Captain America Boot Question...Cheap Movie Accurate, or Nice Less Movie Accurate?

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of putting together a Captain America costume. I've gotten one of the "cosplay" suits from Amazon that is basically the suit that was in the first Avengers movie.

I'm tossing all of the accessories with it, tailoring it to fit me better, and working on getting some better accessories. I didn't feel like I had the skills or the time to actually make the suit from scratch...however, going forward now that I see how it all fits together, I would probably try to make one myself if I ever did another one.

Anyways, I've got an idea for the gloves and gauntlets and an idea for the utility belt. Both will be made from things that I have laying around the house and a basic utility belt from Amazon.

The boots, though, have me in a bit of a pickle.

I'm struggling with two basic avenues...

...go with one of the ready made "cosplay" sets that I've found on Ebay. For what it's worth the seller has really good feedback, so while they probably aren't the BEST quality, they don't seem like they're TOTAL junk either...

...or...

...go with a higher quality, most likely more comfortable, set of paratrooper style boots and customize them to look like "Captain America" boots, but have them not really be accurate to the Avengers version of the suit??

For what it's worth, when I set out to make this costume, I was just planning on putting together a Captain America costume...I didn't have any particular version in mind...the suit from the Avengers just happens to be the one that I found that was the best price with the best reviews, so I went with that.

So, I'm looking for some input from fellow costume builders...should I go with one of the sets of boots that is more accurate when it comes to THIS PARTICULAR Captain America suit's look, or would I be best off going with something nicer that might not be 100% movie look correct, but might actually just look nicer in general??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff

Re: Captain America Boot Question...Cheap Movie Accurate, or Nice Less Movie Accurate

I built this one as well. I just found an old pair of corcoran boots, and made my own gaiters to fit on top of them. The film used an altered version like this as well.

Re: Captain America Boot Question...Cheap Movie Accurate, or Nice Less Movie Accurate

Jeff,

You can go with screen accurate Oakley SI's or try any 'actual' tactical boot with Avengers style gators.

But, You have the right idea about comfort. Don't know how long you plan to be dressed as Cap.... but bad boots is almost instant discomfort and you can always reuse a good pair of boots.

Okay cool, so they are Oakley SI?? I can get those through a program for work for much less than MSRP, so I will probably grab a pair of those.

I've found a pattern for some covers, so I can use that to get a good start for the "add-ons" for them, then mess with the pattern until I get it the way I want it.

Thanks guys!

I bought these for my costume. And their comfortable to wear all the time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back