Captain America First Avenger ww2 compass

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah, my pic was designed to print at actual size & fit in one of the modern metal repro compasses (which I unfortunately bought years ago). Should be pretty close to the same size as a period one, I hope.

I'm delighted to see this prop reappear, but a little disappointed in the use of the obviously modern repro in the Endgame footage. Still, I guess that makes my cheapie replica screen-accurate...

RayR

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm about to purchase a vintage Gurley compass, but I noticed the one in Endgame is different. In Endgame the directional text is green, the sight reticle piece isn't a perfect circle, and the hinge bar is completely different. It looks like the one they're using now is a modern reproduction.

View attachment 1014133

This cheap Chinese one on Amazon looks the part for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-552-P-Metal-Lensatic-Compass/dp/B000MESAIS
I am so glad I read through this entire thread. I have just been planning to make that compass. The picture was impossible to find until I found this thread. I found the original compass … Almost, on eBay and they’re like close to $200. Then I found the brilliant observation that endgame is using the cheap copy . And I am a happy camper. Just ordered one of those :) thanks to everybody who is contributing here.

kalkamel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's what I normally do to get the right scale. I open up a blank document in Word then paste the image onto it. If you double click on the image and then click the size tab, you'll see the scale of the image. Set it at 100% and print away.

LTsmash1200

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's what I normally do to get the right scale. I open up a blank document in Word then paste the image onto it. If you double click on the image and then click the size tab, you'll see the scale of the image. Set it at 100% and print away.
Why have I never thought of that?

Lightning

Picked up a compass today, not identical to either version. It's got the modern tapered hinge bar, but the lens is circular like the WWII version. Good enough for now.

Also I'm perfectly happy believing that Caps original compass was either lost to time, or it's in a museum. So there's no reason he couldn't have bought a new one. All that matters is that it points north accurately. The fact that Peggy's picture is cropped slightly differently works nicely in that scenario.

Synz314

I don't have Word on my computer, so I'm trying to print it from Word Online and it only lets me change the size in inches, not percentage. What's the printed size of it?