Captain America Helmet Build

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks!

I decided Thursday afternoon that my Cap Shield on the wall looked pretty lonely, so I decided to make it a buddy! Here is how I've gotten to where I am so far. (Sorry for the craps pics! I didn't plan on posting this originally!)

IMAG0590.jpg

This is the rough sculpt that I started with. Sculpted over a friend's life cast in WED clay. It took about an hour and a half.

IMAG0601.jpg

I then fiberglassed over the sculpt. I didn't want to bother with a waste mold as this is a personal project. Not much of a budget!

IMAG0611.jpg

Bondo, sand, repeat.

IMAG0647.jpg

After an awful lot of sanding and sanding and sanding... And sanding. This is where it's at. Nice and smooth!

IMAG0646.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it over all. It isn't perfect, but it's as close as I'm going to get by hand.

I don't quite know how I'm going to do the piping on the side and around the bottom, but I'm very open to suggestions!

Let me know what you guys think!

Looking great man. I really need to make one of these.

Thanks!

It was a lot of fun, and I think I've only got about 6 hours (not including drying time of Bondo and primer) over the course of three days on it.

If you end up giving it a go, I'd suggest sorting out the lining on the bottom and temples first. I'm just kind of scratching my head wondering how to go about it now! :lol

I hadn't thought of that. Great idea. I was looking into rubber and foam but plastic does seem to be the right way to go.

I'll try and pick some up and see how I do. Thanks again!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back