Captain Marvel (Post-release)

What did you think of Captain Marvel?

• Total voters
Not my favorite Marvel movie, but still a very good movie and a nice addition to the MCU.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Skrull/Kree conflict

Yea, throughout all of Agents of SHIELD he's stone faced. He has a few "trademark" versions of happy and sad, but they're very "defeatist" expressions. You're more likely to see him "happy" in a scene where he's smirking a little and saying "Well, on the bright side, we'll suffocate long before we starve", as they're trapped in a cave or something.

TESSERACT!!!
Can anyone breakdown for me the travel timeline for the tesseract.
They have it in 1995 ala Captain Marvel
But it was found in the ice with Captain America in 2012.
Really confused here, did i miss something?

it wasn't with cap in the ice. After Red Skulls turned to ash, the teseract burned it's way through the hull, and fell into the ocean. Cap then steered the plane away from civilization, and crashed it in the arctic.

In hopes of finding Cap, Stark (and presumably the US gov) track the teseract energy signature, in hopes that it's still on the plane with Cap. they find the teseract, but no plane.

I would imagine, it was then in stark/US hands until the 80's/90's, at which point, the Air Force was given the green light to try and use it in a developmental aircraft engine, leading to project Pegasus from Captain Marvel. probably another safe bet that the reason Mar-Vel was doing the development on earth, is that she found the teseract there, and decided to try and do the work inside the organization instead of absconding with it completely; plus it was already out of the way enough to be considered safe. That, and the Kree never knew the nature of the power source. they thought she was designing something, not harnessing something. if She'd dipped out of earth with an infinity stone, they'd have simply taken it from her (I suspect).

It didn't end up in S.H.I.E.L.D. hands until after the events in Captain Marvel, when the hairball of destiny was hawked up on Fury's desk.

Last edited:
TESSERACT!!!
I was thinking the same thing. They haven't been sloppy with keeping track of story elements, so I'm guessing we either missed something, or it supports a theory I have for 'Endgame'.

TESSERACT!!!

Timeline of the Tesseract...
Captain Marvel’s origin has ties to the MCU’s earliest days

In short, the Tesseract went from Thor’s dad to Norway to Nazis/Hydra to the ocean to Iron Man’s dad to Project PEGASUS to a space station to an alien cat’s stomach back to SHIELD to Loki to Asgard to Loki to Thanos.

TESSERACT!!!

Actually, Howard found it a long time before the Avengers and was experimenting with it. Fury specifically says they started using it to make WEAPONS after Thor's visit.

Actually, Howard found it a long time before the Avengers and was experimenting with it. Fury specifically says they started using it to make WEAPONS after Thor's visit.

Or at least wanted to... I think the only "New" weapon they actually managed to make after Thor showed up was the Destroyer rifle.

Watch Iron Man 2 again. When Tony's going through his dad's notebook and screening the films. What Howard figured out from studying the Tesseract he couldn't accomplish with the technology of his time. The arc reactor he created with Anton Vanko was an early step, but one he couldn't progress beyond, so he encoded it in the layout of the '74 Stark Expo. What Tony synthesized for his new arc reactor is Tesseract-stuff.

Mar-Vell was using it as the basis of her research for the lightspeed engine in Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. -- but that was a NASA/US Air Force project. Given part of why Howard formed S.H.I.E.L.D. in '49 was to keep the stuff he was studying and building from getting into the hands of the government, what is presently unrevealed is how, when, and why he gave the Tesseract to Mar-Vell (and whether he knew she was an alien). After "Lawson"'s death in '89, the Project was shelved. Then Howard died in '91. In '96 both Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. and the Tesseract were claimed by S.H.I.E.L.D. and the World Security Council and research continued for the next fourteen years, which is where Dr. Selvig came into the picture in the after-credits scene of Thor, during "Fury's Big Week".

Also, the Red Skull didn't "turn to ash". The Tesseract transported him somewhere else in the universe, as we saw in Infinity War.

I think the only "New" weapon they actually managed to make after Thor showed up was the Destroyer rifle.
Nope. Cap finds crates of other weapons on the Helicarrier, and Tony's cracking of the ship's security lets him call up Tesseract-based missile schematics.

It might just be me, but the RLM guys don't seem to actually like anything, and their 'comedy' bit lead ins are of questionable comedic value.
I get that all their notoriety comes from a detailed and lengthy diatribe on the prequels, so maybe just not liking things is their brand, but I can't get on board with their show.

Maybe I'm wrong and they actually have nice things to say about movies they've enjoyed, but they only seem to pop up on threads where they bag on stuff so I've never really found their commentary to be worthwhile.

Saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it.

I'd give it a B+ (8/10).

Some awesome moments, CMs "transformation" scenes were wonderfully done, a rare combination of power and visual beauty that really moved me, for reasons I don't really get. They just did.

Brie made a strong impression on me as CM,so I don't understand many of the critics complaints. Compared to the likes of Jason Bourne (the same kind of memory loss flashbacks), she was way more lively and engaging, even as "Vers". I get she was nowhere near as sympathetic as Dianas WW, but she is a very different character. A couple of moments felt written a little off for her, but as she recovered her memories of Carol Danvers she became more as I imagined she should be ,and the flashbacks made total sense to the story. I really don't see how they were a problem either.

Her buddy relationship with Nick Fury was great fun (the "deaging" was so astonishingly brilliant you just ended up NOT noticing it !!!) though again there were a couple of moments I felt were poorly done for him, not too many, but it jarred with the character. On the whole it was another very enjoyable MCU team up.

And kudos to the VFX teams again. Maybe because my cinema has had a new upgrade but CM looked , with certain exceptions, great ,particularly the space craft battles. A few too many scenes for my liking were shot with an excessive degree of that "Solo" darkness which made it difficult to easily see what was going on, but it wasn't a fatal flaw, just occasionally annoying.

I was pretty surprised by the choice of what they did with the Skrulls and I'm not too certain how that will work out going forward. But I very much preferred this version of how Carol was transformed into CM, because of what is likely to come in "Endgame" it actually made alot of sense. Given how Thanos absolutely wipes the floor with the Avengers at the end of "Infinity War" they are going to need an edge, and I think done this way, the CM / T link will provide that without going too far.

There was one terrible use of a soundtrack song ( and overall the songs used weren't that great) during the end space fight , I didn't like how Fury lost his eye,and the idiotic Poe Dameron /Jude Law confrontation at the end lost making it a total "A" grade for me, but only just. It was still a very enjoyable and strong Marvel movie, and I thought a great introduction for CM into that universe..

Last edited:
I've been reading Marvel comics since I was 10, this movie brought back many of those moments...the MCU I believe will have a whole new look and feel with Capt. Marvel, we'll have to see.

I like the quick backstory worked in with the overall content...like all new characters I think it will take a movie or two to get the feel and find the passion most have with there favorite character...after all we all love and dislike some let's be honest.

Being a die hard Marvel fan I'm looking forward to watching her development and the direction the MCU will now take.

Next stop Endgame...!!!

I pretty much agree with Mike's review here. I don't think the film was as unbearably "SJW" as I feared but it's still not a very strong film.
I like his treatment starting @ 22:18.

It might just be me, but the RLM guys don't seem to actually like anything, and their 'comedy' bit lead ins are of questionable comedic value.
I get that all their notoriety comes from a detailed and lengthy diatribe on the prequels, so maybe just not liking things is their brand, but I can't get on board with their show.
They can be absolutely savage (and unfair IMO) with films that I do like but I don't think Mike was all that harsh about CM, in this case. Wisely they got the issues with Brie out of the way before even talking about the movie.

Their review was surprisingly straightforward. They were critical of small details me but they didn't use that criticism to lampoon the film into the ground.
The best part really had nothing to with the movie itself.
It was a family that was leaving the theater.
Their little girl went to the movie dressed in a flight suit. She was so elated.
I've got my personal gripes about the film but I keep that between my wife and myself. My two daughters liked Captain Marvel (they liked Thor Ragnarok, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange a lot more). The dad in me enjoys everything that gives them joy. But I draw the line at getting that orange cat no matter how much they're begging me.

I was going to put off seeing it because honestly the trailers didn't make me interested in seeing it. Just didn't. We just got back from seeing it tonight and my basic general review is "It was a good, fun, entertaining Marvel film and I'm glad I went and saw it." If you never want to see it, cool. If you saw it and thought it was lousy, cool, but I'm glad I gave it a chance and I'm even happier I enjoyed it.

Now, to stay on-topic:
Overall, a nice addition to the MCU. One of the more entertaining origin films. It was pretty evident that it borrowed heavily from Guardians of the Galaxy, as if James Gunn's influence was hovering over it- not least during the humorous moments, which were great. (Also, Fleetwood Mac in GotG > No Doubt in CM.)

Sam Jackson carried a big part of the film on his capable shoulders and Clark Gregg brightens up any scene he's in.

Fairly weak villains. The evil-plot switcheroo was a bit like in another recdent SciFi movie, but more predictable and less engaging. I was hoping for more back-story on Ronan and the Accusers, but the Skrull and especially Ben Mendelsohn were great.

Brie Larson had some good moments but I agree with others that she didn't really own the part. Maybe it was the fault of the edit and not the actor, but her back-and-forth between 'cold', 'cocky' and 'vulnerable' didn't really gel. As a strong female character, she has a bit of road to travel before she can compete with the likes of Gamora, Black Widow and even Nebula in the MCU. Will be interesting to see if Endgame raises her awesome-level.

I'm glad I didn't pay much attention to the 'controversy' surrounding Larson before I saw the movie. I've actively started avoiding all the internet bickering around these things so I can just enjoy movies unbiased. Even so, there were a couple unnecessarily heavy-handed moments in there that felt a little finger-pointy, possibly just because I knew there was a controversy. But overall I don't see a problem with the movie on a whole in that regard.

One of the things that bugged me though, and it's become a trend with many modern big-budget movies, is actors not actually looking the part they are playing- either through miscasting or wardrobe and makeup. Example: John Connor in Terminator Salvation always looks like he just came out of the spa, not like a gritty resistance fighter who's been through hell. Sara Connor in the same film looks frail and thin; as great as Emilia Clarke is in Game of Thrones, Linda Hamilton in Terminator 1+2 in comparison looks like she can kick her butt to the moon and back. In Captain Marvel, neither Larsen nor Lynch were really believable as fighter pilots. Larsen fared better than Lynch, but she still felt inauthentic. Maybe they were too 'cleanly' made-up and styled, maybe it was the way they acted, or something else. Having only seen it once, I can't put my finger on it.

I also really liked CM's costume. Interestingly, it looked a little less complex technically than some of the recent MCU suits (i.e. no fifty layers of different rubber-printed fabrics). Maybe the designers wanted to encourage lots of cosplayers by not making it too hard to replicate.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back