Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Ballistic Knife (non-functioning replica)

NinjaNate

Hello everyone,
Not sure if there are many Call of Duty fans on here, but I wanted to share this project with the site. This is the first build post I've done on here, so let me know if I can improve on anything. I've been a huge fan of the COD: Black Ops series and have wanted to make this knife since it premiered in Black Ops 2. I didn't know where to even start back then, but after following on here for awhile and watching some YouTube videos on how to make vector blueprints, I finally got something drawn up and was trying to figure out the layering and the path forward from there. I started with 1/2" sintra in the middle and 1/8" for the outer pieces.
SAM_0117.JPG
I don't remember the delay with the project, but about a year later the knife was brought into COD:Black Ops 3 and thanks to the amazing Theatre Mode that the game offered, I was able to screenshot some great images that helped me improve on the finer details that I didn't catch before....such as the shape of the holes in the blade and also a better look at how thick I should be making everything. So I drew up another blueprint.
IMG_20170902_144300.jpg
I felt like I needed to start over since the basic shape varied a little bit, so I decided to try and teach myself another skill and I imported my vector drawing into 123D design and started working on a 3d model of the handle. This part was extremely frustrating, but after about 12 hours and 3 versions I finished something I was happy with.Ballistic knife 3d model pic.PNG
It still had a few small defects to it, but it was still something I could work with. So I had it mirrored to give me 2 opposite sides and had it printed out. I ended up using a Dremel to get rid of the trigger and had to carve out a spot to insert a new trigger. I made a new one out of a piece of 1/4" sintra and sanded it to shape, After filling in some areas with Bondo to get rid of a large gap, I clamped the 2 halves together and drilled out the space where the 4 pins are. I decided to use 1/4" acrylic rods instead. I spent a lot of time looking into what I could use for the knurl type pattern in the recessed areas of the handle. I noticed that the handle on my Black and Decker heat gun had a very similar look so I made a small mold of the handle and cast out a small resin block that I shape to the size I needed and repeated the mold/cast step again to get me 2 identical pieces for each side.
IMG_20180626_202428.jpgIMG_20180214_152324.jpgIMG_20180523_195452.jpg
Everything assembled to make sure it felt right....
IMG_20180523_200618.jpg
Last 2 steps before molding it were deciding on the grip and carbon fiber accent for the handle. I decided to go with a textured spray paint applied and then I used a needle file to clean up the groove around the handle. For the carbon fiber accent, I took a chance and applied a piece of vinyl tape to the master and hoped the detail would transfer to the final product. I took one final pic before I added some registration keys to the mold.
IMG_20180523_220533.jpgIMG_20180526_203333.jpg
The first pull had a large air bubble, but the second one turned out great!
IMG_20180601_153131.jpg
I couldn't find the perfect color for this but I found something that I liked and went with it, Volpin Props had rubbed some graphite over this black paintjob for the Militech Crusher he did, and I thought that look would be the closest thing I could get for this ballistic knife. I used black plasti dip on the textured handle to make it more realistic and tried to make the knife look weathered a bit. I also worked on creating a display for it.
IMG_20180607_161606.jpg
I put this off longer than I wanted to for a personal project, but I was very satisfied with the end result. If anyone has any advice for me on this build either for improvements or things I could have done better, please let me know. Thanks-

Attachments

• IMG_20180611_181325.jpg
    IMG_20180611_181325.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back