. It seems to have some depth to it towards the top, bottom and the side. You can see definite lines IMHO.

Comments?

And the link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowKnight626/files/Vader%20King%20Sol1.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back