Captain America First Avenger ww2 compass

Yeah, my pic was designed to print at actual size & fit in one of the modern metal repro compasses (which I unfortunately bought years ago). Should be pretty close to the same size as a period one, I hope.

I'm delighted to see this prop reappear, but a little disappointed in the use of the obviously modern repro in the Endgame footage. Still, I guess that makes my cheapie replica screen-accurate...

I'm about to purchase a vintage Gurley compass, but I noticed the one in Endgame is different. In Endgame the directional text is green, the sight reticle piece isn't a perfect circle, and the hinge bar is completely different. It looks like the one they're using now is a modern reproduction.

View attachment 1014133

This cheap Chinese one on Amazon looks the part for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-552-P-Metal-Lensatic-Compass/dp/B000MESAIS
I am so glad I read through this entire thread. I have just been planning to make that compass. The picture was impossible to find until I found this thread. I found the original compass … Almost, on eBay and they’re like close to $200. Then I found the brilliant observation that endgame is using the cheap copy . And I am a happy camper. Just ordered one of those :) thanks to everybody who is contributing here.

Here's what I normally do to get the right scale. I open up a blank document in Word then paste the image onto it. If you double click on the image and then click the size tab, you'll see the scale of the image. Set it at 100% and print away.

Here's what I normally do to get the right scale. I open up a blank document in Word then paste the image onto it. If you double click on the image and then click the size tab, you'll see the scale of the image. Set it at 100% and print away.

Why have I never thought of that?

Picked up a compass today, not identical to either version. It's got the modern tapered hinge bar, but the lens is circular like the WWII version. Good enough for now.

Also I'm perfectly happy believing that Caps original compass was either lost to time, or it's in a museum. So there's no reason he couldn't have bought a new one. All that matters is that it points north accurately. The fact that Peggy's picture is cropped slightly differently works nicely in that scenario.

I don't have Word on my computer, so I'm trying to print it from Word Online and it only lets me change the size in inches, not percentage. What's the printed size of it?

Just finished mine thanks to this thread. I found a vintage compass on ebay which was distressed a bit.

3.jpg

4.JPG

Last edited:
I know that this thread is a bit old but I just picked up a compass myself so looking to find the right photo for it. bobatrek did a great job with the earlier pic but the photo of Peggy is not the one used in the TFA image. I believe the one below is much closer. I just need to figure out how to convert it to the old print look like bobatrek did, any ideas?

View attachment 639376

Really hadn't had one of these on my radar until I came across this post. Was able to find a vintage one on eBay for a very reasonable price and thanks to those who posted "Peggy" photos, was able to put my lady in and make a nice addition to my collection, even if not 100% movie accurate.

Just picked up a Stansport to make the End Game version of the compass. Would like track down a vintage one to do the TFA version. Saw one on ebay but it is shipping from Greece. Just fear of delay due to Covid.

Just picked up a Stansport to make the End Game version of the compass. Would like track down a vintage one to do the TFA version. Saw one on ebay but it is shipping from Greece. Just fear of delay due to Covid.
I saw that one from Greece when I was shopping for them too. Keep checking back and you should be able to find a better deal. I was able to get a vintage for $26 plus tax & shipping. Last I checked, there was one being shipped from California with a high bid of $5. The shipping was $70 though. I checked the seller's other items for sale and none were that inflated, so curious if it's a typo...may be worth an inquiry.

I saw that one from Greece when I was shopping for them too. Keep checking back and you should be able to find a better deal. I was able to get a vintage for $26 plus tax & shipping. Last I checked, there was one being shipped from California with a high bid of $5. The shipping was $70 though. I checked the seller's other items for sale and none were that inflated, so curious if it's a typo...may be worth an inquiry.

He has adjusted the US shipping to $8.45 now so that's worth a look!

If anyone is still looking for a vintage compass that won't break the bank, another just went up for auction a couple days ago....Ships from Missouri, USA.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back