Can't find Tony Stark's sunglasses from Iron Man 3

So I got the RB outdoorsman II glasses and I’m trying to make them movie accurate. I ordered a pair of vintage Ambermatic lenses from ebay(praying that they aren’t scratched at all) so the lenses will be changed. But I have no clue how to remove this sweat bar thing without damaging the frames...any suggestions??

Attachments

• 287FC756-1F85-4555-96A8-FCB46628F67B.jpeg
    287FC756-1F85-4555-96A8-FCB46628F67B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 186
  • 9C7CF655-E929-455A-92E7-4C2EA36C20E9.jpeg
    9C7CF655-E929-455A-92E7-4C2EA36C20E9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
So I got the RB outdoorsman II glasses and I’m trying to make them movie accurate. I ordered a pair of vintage Ambermatic lenses from ebay(praying that they aren’t scratched at all) so the lenses will be changed. But I have no clue how to remove this sweat bar thing without damaging the frames...any suggestions??
Let's bring back a rather high quality pic:
Outdoorsman II.png

To make them accurate, you'll sadly have to kind of "damage" them since removing a part of something is, well a damage, but it can be more of a surgical intervention, a sweat-bar-ectomy. Here's Wolfshire's instructions:
I just used a pair of small wire cutters right as the tab bends back and left a little extra that I cleaned up with a needle file and finished with some gloss black lacquer. It seems a lot to more intimidating than it actually is, plus I like the fit better now (which is probably why they did it on the film lmao). Hopefully that helps!
And it can be scary...
I also want to definitely answer the temples question with a screencap:
Capture d’écran 2019-08-16 à 09.32.58.png

UV have you had a chance to try and remove the gold on bridge from the concepts ?
Not yet, I haven't got around to it.
I don't think any remover or liquid will be effective in taking off that gold. I think it will have to be removed with a bit of careful and light sanding with fine grade. If any light marks end up on to the metal underneath, they can be buffed out.

Let's bring back a rather high quality pic:
View attachment 1048915
To make them accurate, you'll sadly have to kind of "damage" them since removing a part of something is, well a damage, but it can be more of a surgical intervention, a sweat-bar-ectomy. Here's Wolfshire's instructions:

And it can be scary...
I also want to definitely answer the temples question with a screencap:
View attachment 1048918
Great screencap of the temple tips man!...it's over in a millisecond, you must have a good pause button!

Last edited:
Great screencap of the temples man!
Thanks, I find very useful to have copies of a lot of marvel movies in my computer for image-per-image viewing, especially for that thread.
The more I look at the Outdoorsmans, the more I think it could be lenses closer to the Concept 2 or Garret Leight canal's rather than Ambermatics, what do you think ?

Might be going nuts here, but Aren’t the outdoorsman just the 3025’s with a bar on top?...therefore rather than removing the bar, just buying black 3025’s and changing the lenses would make more sense ?!

Might be going nuts here, but Aren’t the outdoorsman just the 3025’s with a bar on top?...therefore rather than removing the bar, just buying black 3025’s and changing the lenses would make more sense ?!
Depends on how screen accurate you want to go.
The 3029 Outdoorsman's without the sweatbar have the two small bits of metal remaining on the top.
You could I suppose buy 3025's and put the two small black bits on yourself somehow.

Last edited:
Thanks, I find very useful to have copies of a lot of marvel movies in my computer for image-per-image viewing, especially for that thread.
The more I look at the Outdoorsmans, the more I think it could be lenses closer to the Concept 2 or Garret Leight canal's rather than Ambermatics, what do you think ?
Yeah, in your high quality pic there, I would have to agree, they are neither orange or yellow. It's just that in other scenes they do look like the 3029 stock ambermatics.
If I'm not mistaken, do ambermatic (all weather) lenses change in color slightly to adapt to different lighting conditions, similar to transitions??...If they do, it would account for the different shades we are seeing on the pics, darker outdoors and lighter indoors.

Last edited:
Answered my own question...lol...

"Ambermatic lenses are light sensitive and adjust to light and weather conditions by transitioning from yellow, to a golden shade, to a deep vintage-y brown. The lens technology not only blocks glare but also improves contrast and sharpens details".

Looks like Ray-Ban had ambermatic technology as way back as 1974!

Last edited:
Answered my own question...lol...

"Ambermatic lenses are light sensitive and adjust to light and weather conditions by transitioning from yellow, to a golden shade, to a deep vintage-y brown. The lens technology not only blocks glare but also improves contrast and sharpens details".

Looks like Ray-Ban had ambermatic technology as way back as 1974!
Thanks for the info, then Iron Man 3 is a very good ad for ambermatic lenses, showing its different tints. I’m seeing a lot on eBay but I don’t know if they’re legit, fake or just yellow lenses, I might ask my local optician if he can help me with that

Thanks for the info, then Iron Man 3 is a very good ad for ambermatic lenses, showing its different tints. I’m seeing a lot on eBay but I don’t know if they’re legit, fake or just yellow lenses, I might ask my local optician if he can help me with that
Not a bad idea, especially if your Optician can show you the lenses in action first.
I too, have held back on the ebay lenses for the same reasons.
I'm sceptical that the "very yellow" replacements can transition all the way through orange, to a golden dark brown like the original ambermatics.

Hopefully, when Pottz gets his vintage ambermatic lenses and can confirm the change in tints, we can clear up any doubts or concerns on the RB3029's.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back