Captain Marvel

I agree Bree seems somewhat wooden in the trailers. Even a Marvel apologist like me appreciates that Gal Gadot’s WW seems a richer performance right now. I hope there’s more to her in the movie.

I’m also hoping there’s no love interest.

I agree Bree seems somewhat wooden in the trailers. Even a Marvel apologist like me appreciates that Gal Gadot’s WW seems a richer performance right now. I hope there’s more to her in the movie.

I’m also hoping there’s no love interest.

I agree. I've been excited for Captain Marvel, but something feels...off about the trailer. I'm hoping that it will be better in the actual film.

I guess I don't get the hate/concern.

Every Marvel movie that has set up a new character has had that character "pre final form". They've been uncertain of their place in things, and not quite the people that they will become.

-Tony is a selfish warmongering arms dealer
-Thor is an entitled frat boy
-Steve Rogers is literally a physical failure, and even once he becomes captain america, isn't really challenged to become the captain we know and love until he has to face the prospect of dealing with another super soldier
-The Guardians of the Galaxy hate each other, and are all considered felons or war criminals through most of the film
-Scott Lang is a criminal that doesn't know how to make a living any other way
-Every supporting character without a movie gets introduced as a rougher version of what they are, and we see them grow and adapt over the course of a film or so

But Captain Marvel comes along as an origin story, and a woman that's had her memory wiped, personality altered, physical body modified, and been pressed into service as an alien FBI agent, who's now learning that so much of what she knows might be a lie, while struggling to rediscover who she even is (let alone what), must be ultra confident, clear headed, and certain of everything about who and what she is willing and able to do with herself from the get go. Sheesh.

Last edited:
But Captain Marvel comes along as an origin story, and a woman that's had her memory wiped, personality altered, physical body modified, and been pressed into service as an alien FBI agent, who's now learning that so much of what she knows might be a lie, while struggling to rediscover who she even is (let alone what)

I didn't say she needed to act "ultra confident, clear headed, and certain of everything"... I just said she needed to act... you know, like an actor.

Imma see it because it's Marvel but I am still just not hyped. Yeah Larson is probably supposed to play a character who doesn't know who they are... doesn't mean she has to act like she's reading from a prompter. Everything just seems super awkward for her, nothing flows. In the words of Gordon Ramsay, this one is bland.

I thought Marvel did a pretty damn good job of selling Brie as "Marvel" in this latest trailer, tonely its fairly different to the last two, more like a regular action movie trailer with a lot of humour worked into it.
I don't understand alot of this negativity for Brie. She was a pretty good heroine in "Kong: Skull Island" . A huge amount of just how successfully a movie works comes from the script and how the character beats are written, and Marvel Studios has a pretty reliable history when it comes to that.
I'm looking forward to it.
Okay I'll admit not quite as much as "Endgame" , but I'm really interested to see how it all weaves into the MCU, the deaged Nick Fury and Coulson work far better than I ever thought they could make them look, and, of course, its the " End of credits" scene I can't wait for. Its a good bet that one of her recieving the call from Fury, but theres an absolute killer twist to that I hope they might do.

Good grief I can't even say dammmmm in the forum now !

...Good grief I can't even say dammmmm in the forum now !

You can. When the new forum got up and running the default content filter for everyone's profile is set to asterisk out certain words when you SEE them. It doesn't actually change the content of your post (the word still gets posted). Folks that have gone into their settings and turned their content filter off, see whatever you wrote in it's entirety, even though YOUR content filter is censoring it. :p

Go get in your settings and turn the filter off! Revel in gritty gutter mindedness with the rest of us!

Hmmmm.

Alot of criticism being levelled at Brie Larson for appearing "wooden" and "expressionless" in the early trailers and apparently at the recent test screenings.

Please bear in mind she has essentially had her mind "wiped" and then re imprinted as a Kree warrior and she only becomes more "human" when she returns to Earth and starts rediscovering and interacting with people from her past (think Jason Bourne, particularly the first one "The Bourne Identity". Nobody complains about Matt Damon being a fairly emotionless killer in that one ).

I thought she was good in "Kong :Skull Island" and the vibe I'm getting is this is going to be like an 80/90's "buddy" movie for the most part. I think most of us will very pleased with the final result. Not long now.

I've felt like the last few trailers/clips that have been released have shown her being more relaxed and having fun with the role... Still, people are judging a 90-150 minute movie by perhaps 5 minutes of footage, all told between the various bits and pieces out there.

I really try hard not to judge movies by trailers (though sometimes it's patently obvious that they're showing all the best bits to try to get you into the theater). As a Captain Marvel fan, I am completely jazzed for this movie.

Last edited:
Well, there are now screenings a couple of weeks ahead of the release as per usual, and the feedback has been pretty strong ie Its another marvel movie that's great, feels unlike the others that have gone before it, in that its got a definite 90's actioner vibe, with plenty of MCU galaxy building weirdness thrown in, like many of us were guessing at. Brie seems to have nailed it, so its another feather in the cap for Marvel.

The first reactions to Captain Marvel are in and they are GOOD

As regards feedback a while ago about the cat "out acting" Brie, the truth seems to be more in line with the fact that the cat has actually got some excellent moments and quirky scenes that will appeal to a lot of people.

And Stan Lee gets a final special cameo

We'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
This guy is one of the most reliable and informative sources I've ever watched, and he's pretty damn accurate as well. There are slight spoilers, but not for anybody who knows a little about the characters.

Again, he substantiates most of whats been said, particularly the cat elements, which, full credit to Kev again, seems absolutely the right thing to have done.

If Marvel have gotten "Captain Marvel" to work as well as it seems to have done, then I would hope that Lucasfilm / Star Wars and the Star Trek: Discovery teams can learn from them and give us compelling well written characters that can be respected by everybody.

Hell, I've watched four series over the last month that just blew me away in terms of expectations and the entire cast were great. "Russian Doll" and "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix and ,being in the UK I finally managed to get hold of "The Expanse: Season 3" and "The Orville" on DVD. Not only are most of the stories great (if not entirely concept original in some cases) but its the character arcs and dialogue and behaviours that just completely win you over.

I'm honestly not that excited over this character really, but in the grand scheme of the whole connecting storyline of the MCU and Infinity War bridge story I am very much on board with seeing the film.

I bought my ticket weeks ago and am just excited to see another chapter of this before the big conclusion in Endgame (and what's to come beyond that).

I love the 2006 to 2010 run of Ms Marvel, 50 solid issues of Carol Danvers.
I've booked a half day off work to see the 1st IMAX 3D showing of Captain Marvel with my girlfriend. We have a tradition of watching each new Marvel film on release day then going for a top quality steak after the film and talking about what we just saw.

I can't wait to see Carol's debut and the introduction of the Skrulls to the MCU is equally exciting. Nick Fury and Phil Coulson's inclusion are the icing on the cake.

Brie is a great actress.

Interesting. I can kind of guess where Marvel will be going next, but what are the Skrulls looking for on Earth!!!!? Nice to see Gemma Chan is in this as well (for those who don't watch it in the UK she plays the lead robot in "Human").

PS Just found out who Gemma is playing in the movie, but its a bit of a spoiler, so go look for it if you want to know.

Last edited:
On YouTube there seem to be a few videos about this movie having low audience expectations and stuff about Brie Larson doing “damage control”... I haven’t watched any of those videos so I can't say what they were all about. I avoid all news so I can go to the screening with a clear head.

I even hear some saying this movie could herald the downfall of the MCU - which sounds utterly ridiculous. (Didn't they say that about Ant-Man?) Even if it was bad it would take much more than one film to wreck the MCU fandom.

I have my tickets for the end of this week so I'll see for myself. The only way I might be disappointed is if it ends up wearing a feminist message too much on its own sleeve - which is not how I recall Ms. Marvel from the comics of the 1970's and 80's. The comics would have been cringey if she, say, constantly battled against symbols of male chauvinism. I thought the comics made a stronger statement by simply depicting her with inherent credibility and independence. As a teenager I just thought she was a cool character with a cool design standing toe-to-toe with other superheroes who also had nothing to prove.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back