Captain Marvel

I always thought of The Black Hole as more 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in space.
I can see the similarities. Both 2KL and Island have megalomaniac scientists who think they know better. Given Reinhardt's experimentation on the crew, his monstrous right-hand 'bot, and his drive to shatter a barrier of scientific knowledge, I see him as more of a Moreau than a Nemo. And both have castaways caught up in things as the reader's vantage point.

E253A1A0-54D1-4EBD-BAD2-9B0DED55456A.jpeg

I can see the similarities. Both 2KL and Island have megalomaniac scientists who think they know better. Given Reinhardt's experimentation on the crew, his monstrous right-hand 'bot, and his drive to shatter a barrier of scientific knowledge, I see him as more of a Moreau than a Nemo. And both have castaways caught up in things as the reader's vantage point.
It very much follows "Dante's Inferno". It even ends with a view of the hordes marching through hell and the trip into some wonderous place left to the imagination. (In "Dante's Inferno", a trip through heaven was supposed to be the sequel.) My vote for scariest movie of all time "Event Horizon", owes a ton to "The Black Hole". Both underrated movies.

Not looking too good from the Major league critics. It's getting a 63% from them. These are the NYT, Chicago Sun level. They do not fear the "mouse" like the Colider, Screen Junkies do...

Captain Marvel (2019)

Edit- I noticed when you hit the link it takes you to the main list. Hit the (more info) and select the Top Critics

Btw, I've been waiting for a Black Widow movie since Iron Man 2...

Ever since the problems with TLJ and then the boycott of Solo there has been this strong debate just how much of an effect certain social media and movie review sites will have on the box office performance of a movie.

This film should be a litmus test for that.

Having read many of the reviews this morning for CM, there is nothing really significantly different from the other MCU origin movies such as the likes of "Captain America" and "Thor", of which it is tracking slightly above at this moment. The overall bulk of the critics liked it, but didn't absolutely love it, a much smaller proportion thought it brought nothing new to the genre or the MCU and had other issues with it and rated it negatively.

However, it is clearly not being as well received as DCs " Wonder Woman" with which it is being heavily compared and there seem to be a few key reasons for this.

Firstly , the story does seem to suffer a bit structurally in the way it is being told ie in many flashbacks, so thats not surprising.
Unless you have the time to really explore and see how the past effects the characters story arc then it can create problems for audiences. This seems to be partly the case with CM, they've tried to do it differently ie NOT entirely like the other MCU origin movies , mainly because of the way the story needs to work. But I guess as there would be just as many if not more negative comments posted they had done it just exactly the same as the others. Damned if you do ,damned if you don't.

Secondly, because of this , the character is less likable and dehumanized for alot more of the film than some may have preferred .
Its this division between the fully formed, super powerful and emotionless warrior "Vers" and the original person she was that seems to make CM and Carol Danvers more difficult to relate to through the movie , as opposed to the more emotionally engaging journey of a godmade Amazonian Princess through to becoming Diana Prince and Wonder Woman.

CM seems to suffer more from the comparison to that character than simply being just another MCU film with a female lead. Its the lack of exploration and the successful development of Carol Danvers more human side that seems to be the sticking point for a fair percentage for critics until towards the later parts of the movie.

Thirdly, its an origin movie. All the MCU movies that introduce new characters are generally less successful than their sequels. Its what they do with them next that seems to bring the best out of them and I think the same will be true for next CM standalone.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much else to worry about unless you were really are dead set against it anyway.

Predictably the negative aspects have been leapt upon and promoted as a reason for not going to see the movie.

I've been to see loads of films many other people disliked or rubbished over the decades and enjoyed them regardless , and I don't think CM will be any different to any other MCU movie, because with the exception of "Iron Man II", I've really enjoyed all of them, and they remain my most rewatched movies to date.

Last edited:
I have dis-liked the Captain Marvel comics for the last ten or so years. Always thought she was way op. So when I heard they were pushing CM to be placed in End Game I was not happy. The Russo bros fought to not include this character since thematically it kills the last 11 years of build up. To have an unknown character swooping in last minute to defeat the foe is bad story for any media.

Imagine, you're reading a really fun novel and in the second to the last chapter they introduce a character who is more powerful than any have been in the last 11 chapters. No falts, frailties or weaknesses of any kind. Then the last chapter is the one to defeat the villain leaving all the other heros wondering who is this? And where the hell were they when NY was being destroyed?

Oh, and during the introduction chapter they completely change a linch pin character just so they can give reasons why the new character needs to be there..

I am no way scared or sexist towards women. My top five favorite bands have female leads, my top ten films all have ether a strong female lead or main character. I just want a good character who belongs there with out trying to guilt me because I'm a white male over 40. Everything I've heard about CM; from the director, star, studio and critics is that it is a feminist vehicle that at times bashes you in the head style.

That does not sound like a fun MCU film.

Now this is not confirmed but there is a leak that two cuts of End Game. Depending on how CM is received will determine which cut is released.

I really want to have this confirmed ether way.

I have dis-liked the Captain Marvel comics for the last ten or so years. Always thought she was way op. So when I heard they were pushing CM to be placed in End Game I was not happy. The Russo bros fought to not include this character since thematically it kills the last 11 years of build up. To have an unknown character swooping in last minute to defeat the foe is bad story for any media.

Imagine, you're reading a really fun novel and in the second to the last chapter they introduce a character who is more powerful than any have been in the last 11 chapters. No falts, frailties or weaknesses of any kind. Then the last chapter is the one to defeat the villain leaving all the other heros wondering who is this? And where the hell were they when NY was being destroyed?

Oh, and during the introduction chapter they completely change a linch pin character just so they can give reasons why the new character needs to be there..

I am no way scared or sexist towards women. My top five favorite bands have female leads, my top ten films all have ether a strong female lead or main character. I just want a good character who belongs there with out trying to guilt me because I'm a white male over 40. Everything I've heard about CM; from the director, star, studio and critics is that it is a feminist vehicle that at times bashes you in the head style.

That does not sound like a fun MCU film.

Now this is not confirmed but there is a leak that two cuts of End Game. Depending on how CM is received will determine which cut is released.

I really want to have this confirmed ether way.

Again, all speculation until both films are released.
There isn't much point in getting annoyed at something that has not and may not happen.
I can understand your concerns that Carol may be used as Deus Ex Machina but as I said, there is no evidence so far to support your worries.
Marvel have earned enough kudos in the last 11 years to deliver a truly epic film in Endgame and with many heroes likely to have their swansong in April, it makes sense to line up a worthy successor, it's just a shame that a vocal minority of the internet can't handle it being Captain Marvel.

"... no faults or frailties..."

Seriously? So, tell me, what are THOR'S faults and frailties? How is a literal GOD not OP, but Carol Danvers, in your estimation, somehow is?
Not to really pick a side or anything cause Im not in the mood to get yelled at, but Thors whole first movie was about him learning humility and to not be so arrogant, which is definitely a fault. Thor 2 sucked, and I only saw it once so I dont remember it, but in Ragnarok, he learned the value of sacrifice by having to try and save his planet, but realizing the only way to do so was fulfill the prophecy of Ragnarok. He learned how to focus his power, and be more powerful than he thought he could be. I think Thor has had the most arc out of any of the characters in the MCU.

Keep in mind, Thor has been there since the start. Thats quite a bit of time to grow with the character. What Im afraid of, I have mentioned before, is CM is going to swoop in and save the day at the last minute. Kind of like how Superman did in Justice League. There was no reason for the rest of the team with Superman there. If thats how Endgame is going to be, especially with no Adam Warlock, Im going to be furious.

Not to really pick a side or anything cause Im not in the mood to get yelled at, but Thors whole first movie was about him learning humility and to not be so arrogant, which is definitely a fault. Thor 2 sucked, and I only saw it once so I dont remember it, but in Ragnarok, he learned the value of sacrifice by having to try and save his planet, but realizing the only way to do so was fulfill the prophecy of Ragnarok. He learned how to focus his power, and be more powerful than he thought he could be. I think Thor has had the most arc out of any of the characters in the MCU.

And in the comics, Carol's arrogance and tendency to want to punch out the problems is one of her biggest current faults (she's had others in the past, such as alcoholism and serious trust issues). My point is that if Thor isn't OP in gobler's mind, Carol shouldn't be either.

And in the comics, Carol's arrogance and tendency to want to punch out the problems is one of her biggest current faults (she's had others in the past, such as alcoholism and serious trust issues). My point is that if Thor isn't OP in gobler's mind, Carol shouldn't be either.
I never read any Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel comics so I cant comment on that. I did however read an interview with the Russos and they were saying that her power levels were problematic. Not to mention, Nick Fury didnt think to call her during the events of the first Avengers? Why now? Was that not a big enough threat? Like I said, I dont want her to nullify the whole team just cause. That would be a complete insult to the fans. I have faith in Marvel, but I would be lying if I wasnt worried that they could screw up the last movie in this iteration of the MCU.

Not to mention, Nick Fury didnt think to call her during the events of the first Avengers? Why now? Was that not a big enough threat?

This is kind of revisionist because we know the real life reason, but, in universe, at the time of the first Avengers movie, Fury was still trying to build the team. He needed to know whether or not this group could function together to be "Earth's mightiest heroes". I'm sure if things really started getting dire he would've reached out to Carol.

This is kind of revisionist because we know the real life reason, but, in universe, at the time of the first Avengers movie, Fury was still trying to build the team. He needed to know whether or not this group could function together to be "Earth's mightiest heroes". I'm sure if things really started getting dire he would've reached out to Carol.

Regarding not calling her in the Avengers:
Carol isn't Lila Cheney. She can't teleport across vast distances of space to be where she needs to be instantly. It would have taken time for her to get to Earth from where she is and quite likely by the time she got there, the battle would've been over one way or the other.

The Avengers was an attack on one city and therefore fairly contained. The Snap was something that was much BIGGER and when Fury realized that, he reached out because he realized that even if it took time for her to get there, there would still be a need for her help.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back