Can you smooth over latex ?

knight rider

Hi all,

Im working on my 89 Batman suit and the chest piece has a few flaws on it id like to sort out if possible. Ive never worked with latex before so im not sure if there is the equivalent of body filler for it ! lol

Id like to smooth out the imperfections and then try Plasti-dipping the whole thing to make it nice and uniform again

Thanks,

Scott

If you're careful, you can use liquid latex and build it up one thin layer at a time. Just be sure to tint it the correct black. This may sound daunting, because it is, but I wouldn't know of another to go about it.:lol

Mineral (white) spirits in a rag can be used to dissolve and smooth latex by rubbing hard, but it's not easy to get a perfectly even surface after repairs. Are you sure the one you have is latex? Most 89's these days are urethane and that can't be fixed with latex (or plastidip for that matter). Also, keep in mind that the original batsuit was foam latex and had a pretty rough surface, so if you want to get screen accurate, you might want to rough it up even more...

It was quite rough looking, as per the film but its got a few 'ding's on it, one is quite noticeable on one of the pecks that is annoying me so i was hoping to sort it out, not really the end of the world if i cant though as with the cape on etc i dont think it will be too noticeable.

I think it might be made of ureathane actually your right. very shiny on the inside and its more of a matt textured finish on the outside which matches the lower half of the cowl very well

10922533_10153067202259791_641543542020953833_n.jpg

You can see the imperfection there on the left peck !

You can fill these gaps with liquid latex (mix it with black acrylic paint and let it thicken).
After that you can airbrush the whole piece with a thinner mix of the same stuff.

To match the color, you can test it on the backside.

if your very careful you use a dremel sander or similar very careful mind!! sand away the imperfections, fill the low spots with latex
mixed with a filler like talc and black pigment in thin coats allowing to almost dry between coats,let completely dry, then wipe down the whole piece
with mineral spirit, or acetone, you must remove all traces of grease from the latex before you spray with plasidip to get a good adhesion
the spray plastidip is quite thick so be careful you dont overdo the coats . lots of thin ones are better than a thick dripping mess.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back